OT: Sick of your jobs?

I realized today that I really dislike what I'm doing at work. While waiting for my job switch to complete, I've become somewhat apathetic. I think it reached a new low today.

I was on a conference call talking about some software release when I decided I was hungry. I put the phone in the desk drawer and got up and left. I never hung it up - if I would have the "beep beep" of the conference service would have signaled my departure.

Any one else do this crap? Or is it just my small group at work? One guy actually brought in an old laptop bag that he leaves open on the desk... so when he leaves at 2:30 everyone thinks he's just away in a meeting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one else do this crap? Or is it just my small group at work?  One guy actually brought in an old laptop bag that he leaves open on the desk... so when he leaves at 2:30 everyone thinks he's just away in a meeting.

333801[/snapback]

Naah, it's just you.

Unless you count all the people that surf the web and post on message boards during the day. It's amazing how the traffic here screeches to a halt at 5:00. :P

:P  :P  That's hilarious...

333805[/snapback]

Hell, I've got more of 'em. There's the laptop guy. One guy finally quit, but he made it a habit of going to see a midday movie every now and then.

Always leave your computer logged in, you're probably just away to the bathroom... The movie guy used to always walk in behind someone else so he didn't scan his access card.

I've never been one to do that kind of stuff. Funny? Yeah. I've always just felt guilty. Now that I've got another job lined up, I've kind of "lost my care."

-Jeff

One guy finally quit, but he made it a habit of going to see a midday movie every now and then.

Nothing wrong with doing that every now and then. I went out and saw Titan AE over "lunch." Same thing with Priates of the Carrebean and Lord of the Rings: Two Towers.

Then again, I guess i had worked about 70 hours the week of Titan AE (and recovered from a nasty database crash if I recall). And as for Pirates, my manager actually gave the whole sysadmin group tickets to go see the movie (from a vendor)... Same thing for Lord of the Rings: Two Towers... So I guess those don't count when you get manager blessings :P

CW

Nothing wrong with doing that every now and then.  I went out and saw Titan AE over "lunch."  Same thing with Priates of the Carrebean and Lord of the Rings: Two Towers.

Then again, I guess i had worked about 70 hours the week of Titan AE (and recovered from a nasty database crash if I recall).  And as for Pirates, my manager actually gave the whole sysadmin group tickets to go see the movie (from a vendor)...  Same thing for Lord of the Rings: Two Towers...  So I guess those don't count when you get manager blessings :P

CW

333833[/snapback]

Ah, the company of dorks... :P

Nothing wrong with doing that every now and then.  I went out and saw Titan AE over "lunch."  Same thing with Priates of the Carrebean and Lord of the Rings: Two Towers.

Then again, I guess i had worked about 70 hours the week of Titan AE (and recovered from a nasty database crash if I recall).  And as for Pirates, my manager actually gave the whole sysadmin group tickets to go see the movie (from a vendor)...  Same thing for Lord of the Rings: Two Towers...  So I guess those don't count when you get manager blessings :P

CW

333833[/snapback]

Did you like Pirates of The Carribean? I thought it was very well cast and directed.

Just gave my 2 week notice 2 hours ago. We've got a small group of people that I like, so I'm going to work as hard as I can over the next two weeks to ensure that they can't complain after I'm gone. You never know when the bridges that you burned will come back to haunt you. I'd hate to lose 7 years of credibility in two weeks. And I'm in laid back California!

Just curious...and I'll apologize in advance if this comes out wrong, but if you don't like your job, why don't you do something to change that instead of wasting everyone else's time and money pretending that you care? You mentioned a job switch? Will that offer you a better prospect?

Just curious...and I'll apologize in advance if this comes out wrong, but if you don't like your job, why don't you do something to change that instead of wasting everyone else's time and money pretending that you care? You mentioned a job switch? Will that offer you a better prospect?

333892[/snapback]

I am, actually. As I said above I'm going to be switching very shortly. It not what I do that I dislike, it's the place. Up until now, I've not really done any of that stuff. Dislike it as I may, it's my responsibility to be there and get it done, and I do that. Everyone bolts a bit early on a Friday. Don't really know what got into me this afternoon, though!

A switch is exactly what I need. I've been doing the same thing, in almost the same position save for a "Sr." here and there for more than seven years now. In the IT world, that's an eternity. It's really a change of scenery that I'm needing, and I hope to get that shortly.

I am, actually. As I said above I'm going to be switching very shortly.  It not what I do that I dislike, it's the place.  Up until now, I've not really done any of that stuff.  Dislike it as I may, it's my responsibility to be there and get it done, and I do that.  Everyone bolts a bit early on a Friday.  Don't really know what got into me this afternoon, though!

A switch is exactly what I need.  I've been doing the same thing, in almost the same position save for a "Sr." here and there for more than seven years now.  In the IT world, that's an eternity.  It's really a change of scenery that I'm needing, and I hope to get that shortly.

333938[/snapback]

Good luck to you, mcj. IMO your posts here have always been good, thoughtful, and well-worded.

I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

I am actually in this boat.....

I am work in a student affairs office where I absolutley love working with college students and watch them meet their goals and graduate....but my job is absolutely starting to tax on me...

- The commute to and from this place seems to get longer every month

- While the students are cool for the most part we also service faculty (who are ALSO cool for the most part) but we got this certain group...one in particular who seems to take great satisfaction on demeaning me knowing I cannot say anything back.

I am a family man and I would absolutely turn this guy into fricken pretzel if I didn't need to put food on the table and pay the mortgage....and as if this guys knows exactly that he doesn't hold anything back from talking to me in a disrespectful way......

To make matters worse they just hired a overall administrator (has the power to hire and fire ANYBODY except for faculty) who I didn't get along with at my last department......

Time is running out on me here......I am just hoping that I can get into another position faster then I can be fired from this one.

Its a shame to....I have a great supervisor (who basically has no power at all) and the staff are pretty cool.

I know this....this particular faculty person better PRAY that I never win the lottery.

- While the students are cool for the most part we also service faculty (who are ALSO cool for the most part) but we got this certain group...one in particular who seems to take great satisfaction on demeaning me knowing I cannot say anything back.

Why not go talk to the HR department? What he's doing is harassment and making an uncomfortable work environment.

CW

Naah, it's just you.

Unless you count all the people that surf the web and post on message boards during the day.  It's amazing how the traffic here screeches to a halt at 5:00.  ;)

333808[/snapback]

:):):)

Why not go talk to the HR department?  What he's doing is harassment and making an uncomfortable work environment.

CW

333952[/snapback]

Right now I am gathering evidence and documentation.....I want to make sure I have a strong case when I go to HR.

It was not a week ago I asked my supervisor if I could take a break (we are allowed 2 15 minute ones by our CONTRACT) I came back in about 10 minutes and got the riot act in the hallway for everyone to hear......

He was not upset because he was looking for me....he was upset because I had food in my hand and somebody MIGHT be looking for me....

That is the crap I have been having to deal with.....

I realized today that I really dislike what I'm doing at work. 

333801[/snapback]

Awesome! Welcome, Brother! I love this topic.

OK...first and foremost, it is not your fault that you hate your job. It is their fault.

Once you get your mind wrapped around that concept it becomes a lot easier to "time manage". I prefer "time manage" over the more common term "slack" because the connotation of the word "slack" makes an assumption that you are doing something wrong, like "stealing", which I refer to as "not paying".

Most people don't realize the effort and creativity that goes into time management. Take that fellow you work with that took the time to set up his laptop case to make it appear that he was there. Not only did he show a remarkable level of creativity, if he actually left the building he hit a 10 on the risk/reward scale. Upper management takes risks every day, and they get rewarded for taking those risks. His reward was getting paid for not doing a job he already hates.

Also, by putting on the appearance of actually doing his job, he saved a lot of anguish on the part of his manager, who assumes everything is humming right along with the people he is in charge of beating down every day. By "appearing" to work, even though he was gleefully miles away, he did that manager a favor.

There are a lot of people out there who will tell you that they absolutely love their jobs. I like to refer to those people as "liars."

Anyway, good luck brother. Remember, every time you walk out that door at exactly 4:55PM, you walk out with your head held high knowing that for the next 16 hours no one can tell you what to do, and for the 8 hours before that you did only enough to not get fired.

Remember, every time you walk out that door at exactly 4:55PM, you walk out with your head held high knowing that for the next 16 hours no one can tell you what to do, and for the 8 hours before that you did only enough to not get fired.

334033[/snapback]

What if you're on-call 24/7? ;)

CW

Awesome!  Welcome, Brother!  I love this topic.

OK...first and foremost, it is not your fault that you hate your job.  It is their fault. 

Once you get your mind wrapped around that concept it becomes a lot easier to "time manage".  I prefer "time manage" over the more common term "slack" because the connotation of the word "slack" makes an assumption that you are doing something wrong, like "stealing", which I refer to as "not paying".

Most people don't realize the effort and creativity that goes into time management.  Take that fellow you work with that took the time to set up his laptop case to make it appear that he was there.  Not only did he show a remarkable level of creativity, if he actually left the building he hit a 10 on the risk/reward scale.  Upper management takes risks every day, and they get rewarded for taking those risks.  His reward was getting paid for not doing a job he already hates.

Also, by putting on the appearance of actually doing his job, he saved a lot of anguish on the part of his manager, who assumes everything is humming right along with the people he is in charge of beating down every day.  By "appearing" to work, even though he was gleefully miles away, he did that manager a favor.

There are a lot of people out there who will tell you that they absolutely love their jobs.  I like to refer to those people as "liars."

Anyway, good luck brother.  Remember, every time you walk out that door at exactly 4:55PM, you walk out with your head held high knowing that for the next 16 hours no one can tell you what to do, and for the 8 hours before that you did only enough to not get fired.

334033[/snapback]

Ahhhh....that is another lovely part of my job.

We have staff offices directly across from each other......the Department chair works in the other office and has several staff people that work there.....

My and my supervisor work together in a 2 person office.....

Quitting time for me is around 5:30 PM.....it doesnt matter if I come in early and work through lunch.....quitting time is 5 friggen 30 pm.

If I close the office at 5:25 pm (and a lot of the time I shut the door and am STILL HERE WORKING) this moron friggen walks his bike that he rides to work (he lives like 2 minutes away from his desk....) just to see what the hell we are doing up here.....

Keep in mind that he is nowhere in the chain of supervision up here....but is buddies with the Department Chair.

Meanwhile.....NOTHING is said about the staff across the hall if they shut down early because they work for the Chair...and of course this faculty person doesn't want to PO the chair off.....

Just Friday of last week they decided to close the office 2 hours early.....and I was stuck here closing the department down.