The Walls be Closing

Kemp

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was going to tell him that Grand Island isn't in the Caribbean, just in case. 

I'm sitting in a beautiful house in Sintra.  tomorrow Algarve.  playing 36 the 1st day.  tee times sorted.  before that was in Surbiton near London.  skated at Hampton court palace among other "elite:" activities....London is out of the question.  almost no where decent to live for less than 1 mil

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Never been to Portugal, and truthfully, never heard of Sintra or Algarve until you mentioned the region.  You would consider moving there permanently, ex-pat it up?  

I can build a house for about 500k with land near a beach.  Hell, yes.  And my family knows trusted respected builders and realtors....unfortunately, people like me make housing unaffordable to many Portuguese.  huge wealth divide.  doctors make 70k a year here.  Nurses get peanuts.  There is a huge shortage of both....unless u have money.

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I'm sitting in a beautiful house in Sintra.  tomorrow Algarve.  playing 36 the 1st day.  tee times sorted.  before that was in Surbiton near London.  skated at Hampton court palace among other "elite:" activities....London is out of the question.  almost no where decent to live for less than 1 mil

Good for you have fun.   

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

thanks.  why do u imagine they won't answer why they think elite is bad?

So far, an amazing trip.  Have been to Portugal many times but this is the best.  Can't wait to go to Vale de Lobo resort tomorrow.

I've read a lot saying Portugal is the new place to go in Europe much like Prague had been for a while.   Hit up some Michelin star restaurants while you're there and please report back!

38 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

thanks.  why do u imagine they won't answer why they think elite is bad?

So far, an amazing trip.  Have been to Portugal many times but this is the best.  Can't wait to go to Vale de Lobo resort tomorrow.

Would love some recommendations,  doing Portugal and Spain in June

Just now, Tenhigh said:

Would love some recommendations,  doing Portugal and Spain in June

see above.   looking to move too?  the palace in Sintra is an amazing hotel/restaurant.  There a similar palace hotel in Lisbon.

Just now, L Ron Burgundy said:

I've read a lot saying Portugal is the new place to go in Europe much like Prague had been for a while.   Hit up some Michelin star restaurants while you're there and please report back!

we have been mostly eating family meals at home.  I got outvoted to go to Hive in Piccadilly because there were kids with us that don't enjoy fine dining.  Got recs for moderately priced places in Algarve.  Rather spend the money on golf.

Someday want to do the Azores.  15% cheaper than Lisboa but isolated.  looks like Hawaii in pics.  Diff time zone.  btw, all expats pay 10% extra tax.

49 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I can build a house for about 500k with land near a beach.  Hell, yes.  And my family knows trusted respected builders and realtors....unfortunately, people like me make housing unaffordable to many Portuguese.  huge wealth divide.  doctors make 70k a year here.  Nurses get peanuts.  There is a huge shortage of both....unless u have money.

Very cool, congrats!  In some respects, sounds like business as usual in places that cater to wealthy Americans (or Europeans) looking to keep money in the family yet avail themselves of opportunities maybe not attainable here due to property values, tax etc. 

Is there a way you can offset the privilege aspect of this whole Transaction?   Contribute to the betterment of the society in general?  There has to be a way that you can impact the wealth gap on an individual basis?  Maybe start a foundation? 

• Like (+1) 2

Very cool, congrats!  In some respects, sounds like business as usual in places that cater to wealthy Americans (or Europeans) looking to keep money in the family yet avail themselves of opportunities maybe not attainable here due to property values, tax etc. 

Is there a way you can offset the privilege aspect of this whole Transaction?   Contribute to the betterment of the society in general?  There has to be a way that you can impact the wealth gap on an individual basis?  Maybe start a foundation? 

nurses make $800/mo.  too much need.  not enough powerful impetus to change.  have had long discussions with native portuguese family.  their wealth comes from others poverty due to very low cost of living.  but I'll definitely stay a Rotarian and contribute generously.

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

nurses make $800/mo.  too much need.  not enough powerful impetus to change.  have had long discussions with native portuguese family.  their wealth comes from others poverty due to very low cost of living.  but I'll definitely stay a Rotarian and contribute generously.

I don’t understand the lack of impetus to change, Fergie.  That’s all on the individual, and it sounds unfair-sharey to the core.  You could do both, the Rotarian gig and foundation to help the locals.   

Still, it’s your money. Maybe some day some other wealthy benefactor can convince his/her native family to share the wealth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t understand the lack of impetus to change, Fergie.  That’s all on the individual, and it sounds unfair-sharey to the core.  You could do both, the Rotarian gig and foundation to help the locals.   

Still, it’s your money. Maybe some day some other wealthy benefactor can convince his/her native family to share the wealth.

power comes through volume/numbers not upper middle class individuals.

19 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

see above.   looking to move too?  the palace in Sintra is an amazing hotel/restaurant.  There a similar palace hotel in Lisbon.

we have been mostly eating family meals at home.  I got outvoted to go to Hive in Piccadilly because there were kids with us that don't enjoy fine dining.  Got recs for moderately priced places in Algarve.  Rather spend the money on golf.

Someday want to do the Azores.  15% cheaper than Lisboa but isolated.  looks like Hawaii in pics.  Diff time zone.  btw, all expats pay 10% extra tax.

A good friend went to Azores last year.  Accomodations weren't great but they said it was beautiful.

As for moving, I don't see myself being so afraid of a president that I would flee the country. I think DJT is a piece of narcissistic garbage and is bad for people  on the right. He tends to appeal to their baser natures.  But I think that Trump has a worse effect on people on the left. TDS is real and some folks just can help but act like lunatics about anything involving him.  See Billsy for a perfect example, he sees a Trump in every dark closet and under his bed. 

• Like (+1) 2

It does sound very tough to be the wealthy guy.  Most people probably cant even appreciate the struggle.   

Anyway, seriously, good luck. 

as beautiful and inexpensive as Portugal is.  MY PREFERENCE IS TO STAY IN Va.  The wealthy here invariably despise trump just like in the UK.  They r very worried about his effect on them.

• Eyeroll 1