Is McDermott or Frazier the Architect of the Defensive Scheme?

Chaos

The scheme isn’t the problem. Players and execution is.

There is also a case to be made for being too ‘soft’ in coverage, on a far too regular basis, but even that has sometimes been on the players.

I think it’s also fair to say that at different times, we missed too many of the guys who make the scheme really work - from Hyde, to Miller, and yesterday Jones. 

It’s probably between Jones and Milano, as to the defensive MVP on the team.

Corner play has been very up and down, with good play one minute, and then rubbish the next.

White helped with communication, but has yet to regain form.

Johnson has been the one truly consistent performer of that unit.

Safety issues were also obvious, with Hyde out, and Poyer banged up a lot.

The difficulty with the guys who we missed, was that they are the ones who the lesser lights could feed off, or be freed up by.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Then what explains the 3 playoff losses then?  It's the same story in ALL of them. Timid defensive scheme that allows the other team to do whatever the hell they want all game long. 38,42 and 27(could have been 50) points.  There is no way that is simply on players when they were one of the top D's in the NFL in terms of points allowed all 3 years. That is being afraid and giving up way too much soft stuff underneath while trying to prevent deep balls over the top.

Look who we lost to.  People need to keep that in mind. Mahomes and Burrow are the two best Qbs in the NFL. 

Getting to SB is no easy task and both the Chiefs and Bengals are more complete than the Bills in terms of personnel. 

4 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Look who we lost to.  People need to keep that in mind. Mahomes and Burrow are the two best Qbs in the NFL. 

Getting to SB is no easy task and both the Chiefs and Bengals are more complete than the Bills in terms of personnel. 

And look how we played them in the regular season. We won both times against KC the last 2 years and gave up 20 points in both games

Edited by Big Turk

7 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Whether it's McD or Frazier is dumb either way.

I can't say I've ever seen a defensive scheme that brings a big blitz on 3rd and 4, but also has all the DBs playing at least 10 yards of the ball.

Mind-numbingly frustrating to watch.

So my question then...is McD trying to throw Beane under the bus there or does McD have some culpability in these draft picks that aren't panning out?  I wonder how much McD is involved in who we end up picking.  Seeing with how defense-heavy we have gone, I would have to say he's been deeply involved.

My guess is the bad draft picks are on both of them.  This doesn't seem like an organization where the left hand does not what the right is doing.  They are making these picks together. 

I think the problem is we go after too many guys who we think can be developed long term, who are picked for value. 

All I know is this secondary is average at best this season. Outside Poyer who is aging and injured, there is no star power out there.  Tre may never be the same again, time will tell.  Elam hasn't done much at all and was a 1st rounder.  Jackson has been hurt and abused this season, often times an inch away from big play after big play but could never make the play. 

Hard to put your finger on one thing, but I have to assume the defensive play calls were to protect a defense they knew was suspect and couldn't hold up vs man. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

The problem on defense is personnel, imo. They have missed on draft picks and it shows. 

Outside of Von Miller, who has stepped up at the first level? Outside of Milano, who has stepped up at the second level? There is no one to even speak of in the secondary this year, they were all hurt and mostly non existent. 

The scheme isn't the problem, execution and players making plays is.  Listen to McDermott press conference, he admits it.  They knew what Cincinnati was doing and they couldn't stop it. Why? Because Cincinnati was too talented for them. 

He admits nothing. He was outcoached and out prepared. This is passive aggressive nonsense from him "I did my job, but the players didn't do theirs". Its BS. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He admits nothing. He was outcoached and out prepared. This is passive aggressive nonsense from him "I did my job, but the players didn't do theirs". Its BS. 

Well the stats are out there on this board, Buffalo called the right defense nearly 50% of the time, which is above average. 

Mcd clearly said they knew what the Bengals were doing or trying to do, we just couldn't stop it.  They have more talent, it's that simple.  Right away people want to blame it all on coaching.  Outside of Milano and possibly Poyer, where is the star power on the defense?  Where are the impact players?  I'll wait. 

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Well the stats are out there on this board, Buffalo called the right defense nearly 50% of the time, which is above average. 

Mcd clearly said they knew what the Bengals were doing or trying to do, we just couldn't stop it.  They have more talent, it's that simple.  Right away people want to blame it all on coaching.  Outside of Milano and possibly Poyer, where is the star power on the defense?  Where are the impact players?  I'll wait. 

Seriously, the Bengals had more running yards than in 16 of 17 prior games.  With three starting online members out.  If they had "more talent", then you should be screaming for Beanes head. 

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

The problem on defense is personnel, imo. They have missed on draft picks and it shows. 

Outside of Von Miller, who has stepped up at the first level? Outside of Milano, who has stepped up at the second level? There is no one to even speak of in the secondary this year, they were all hurt and mostly non existent. 

The scheme isn't the problem, execution and players making plays is.  Listen to McDermott press conference, he admits it.  They knew what Cincinnati was doing and they couldn't stop it. Why? Because Cincinnati was too talented for them. 

If you are on the fence about Beane or McDermott, look no further than their last few years drafts.  Absolutely pathetic.  4 1st and 3 2nds on Dl!!  Where the hell are they?  Not 1 has played to where they were drafted.  They also draft 3 to 1 Defense over offense.  They have massively failed in the draft and its finally to start really hurting the team and obvious now

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.