One of the most disturbing things I've ever read

Perhaps she doesn't want to.  Perhaps her religious beliefs are different than yours.  How many unwanted children have you personally adopted?  Or are you pretending that there aren't thousands of children out there living off the government dime already, as so many others do?

Uh, sometimes babies happen - even with birth control.  But we can all pretend we've never gotten lucky in this regard.

She did.  Simply used a different method than you would have.  Welcome to freedom.  Sometimes that involves things that are abhorrent.  You don't have the right not to be offended.  Anti-abortion folks would have alot more credibility on this issue if they did more to make the lives of living children better - a subject our society is failing miserably at everyday.

345908[/snapback]

Can't I have my own opinions without people jumping on my back? Sheesh, I thought this was a place to do that. Guess I was i wrong.

Can't I have my own opinions without people jumping on my back?  Sheesh, I thought this was a place to do that.  Guess I was i wrong.

345947[/snapback]

Sure you can, they can simply be disagreed with. If you think that was "jumping on your back" you need much thicker skin.

What's more mindboggling is this little follow-up, which obviously ran after the print edition of the NYT Magazine had gone out:

:lol:  :wacko:

Another critical nugget of information that is missing from the article is whether the woman comes from a family with a history of twins/triplets.  My hunch is that given her age, she was likely on chlomyd(sp?) which causes much higher instances of multiple eggs being fertilized - meaning she likely knew ahead of time that there was a good chance she'd have twins+ if she conceived.

345937[/snapback]

I don't think she was on clomid. She told her doctor she wasn't on fertility drugs, and her (their) goal wasn't to get pregnant, but just not to be on the pill anymore. If they got pregnant, so be it.

I don't think she was on clomid.  She told her doctor she wasn't on fertility drugs, and her (their) goal wasn't to get pregnant, but just not to be on the pill anymore.  If they got pregnant, so be it.

345952[/snapback]

The odds of three eggs being dropped at her age have to be pretty high. There has to be more to this story. After going through the fertility thing for eight years with my wife, this just doesnt add up. IMO.

The odds of three eggs being dropped at her age have to be pretty high. There has to be more to this story. After going through the fertility thing for eight years with my wife, this just doesnt add up. IMO.

345956[/snapback]

It does seem odd that she would have a triple pregnancy right out of the gate without help, but I was just going by what was stated in the story.

It does seem odd that she would have a triple pregnancy right out of the gate without help, but I was just going by what was stated in the story.

345962[/snapback]

I know you were. After menstrauating for maybe, almost twenty years, those would be pretty high odds. Though I'm just going by what I've been involved with, and what I learned.

Some of it I realy didnt want to know either. :lol:

The thing about triplets (and the fertility comments) make me re-think this article. Disclaimer: I only know what I have read here. I have not looked anywhere else for information on this topic.

Based on this I think this whole thing is phony. It is replete with cliches. I can't leave Manhattan for Staten Island. I won't make enough money this spring. Men don't understand what women go through. I'll have to shop at Costco.

It could be something stirred up by anti-abortionists to further advance stereotypes of women who want abortions. It could be done by an abortion advocate to assert complete and utter rights over the decision no matter how callous it seems. In either case there are way too many pieces in place. It is all tidy. There is no complexity to it. All real stories have some level of complexity.

If I assume it is real, I can't really comment other than to say that the writer is (IMO) pathetic and does not herself understand what life really is at all.

Based on this I think this whole thing is phony.  It is replete with cliches.  I can't leave Manhattan for Staten Island.  I won't make enough money this spring.  Men don't understand what women go through.  I'll have to shop at Costco. 

345992[/snapback]

I agree. It is almost a caricature of callousness. If the author, as stated in the disclaimer below the original piece, IS a vocal advocate for the women's right to choose, she would not want to be handing the anti-choice crowd something that they could point to.

If all women who whose first reaction to pregnancy was a sinking feeling had an abortion, we'd really be in trouble. It's not uncommon but generally one becomes reconciled. THIS lady is a first class idiot and doesn't deserve to have kids. She's probably be a terrible mother and they'd suffer their entire childhood, then have kids of their own to put through hell and perpetuate the cycle.

That she writes about it so cavalierly is disturbing. It's chilling in the same way a serial killer talks about his kills. Sociopaths come in all shapes and sizes.

If all women who whose first reaction to pregnancy was a sinking feeling had an abortion, we'd really be in trouble.  It's not uncommon but generally one becomes reconciled.  THIS lady is a first class idiot and doesn't deserve to have kids.  She's probably be a terrible mother and they'd suffer their entire childhood, then have kids of their own to put through hell and perpetuate the cycle.

That she writes about it so cavalierly is disturbing.  It's chilling in the same way a serial killer talks about his kills.  Sociopaths come in all shapes and sizes.

346005[/snapback]

Here's an idea, rather than aborting the children, how about we have her give birth to them and then kill HER?

Sounds like a plan to me! She's obviously a nutcase and likely a whore to boot. Someone like her doesn't deserve life.

Based on this I think this whole thing is phony.  It is replete with cliches.  I can't leave Manhattan for Staten Island.  I won't make enough money this spring.  Men don't understand what women go through.  I'll have to shop at Costco. 

Believe it or not, there are A LOT of people in New York that honesty feel that way. For many Manhattanites, living in an outer boro is akin to living in Iowa.

She should go ahead and have her abortions. It sounds like one is more than enough for this selfish B word and she will only raise another generation of self absorbed a-holes anyway.

That she writes about it so cavalierly is disturbing. It's chilling in the same way a serial killer talks about his kills. Sociopaths come in all shapes and sizes.

Sad....so terribly sad.

Believe it or not, there are A LOT of people in New York that honesty feel that way.  For many Manhattanites, living in an outer boro is akin to living in Iowa.

She should go ahead and have her abortions.  It sounds like one is more than enough for this selfish B word and she will only raise another generation of self absorbed a-holes anyway.

346280[/snapback]

And then tie her tubes so there is no chance of her ever reproducing.

But what about her choice?!?!

We can't limit the reaction of pregnant women to homicidal urges, now can we?

346474[/snapback]

Nope. Freedom sucks, don't it? Unless my campaign for "Supreme Ultimate Ruler" is ultimately successful... :huh:

Weren't you just waxing in another thread about going to a school and dealing with a guy who wants to give his 6-year old a toke?

Nope.  Freedom sucks, don't it?  Unless my campaign for "Supreme Ultimate Ruler" is ultimately successful...  :huh:

Weren't you just waxing in another thread about going to a school and dealing with a guy who wants to give his 6-year old a toke?

346477[/snapback]

Yes. And that "father" should have been "aborted" as soon as that child was born.

I kinda like my solution. Simple, yet elegant.

But what about her choice?!?!

We can't limit the reaction of pregnant women to homicidal urges, now can we?

346474[/snapback]

Just like they can't cut the tubes of the crack mommies that come in every seven months to give birth to a baby who will die horribly. They just keep comming, and comming, and comming...