OT...Soccer post

No,,, there was not a riot or anything like that.. What happened was one of the most incredible matches ever held....

This match was for the European Champions League title...Very prestigious...

Liverpool (England) vs..A C Milan (Italy)..Both teams are noted for their strong defense...

AC scored 3 goals in the first half and ALL their fans began a huge celebration.. The broadcasters said "It's ALL over." Well no one told Liverpool and a great comeback commenced at the 53rd minute of the match...Another goal at the 56th minute and Liverpool is ALIVE...Then a penalty kick for Liverpool tied the match at 3--3 at he 59th minute and the celebration of the Liverpool fans was incredible...

3 goals in 6 minutes is pretty remarkable..

Another 30 minutes of OT was played, but no goals were scored..The white clad AC team had one excellent chance but the goalie for Liverpool made a brilliant save..

A penalty kick shootout occured and Liverpool won 3--2..

So this reminded me of the Buffalo Bills vs Houston Oilers and the Bills great comeback Jan.3, 1993...Never , never, never give up !!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. Didnt realize that Liverpool's goals were so close together. I guess the NFL equivalent would be TD, Onside kick leading to a quick TD, and an INT TD. Nice...

I also heard Liverpool cannot defend its title, can we clear that up?

I watched that game last night at my moms.

Did you see the antics of the Liverpool Goalie. Very bizarre. But 2 of those penalty kicks should have been retakes, the goalie was clearly not staying on his line prior to the kick being taken.

No,,, there was not a riot or anything like that.. What happened was one of the  most incredible matches ever held....

This match was for the European Champions League title...Very prestigious...

Liverpool (England)  vs..A C Milan (Italy)..Both teams are noted for their strong defense...

AC scored 3 goals in the first half and ALL  their fans began a huge celebration.. The broadcasters said "It's ALL over."  Well no one told Liverpool and a great comeback commenced at the 53rd minute of the match...Another goal at the 56th minute and Liverpool is ALIVE...Then a penalty kick for Liverpool tied the match at 3--3 at he 59th minute and the celebration of the Liverpool fans was incredible...

3 goals in 6 minutes is pretty remarkable..

Another 30 minutes of OT was played, but no goals were scored..The white clad AC team had one excellent chance but the goalie for Liverpool made a brilliant save..

A penalty kick shootout occured and Liverpool won 3--2..

So this reminded me of the Buffalo Bills vs Houston Oilers and the Bills great comeback Jan.3, 1993...Never , never, never  give up !!!

345274[/snapback]

So did that double the season total of goals scored? :blink:

hehe j/k, i dont mind soccer, but i usually only watch the world cup...

Saw that on SportsCenter this morning. Pretty cool.

If all soccer games were like that, I might watch... Whenever I watch, the ball just stays in the middle of the field and nobody gets 3 shots, let alone 3 goals, in the game.

CW

Did you see the antics of the Liverpool Goalie. Very bizarre. But 2 of those penalty kicks should have been retakes, the goalie was clearly not staying on his line prior to the kick being taken.

345324[/snapback]

The keepers are allowed to move,but not forward...You are correct,,Two of the kicks showed him going forward...The AR on the line shudda made the call..

Again this was an exciting match and is going to be re-broadcast on ESPN Classic tonight

Saw that on SportsCenter this morning.  Pretty cool.

If all soccer games were like that, I might watch...  Whenever I watch, the ball just stays in the middle of the field and nobody gets 3 shots, let alone 3 goals, in the game.

CW

345349[/snapback]

And this is different from Hockey how? Goals are about the same, but there are less shots in soccer.

And this is different from Hockey how? Goals are about the same, but there are less shots in soccer.

345383[/snapback]

Exactly - less shots = less changes to score = less excitement. It'd be like if 98% of hockey was played between the blue lines. *yawn*

Besides, I'd say that hockey is much higher scoring from my limited soccer exposure. 3-3 is very rare, whereas in hockey it's not.

CW

345383[/snapback]

Hockey is back and forth action...yah the trap has closed down the game a bit more, but players hitting and passing on a small surface and taking 25 shots a game to score is much more fun that watching a bunch of guys kick a ball on a field the size of kansas and manage 5 shots combined...as fezmid said, 3-3 is not common at all in soccer, while it is in hockey...

345324[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. No way those two saves should have counted. His save at the end of the second overtime period was incredible. Excellent match.

345284[/snapback]

Liverpool finished 5th in the Premeirship this season so they don't qualify for Champions League next year (top 4 qualify). But there is talk that UEFA will let them in which I think is a good move. If a team can win Champions League (with all the best teams in Europe, let alone the best teams from England (Chelsea etc) then they should be given an automatic bye into the League the next season.

345284[/snapback]

Liverpool finished 5th in the Premeirship this season so they don't qualify for Champions League next year (top 4 qualify). But there is talk that UEFA will let them in which I think is a good move. If a team can win Champions League (with all the best teams in Europe, let alone the best teams from England (Chelsea etc) then they should be given an automatic bye into the League the next season.

345417[/snapback]

Ah, so the teams in the champions league play their standard regular season then?

From what I can understand, every european league plays their season, and then the top teams from those leagues get together to find Europe's grand champion. Kinda cool really, wish that we had something like that, or even let the top two MLS teams in.

Fewer north american soccer fans the better if you ask me. Don't need to ruin a good thing.

It was nice for Gerrard. But I thought Milan was the better team prior to the game and on the field.

Some very poor spot kicks by Milan and I can't believe no one complained about the goalie after the first kick was taken. He was clearly affecting the kickers.

But nice Liverpool showed heart to come back and they were rewarded.

What is this activity called "soccer" of which you speak?  :blink:

345419[/snapback]

Put an object in net guarded by a man, on a playing surface roughly rectangular. And do all this without using your hands. Well Europe has soccer, and we have.. Hockey? kinda? At least they have their house in order.

Put an object in net guarded by a man, on a playing surface roughly rectangular. And do all this without using your hands. Well Europe has soccer, and we have.. Hockey? kinda? At least they have their house in order.

345507[/snapback]

They do?

345507[/snapback]

In a net the size of Kansas, on a playing surface the size of Texas. Once, maybe twice a game. :blink: