What's the best remake you've ever heard/seen

Okay, not sure I would committ to this being the "best" remake ever, but "Out Of Sight" with George Cloony and Jennifer Lopez was a great film, as was the original...back in the days when Lopez was known more for being a really good actress (by Hollywood standards that is) instead of J-Lo!

Music: Rolling Stones "Time Is On My Side", a great cover of a great old Carla Thomas song!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just off the top of my head I would say "The Fly"

IMHO it was actually better than the original.

A close second:  "Planet of the Apes"

347296[/snapback]

You mean that Tim Burton piece of crap? Ugh. Unwatchable. Somene gave me the dvd and its the only one I've given away.

No comparison to the orginal, I'm still wondering how Burton could screw that up so bad. A "remake" should have some resemblance to the orginial, at least follow the plotline a little.

"Apes?"

"Got it"

"Planet?"

"Got it."

"Ok, let's roll."

My favorite movie remake of all time has gotta be Scarface (surprised this wasn't listed already). It was inspired by the 1932 film by the same name that was inspired by Al Capone.

My favorite remake of a song is WHere Did You Sleep Last Night by Nirvana off of their Unplugged Album. Completely paranoid version and slower in tempo makes it much more emotional.

She's Not There (from the album "Moonflower", Santana's remake of The Zombies hit) purely masterful. One of the best guitar songs ever.

347220[/snapback]

Just curioius, do you know that Black Magic Woman was also a remake?

You beat me to it. The remake of The Thing was great. Way better than the original.

347355[/snapback]

Also the movies ending just begs for a sequel. Has always puzzled me why there hasnt been one yet.

Movie

"The Thing"

Song

"Purple Haze" by The Cure

347088[/snapback]

Wow. Right-on on both. Can't believe someone would mirror my tast that completely. I actually like the Cure's version much more then the original.

For the movies I would add Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Folks reactions are interesting. I'd agree that the remake of the Thing was a superior redo to the original.

347310[/snapback]

I loved the remake, but that does not mean the original was inferior. It is to this day a classic in the genra.

You mean that Tim Burton piece of crap? Ugh.  Unwatchable.  Somene gave me the dvd and its the only one I've given away.

No comparison to the orginal, I'm still wondering how Burton could screw that up so bad. A "remake" should have some resemblance to the orginial, at least follow the plotline a little. 

"Apes?"

"Got it"

"Planet?"

"Got it."

"Ok, let's roll."

347361[/snapback]

I wasn't a huge fan of Burton's Planet of the Apes, but for different reasons.

Unlike Max Fischer of Rushmore here, I think remakes are better when they take the original material in a completely different direction and re-imagine it rather than merely re-hash it. So, the criticism that the film doesn't mimic the original is baseless, if you ask me.

Burton's Planet of the Apes failed primarily because it was an incoherent mess and gave me no reason to be at all interested in the actions occuring on screen.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which definitely seems to be putting a unique spin on the tale and is famously more faithful to author Dahl's vision.

I always saw that it was written by an unrecognizable name. I just never heard the original. who was it?

347600[/snapback]

It was written by Peter Green who was with Fleetwood Mac. Before Buckingham and Nicks, Fleetwood Mac was a blues band. Black Magic Woman was from their English Rose album. If you like blues, I would suggest that album or Then Played On. Then Played On rates in my top ten albums. Green is recognized as one of the all time great guitarists, however he is rather obscure to the mainstream.

I like the original but have to admit that Santana added a lot to the song with his interpretation. They are about equal for me, as I enjoy listening to both of them.

I wasn't a huge fan of Burton's Planet of the Apes, but for different reasons.

Unlike Max Fischer of Rushmore here, I think remakes are better when they take the original material in a completely different direction and re-imagine it rather than merely re-hash it. So, the criticism that the film doesn't mimic the original is baseless, if you ask me.

Burton's Planet of the Apes failed primarily because it was an incoherent mess and gave me no reason to be at all interested in the actions occuring on screen.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which definitely seems to be putting a unique spin on the tale and is famously more faithful to author Dahl's vision.

347540[/snapback]

Let me rephrase: If I was called "Man from Planet X" it would still suck, remake or not.