Newsweek F*cks America....AGAIN....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is because Bigfoot exists. It was reported in all the papers. The National Enquirer had a big story on it. I think the Weekly World News also had a multi-part piece on it. Seriously, Tom. You really need to start reading more.

342605[/snapback]

Kinda' like WMDs then?

As far as giving them religious materials, of course we do.  We're nice captors.

342977[/snapback]

Article 5, provision 1(d) of the Geneva Convention requires they be allowed to freely practice their religion.

To practice my religion I need a Bible, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to let them have their Quaran.

Article 5, provision 1(d) of the Geneva Convention requires they be allowed to freely practice their religion. 

To practice my religion I need a Bible, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to let them have their Quaran.

342988[/snapback]

To practice my religion, all I need is my faith.

342988[/snapback]

Well, 'cept the captives in Gitmo don't actually fall under the Geneva Convention.

Well, 'cept the captives in Gitmo don't actually fall under the Geneva Convention.

342994[/snapback]

According to whom, the majority of the planet or the White House Counsel's opine?

I perceive them to be "people whose liberty has been detained" and that "all the persons who have been deprived of their liberty or whose liberty has been restricted for reasons related to such conflict, as well as those deprived of their liberty or whose liberty is restricted after the conflict for the same reasons, shall enjoy the protection of Articles 5 and 6 until the end of such deprivation or restriction of liberty.."

As the signatory of the Geneva Convention, the United States has agreed that "in cases not covered by the law in force, the human person remains under the protection of the principles of humanity."

Regardless, it's a pretty sad time when the US of frickin' A chooses to not meet minimal humanitarian standards.

According to whom, the majority of the planet or the White House Counsel's opine?

I perceive them to be "people whose liberty has been detained" and that "all the persons who have been deprived of their liberty or whose liberty has been restricted for reasons related to such conflict, as well as those deprived of their liberty or whose liberty is restricted after the conflict for the same reasons, shall enjoy the protection of Articles 5 and 6 until the end of such deprivation or restriction of liberty.."

As the signatory of the Geneva Convention, the United States has agreed that "in cases not covered by the law in force, the human person remains under the protection of the principles of humanity."

Regardless, it's a pretty sad time when the US of frickin' A chooses to not meet minimal humanitarian standards.

343003[/snapback]

Too bad.

343003[/snapback]

According to the convention. Non-signatories of the convention - such as trans-national terrorist groups not openly armed - aren't protected by it. The convention's definition of who's coverd is very broad but very specific, and terrorist groups aren't in there. As far as the convention's concerned, such people can be subject to torture and execution.

And if you read the Convention...the prisoners at Gitmo are provided a surprising amount of right within the Covention, and not denied all that many. What they're denied is principally the freedom to communicate with the outside, for what I think are obvious reasons.

I like how the left is more concerned with whether Habib who prior to his capture was slitting westerners throats or plotting dirty bomb attacks on our cities, gets his Koran than the poor hapless victims of radical Islam be it Westerner or Muslim.

Mosque blown up by terrorists - who cares

Mosque blown up by troops - BAD AMERICA, BAD!

Innocent civilians intentionally killed by terrorists - who cares

Innocent civilians inadvertantly killed by troops - BAD AMERICA, BAD!

AMERICA BAD!

BUSH BAD!

GENEVA CONVENTION!

KYOTO PROTOCOLS!

HALLIBURTON!

FLIGHT SUIT!

NOSE PICK!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

TOM DELAY BAD!

UNDERWEAR PICTURE!

ABU GHRAIB!

BAD BAD BAD!

I believe the government should treat any prisoner with a respect for human rights, because to do otherwise sets a bad precedent. Torture, desecration of religious artifacts, rape by other inmates, etc. are unacceptable.

Having said this, Newsweek was far too quick to cry wolf. The evidence for liberal bias in the mainstream press is irrefutable. It's been well documented by Bernard Goldberg in his book Bias.

As for why the Bush administration hasn't denied the stories; it's possible they are a little scared about what happened in Abu Grahib. If there's even a 1% chance that some overzealous interregator somewhere took liberties with the Koran, the Bush administration doesn't want to fall on its face later by denying such things happened. There's a difference between exercising reasonable caution in the face of the complexities of running a large organization--which is what the Bush administration appears to be doing--and blackening America's name throughout the Middle East based on an unsubstantiated report from an anonymous source.

According to the convention.  Non-signatories of the convention - such as trans-national terrorist groups not openly armed - aren't protected by it.  The convention's definition of who's coverd is very broad but very specific, and terrorist groups aren't in there.  As far as the convention's concerned, such people can be subject to torture and execution.

And if you read the Convention...the prisoners at Gitmo are provided a surprising amount of right within the Covention, and not denied all that many.  What they're denied is principally the freedom to communicate with the outside, for what I think are obvious reasons.

343048[/snapback]

*stands and applauds*

You know what, Tom, sometimes your egg-headedness is a good thing.

:w00t:

According to the convention.  Non-signatories of the convention - such as trans-national terrorist groups not openly armed - aren't protected by it.  The convention's definition of who's coverd is very broad but very specific, and terrorist groups aren't in there.  As far as the convention's concerned, such people can be subject to torture and execution.

And if you read the Convention...the prisoners at Gitmo are provided a surprising amount of right within the Covention, and not denied all that many.  What they're denied is principally the freedom to communicate with the outside, for what I think are obvious reasons.

343048[/snapback]

The "Hate America First" parade will be moved to another thread due to rain. :w00t:

I believe the government should treat any prisoner with a respect for human rights, because to do otherwise sets a bad precedent. Torture, desecration of religious artifacts, rape by other inmates, etc. are unacceptable.

343102[/snapback]

Now that's something that you and I agree on.

The convention's definition of who's coverd is very broad but very specific, and terrorist groups aren't in there.  As far as the convention's concerned, such people can be subject to torture and execution.

343048[/snapback]

I've read it, but I don't believe that all of the people who are detained there were members of an unorganized force that the Convention claims are exempt from the protections provided within it.

In any event, as a taxpayer, I don't take issue with the gov't buying Quarans for Muslim detainees, and that's where I (think I) differ from some others here who seem to make it out to be a much more charitable act that it really is.