Twenty-Fifth Amendment

Irv

11 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Tough to keep up, but I’m guessing whataboutism is ok again in defense of Old Joe. 

No whataboutism here. I just said Biden is not as sharp at 79 as he was at 70. I don’t like the idea of trying to remove a President under the 25th Amendment just because he’s slipped a bit. Didn’t like it with Trump, don’t like it with Biden. That amendment was ratified to fill a constitutional gap when the President is rendered truly incompetent - think “in a coma.” We don’t want to open that can of worms and have palace coups all over the place. Biden is pretty much the same at 79 as he was at almost 78, when he was elected. Trump was pretty much the same at 74 as when he was elected at 70. We don’t go around overturning elections - what we saw is what we got in both cases. 
The point is this: age limits are overall a good thing. They reflect the reality of old age decline. Again, that decline usually isn’t Alzheimer’s or something dramatic. It’s just a fact of life. Supreme Court justices have a cushy job, and one that doesn’t require long, sustained efforts. Experience and wisdom of age count for more. Breyer seemed much the same boring intellectual at 83 as he was at 63. Ginsburg? There’s kind of a conspiracy of silence about her, but to me she showed clear decline in her 80s. So … maybe 80 for them, understanding that you will occasionally disqualify men and women still operating at a high level. That’s the price you pay for avoiding the opposite. But President? I’d still say no one ought to be President after about 75, so maybe make anyone over 70 ineligible to run. 

25 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No whataboutism here. I just said Biden is not as sharp at 79 as he was at 70. I don’t like the idea of trying to remove a President under the 25th Amendment just because he’s slipped a bit. Didn’t like it with Trump, don’t like it with Biden. That amendment was ratified to fill a constitutional gap when the President is rendered truly incompetent - think “in a coma.” We don’t want to open that can of worms and have palace coups all over the place. Biden is pretty much the same at 79 as he was at almost 78, when he was elected. Trump was pretty much the same at 74 as when he was elected at 70. We don’t go around overturning elections - what we saw is what we got in both cases. 
The point is this: age limits are overall a good thing. They reflect the reality of old age decline. Again, that decline usually isn’t Alzheimer’s or something dramatic. It’s just a fact of life. Supreme Court justices have a cushy job, and one that doesn’t require long, sustained efforts. Experience and wisdom of age count for more. Breyer seemed much the same boring intellectual at 83 as he was at 63. Ginsburg? There’s kind of a conspiracy of silence about her, but to me she showed clear decline in her 80s. So … maybe 80 for them, understanding that you will occasionally disqualify men and women still operating at a high level. That’s the price you pay for avoiding the opposite. But President? I’d still say no one ought to be President after about 75, so maybe make anyone over 70 ineligible to run. 

Trump’s energy level at 74 was remarkable, and that of a person much, much younger.  His energy now is incredible, though I would prefer he not run. 

Biden is sinking  into the abyss, somehow appearing years older than his quite advanced age.  

I agree on the 25th Amendment, but for a different reason.   The American people voted for this old codger, he should see it through.  

My Senility Ratio—Mental Sharpness in Today over Mental Sharpness In One’s Prime. First Rough Draft:

100% Mitch McConnell. The old toad is exactly the same Machiavellian schemer at 80 as he’s always been

100% Chuck Schumer. Same. But he’s only 70. 

85% Nancy Pelosi. Remember, it’s a ratio, and she didn’t start out at the genius level. 

65%. Trump and Biden. See the Pelosi Rule, above. Watch Trump interviews from the 1980s or early 1990s. It’s a pretty striking change. We used to have complete thoughts and sentences. Now it’s just a barrage of self-interruptions and catch phrases and rambling old man grudges. Biden: a blowhard then and a blowhard now, but it’s harder to mask the absence of deep thoughts when you start slurring words. 

1%. Rudy Giuliani. This man was once a fantastic prosecutor and then an effective mayor. He is certifiably loony now, contradicts himself within the same sentence, and if he’s ever prosecuted he’ll probably skate if he wages a senility defense. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

54 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

100% Mitch McConnell. The old toad is exactly the same Machiavellian schemer at 80 as he’s always been

Don't disagree, but I just found it kind of funny to have these two next to each other. Schumer may not have lost his "fastball", but Mitch has been throwing 105 MPH heaters his whole career while Chuck has been topping out at 80 MPH the whole time.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My Senility Ratio—Mental Sharpness in Today over Mental Sharpness In One’s Prime. First Rough Draft:

85% Nancy Pelosi. Remember, it’s a ratio, and she didn’t start out at the genius level. 

65%. Trump and Biden. See the Pelosi Rule, above. Watch Trump interviews from the 1980s or early 1990s. It’s a pretty striking change. We used to have complete thoughts and sentences. Now it’s just a barrage of self-interruptions and catch phrases and rambling old man grudges. Biden: a blowhard then and a blowhard now, but it’s harder to mask the absence of deep thoughts when you start slurring words. 

1%. Rudy Giuliani. This man was once a fantastic prosecutor and then an effective mayor. He is certifiably loony now, contradicts himself within the same sentence, and if he’s ever prosecuted he’ll probably skate if he wages a senility defense. 

I agree that Rudy has gone off the rails.  Literally walked the City through one of the darkest episodes in history with grace, courage and leadership.   

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I agree that Rudy has gone off the rails.  Literally walked the City through one of the darkest episodes in history with grace, courage and leadership.   

Right. So if somehow Rudy had become President in 2016, and started behaving like this in 2018 or so, I’d probably agree

with those invoking the 25th Amendment. His is a special kind of senility. The drunken kind. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/us/politics/jan-6-trump-meeting-screaming.html

OK, Trump officially passed Biden in the He's Completely Lost It derby. Diminished judgement is a clear sign. If Deranged Rhino Greggy or whatever his name is had been delivering Five Guys burgers to the White House he too probably would have been called in to provide "advice."

The Oval Office, December 18, the New Trump Braintrust has assembled:

Mr. Herschmann [a deputy WH counsel] said he was flabbergasted by what he was hearing.

“And I was asking, like, are you claiming the Democrats were working with Hugo Chavez, Venezuelans and whomever else? And at one point, General Flynn took out a diagram that supposedly showed IP addresses all over the world and who was communicating with whom via the machines. And some comment about, like, Nest thermostats being hooked up to the internet.”

Finally, the group ended up in the White House residence.

Ms. Powell believed that she had been appointed special counsel, something that Mr. Trump declared he wanted, including that she should have a security clearance, which other aides opposed. She testified that others said that even if that happened, they would ignore her. She said she would have “fired” them on the spot for such insubordination.

Mr. Trump, she said, told her something to the effect of: “You see what I deal with? I deal with this all the time.”