Five Biggest Takeaways from the Bills' Win Over the Chiefs (article)

Logic

Great article over at The Ringer about the Bills Chiefs game. I'll post only a short snippet, but as is often the case, there's lots more, including info graphics and other things that wouldn't copy and paste well. Check it out!

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/10/17/23408976/five-takeaways-buffalo-bills-kansas-city-chiefs-nfl-juggernauts

Before we get to the actual analysis, let me get something out of my system: OH MY GOD … JOSH ALLEN! This dude is not real. I refuse to believe it. Did you see him jump over that guy on the game-winning drive late in the fourth quarter? He jumped over an entire human being. And then just started running again like it was the normal thing to do! Look at this nonsense:

Allen also threw some passes on Sunday—40 of them, actually, completing 27 for 329 yards and three touchdowns. It was the third straight time he’s thrown for more than 300 yards and three-plus scores against the Chiefs in Kansas City, and Buffalo has won two of those games. When Allen has shared the field with Mahomes over the past two years, it’s been really difficult to see much of a difference between the two. If Patrick Mahomes has raised the bar on QB play over the past four-plus seasons, then Allen has cleared it like he did that poor Chiefs defender.

I’m highlighting that spectacular feat of athleticism, but that’s not how Allen closed the gap on Mahomes. He’s done that by getting really freaking good at the boring—some might say nerdy—aspects of the position. This isn’t performative quarterbacking to appease his coaches, either. Allen will always try to hunt down the biggest play possible. But with defenses getting better at taking away the deep parts of the field, Allen stays mindful of his underneath options. The 26-year-old—HE’S NOT EVEN IN HIS PRIME YET; WHAT THE HELL!—used to view those shorter throws with the level of contempt a child might have looking at a plate of vegetables. They were a last resort. Something he had to do because his coaches said so.

That’s not the case any more. Allen is throwing those shorter passes more often, and he’s throwing them quicker.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

How about this nugget too?!

"This [Bills] offense can do anything at any time, and it does it all at a high level. This isn’t just the best offense in the NFL today. It’s one of the most comprehensive attacks this league has ever seen"

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

When it comes to playing elite qb's you have to get pressure with 4, and our offensive line didn't allow the Chiefs to do much at all with their pass rush.   My biggest takeaway is that Saffold Bates Morse Dawk and Brown/Quess did one heckuva job on Jones and Clark yesterday and it was the difference in the game because they had to respect the run game and were forced to blitz Josh, which resulted in Gabe and Diggs TD's.

Oline deserves a game ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

"This [Bills] offense can do anything at any time, and it does it all at a high level. This isn’t just the best offense in the NFL today. It’s one of the most comprehensive attacks this league has ever seen"

He is right.  The Bills sometimes get beat by a great defensive playcall or great defensive play.  But far more often what stops the Bills on offense is themselves by not executing properly.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He is right.  The Bills sometimes get beat by a great defensive playcall or great defensive play.  But far more often what stops the Bills on offense is themselves by not executing properly.

Romo said that on the broadcast.  The only one that can stop them is themselves. 

Makes me happy and nervous at the same time.  I’m not complaining but that game yesterday should not have been that close. 

1 hour ago, TheWei44 said:

Great offense, but we have scored 19, 23, and 24 points in 3 of our last 4 games.  Nothing to get too excited about.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Great offense, but we have scored 19, 23, and 24 points in 3 of our last 4 games.  Nothing to get too excited about.  

Part of that is because we pass up easy points to go for TDs and don't always get them.

We are still 2nd in the NFL in scoring and first by almost 30 yards in yards per game at over 440, which would be the 7th highest in NFL history.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.