Movie Review.... Just got back from

i just saw the new longest yard and it was great, wanted to tell all of you that if you have the chance to go see it. I saw the original a long time ago but i dont remember if the new version is somewhat similar or not, anyways... go see it!!!

I always wonder about the psychology behind remakes. Certainly with music, someone may like a song so much they just want to sing it again. However, for me if I like the original so much, a redo usually sounds so wrong I do not like it.

The paradox is that even if they make the redo sound just like the original then why do it over?

A movie is a completely different thing than just a song. It can be so long, involved and detailed, its certainly different than a 3+ minute song, but this simply creates another paradox as maybe I don't remember everything so some is new (again), but again if it wasn't memorable then why re do it in the first place.

Oh well, I'm probably just over-thinking it. Its simply a marketing and generational decision. The Longest Yard is a great story. How can the modern 15-29 year old be expected to relate at all to a movie featuring a fuddy-duddy like Burt Reynolds that is from his parents age. Better to do the same film with a more modern icon like Adam Sandler and modern language (since Friends made what used to be an R rating PG today) to do the same schtick today to introduce a new generation to a well done great tale and take their nickels to boot.

This is a must see. Very good movie. Stayed pretty true to the original and was funny as hell.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.... :)

346942[/snapback]

I dont doubt the movie is good...its just that I have no idea why Adam Sandler is immensely popular.he wasnt funny on SNL.

I always wonder about the psychology behind remakes.  Certainly with music, someone may like a song so much they just want to sing it again. However, for me if I like the original so much, a redo usually sounds so wrong I do not like it.

347050[/snapback]

Hollywood is just plain out of ideas

Friday Night Lights was my favorite football movie. How does this movie stack up with say Varsity Blues or The Replacements?

347155[/snapback]

Forget them, I want to know how it stacks up against the greatest football movie of all time: Second String.

:)

Did any of you happen to catch one of the plays that the Mean Machine ran? Straight outta the Buffalo Bills' playbook... Fake QB sneak with a lateral back to the running back, a la the Seattle game.

Did any of you happen to catch one of the plays that the Mean Machine ran? Straight outta the Buffalo Bills' playbook...  Fake QB sneak with a lateral back to the running back, a la the Seattle game.

347300[/snapback]

I'll look for it. That was my favorite play of the season last year.

I always wonder about the psychology behind remakes.  Certainly with music, someone may like a song so much they just want to sing it again. However, for me if I like the original so much, a redo usually sounds so wrong I do not like it.

The paradox is that even if they make the redo sound just like the original then why do it over?

347050[/snapback]

You're completely missing the point of the cover song (the "redo," as you put it). The idea isn't to merely mimic or imitate the original song, but to take what is already there in terms of lyrics and a general idea of the melody and to re-imagine it and put a different spin on it.

The same applies to film. If you're going to just be a poor imitation of the original (such as 1998's Psycho remake), then why bother? The idea is to make it fresh, make it new, and to also stay faithful to the intended spirit.

One of my all time favorites also. I even got the DVD when it came out.

347373[/snapback]

Heck yeah. I mean, those other ones didn't have Van in them!

As to the Longest Yard redux - here's a different view from the BostonSportsGuy...

"There's an entire generation out there who may not have known that the original "Longest Yard" was one of the best five sports movies of all-time. So here's my advice to those people. Instead of spending $10 on a ticket for the new movie, drive down to your local electronic store and spend $9.99 on the DVD. Not only will you save a penny, you'll end up seeing a movie that's three times as good. So do it for Paul Crewe. Do it for Granny. Do it for Nate. (Sad pause.) Do it for Caretaker.

"Just do it."