Al Qaida #3 guy turns out not to be...

http://csmonitor.com/2005/0510/dailyUpdate.html

Turns out we are taking the word of the Pakistanis a little too much. Not a good idea considering how much "bad intelligence" we have been getting for the last 5 years. Funny that this story is not getting much play in the news. You sure won't be seeing it on Fox.

PTR

That must be why we keep catching the #3 man over and over and... :blush:

As to why you won't here much about the mixup, this article is interesting as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/blackandwhiteandfullofcrap

333182[/snapback]

Is this like Clinton's bombing of the factory in Africa that turned out not to be manufacturing deadly chemicals?

YAWN................

Oh ya, Halliburton...

333228[/snapback]

Er...Bill's darlings - World Com, Global Crossing (that's the one that DNC chairman made 19 million in six months with a a 100K investment), Enron, and so on.

Don't you ever read past the propaganda?

I guess this confusion is typical. It is amusing to me (ya have to laugh or you cry a lot) that I surmised on TSW that this whole story seemed odd to me and more of a creation of our US minds because I doubted that Al Quadea was even intially organized in a western hierarchical manner where there was a #4, #1 or whatever that we can wrap our minds around and put on a deck of cards.

I thought this hierarchal description was even less accurate since the US had kicked Al-Quaeda and the Taliban's butts out of the country they took over in Afghanistan which forced them into a more traditional structure.

Wiser heads who said they know A-Q through all their study (dubious souces such as the Internet no doubt) pooh-poohed my pooh-poohing of the President hailing this catch as being motivated by it being beneficial to his popularity.

Who knows what the heck is happening. I think the bottomline for us in the US is that we have failed to exact any accountability on the folks in charge for their errors. Perhaps we have good reason for sticking our heads in the sands because we do not want to do anything but support our boys and girls who are honoring us all by going into harm's way to follow our C-n-C's orders.

I love our troops and honor their sacrifice for my and our benefit. However, I really am getting quite sick of our leaders mess up intelligence call after intelligence call and then hide behind the sacrifice our troops are making when someone call for accountability and responsibility for intelligence errors.

The idea that we would give the Medal of Freedom to the idiot who said our Iraqi intelliegence was a slam dunk is simply silly and is a disservice to the country and our brave troops.

I guess this confusion is typical. It is amusing to me (ya have to laugh or you cry a lot) that I surmised on TSW that this whole story seemed odd to me and more of a creation of our US minds because I doubted that Al Quadea was even intially organized in a western hierarchical manner where there was a #4, #1 or whatever that we can wrap our minds around and put on a deck of cards.

I thought this hierarchal description was even less accurate since the US had kicked Al-Quaeda and the Taliban's butts out of the country they took over in Afghanistan which forced them into a more traditional structure.

Wiser heads who said they know A-Q through all their study (dubious souces such as the Internet no doubt) pooh-poohed my pooh-poohing of the President hailing this catch as being motivated by it being beneficial to his popularity.

333236[/snapback]

Well there is a kind of hierachy in all terrorist groups, and there are still a number of serious players of the core AQ group out there, otherwise international attacks would not occur. Whilst the west has put a 'number' on the senior members of the gang it is quite true that that would not reflect a true seniority. But a group that has run numerous complex international operations will produce some individuals who are more aware of the group's plans and would have more useful intelligence, and would be recognised within the group as 'senior'.

That being said all terrorist groups traditionally have had a method of promotion from within (and only the most talented live long enough to get promoted) and I can not see AQ being THAT different.

What specifically appears to be the issue here is a confusion as to which Libyan al-Libbi was caught in Pakistan, and it is not helped that the spelling of these Arabic names can get altered when it is anglicised (eg: Gadafi/Qadafi the head of Libya - he uses both, and others besides). So when an Libyan AQ member called al-Libbi got caught a lot of people immediately thought of al-Liby, including intelligence guys as mentioned in the report.

The OTHER al-Liby is a very senior player and his capture would be a major coup against AQ.

Of course the other thing that causes confusion is that Al-Qaeda has a core group of its own operatives but the majority of the scumbag actually belong to other terrorist groups that it is affiliated with (nothing new in the terrorist fraternity, the old Palestinian & European groups used to co-operate with training camps, sharng of expertise and this is still evident today with the training of FARC in Columbia by the old IRA). As these groups have their own heirachy the situation can not help but be confused.

That must be why we keep catching the #3 man over and over and... :P

As to why you won't here much about the mixup, this article is interesting as well:

333182[/snapback]

What's "interesting" about this article? It is misinformation fueled by twisting facts in such a way they become lies.

As sharp-eyed readers learned a few months ago from single-paragraph articles buried deep inside their newspapers, Pat Tillman died pointlessly, a hapless victim of "friendly fire" who never got the chance to choose between bravery and cowardice.

That news actually ran onthe front page of the Washington Post, NY Times, and LA Times. Not hardly the one paragraph articles he said were buried inside newspapers.

That fact of the matter is that Cpl. Tillman did not die pointlessly. It was a tragedy the way things happened. Just terrible. But he was there that night, engaged in a real firefight, for some very real, solid reasons.

It is also important to remember that Cpl. Tillman chose "between bravery and cowardice" multiple times in his life, and those choices he made brought him to that battlefield that night.

That must be why we keep catching the #3 man over and over and... :P

333182[/snapback]

What the hell is that BS article? That goofball knows less about the subject on which he opines than most of the people here know about it...