Harbaugh possibly returning to the NFL? (Twitter speculation)

Greg S

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Harbaugh should stay at Michigan and try to finish what he started. Payton should leave his Saints legacy intact, and remain in retirement. I understand the itch to coach in the NFL again. I get these guys being motivated to return, but as a neutral observer, I’m not convinced they’ll be successful returning at this point in their career. 

why do you say that.   Harbaugh has been very successful at Michigan and he can definitely coach at the Pro as well as college.  He is still an active coach.   This is not like a Matt Rhule type hire.

Peyton is away from the NFL only for a season.  While he was the coach, he was doing fine.  This is not like bring Chan Gailey back.

5 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I didn’t know that about Payton. But geez, no way a team gives up a top five pick (Indy, Denver, Houston) for a HC, but I think Payton is head and shoulders above Harbaugh if we were to compare them as potential NFL head coaches. 

I don't really think Peyton is all that great a coach.  He had one of the top 5 QB's in the league in Brees, won one SB, but that's it.  He had 3 seasons with a 7-9 record in the middle of his career.  Also lost a number of playoff games where he had decidedly the better team.  Ask Diggs about that.

One other thing I found of interest.  I've read here a number of times quotes from people that they'd replace McD with Payton in heartbeat.  Paytons career winning percentage is .631%, McD is .635%.   I will note if the Bills lose tonight Paytons record is then better. LOL  So is very close, but my point is Payton is a good coach but not as great as many make him out to.  Probably could argue that Harbaugh did more in SF with less talent

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.