I think we've all added 15 mins to a timesheet

When I read that article, I can't help but think about the Family Guy Episode where Stewie is sent to a foster home.

Chinese Baby: Stewie, come complete our rainbow.

Stewie: I've got a better idea, let's go play swallow the stuff under the sink.

When I read that article, I can't help but think about the Family Guy Episode where Stewie is sent to a foster home.

Chinese Baby: Stewie, come complete our rainbow.

Stewie: I've got a better idea, let's go play swallow the stuff under the sink.

332696[/snapback]

<_<:D:P

Are you currently at work?  You are stealing time from your employer right now if you are.

332987[/snapback]

Only if you're an hourly employee currently on the clock. I'm salaried/exempt, so I don't have to "put in" a certain number of hours a day to get paid. I get paid the same for working 35 hours a week as I do for working 80 hours a week. Nice try though. :blush:

(oh, and unfortunatley I generally seem to be closer to the 80 than the 40....)

CW

Are you currently at work?  You are stealing time from your employer right now if you are.

332987[/snapback]

Wrong! I get a hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks a day. Only post during those.

If anything, I short change myself at work by leaving hours off during busy periods to help my department meet the budget. Means less money in my pocket now but I've worked my way up the ladder quicker then anyone as the manager remembers such things.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.

The holier than thou attitude in this thread is inane. The facts are simple: lying about how much time you put into a job is effectively stealing. However, there are some important things people are missing here:

Posting on a message board, checking your stocks, day dreaming, talking to co-workers, getting coffee, etc. are ALL unproductive uses of your time at work. Is it stealing if you do that stuff while on the clock? No, it is not.

You are being paid for your time there. The rate at which you work is something you have to determine with management or your client. If you are goofing off more than acceptable, you are being dishonest or dishonorable but you are not stealing.

I guess I forget the last time someone was prosecuted for petty larceny when he took too long a crap while at work.

Goofing off at work is the definition of a gray area where reasonableness needs to prevail.

There is a difference between slacking on the job (indirect stealing) and knowingly falsifying timecards (blanted stealing.) While both could be looked at the same, one is a direct act that must be thought out and the intentions known, the other is indirect.

There is a difference between slacking on the job (indirect stealing) and knowingly falsifying timecards (blanted stealing.) While both could be looked at the same, one is a direct act that must be thought out and the intentions known, the other is indirect.

333058[/snapback]

Can you mult-task while cheating on your time card?

CHD is an azz himself, go ahead and lick yourself, because you can. Putz :blush:

I see nothing wrong with busting ass all day, finishin a job at 445 or so, and puttin 5 on your time card, as we all used to do when i was working landscaping...not saying this justifies it, but the owners were dicks and treated all us workers like sh-- anyway, so they deserved it...

The holier than thou attitude in this thread is inane. The facts are simple: lying about how much time you put into a job is effectively stealing. However, there are some important things people are missing here:

Posting on a message board, checking your stocks, day dreaming, talking to co-workers, getting coffee, etc. are ALL unproductive uses of your time at work. Is it stealing if you do that stuff while on the clock? No, it is not.

You are being paid for your time there. The rate at which you work is something you have to determine with management or your client. If you are goofing off more than acceptable, you are being dishonest or dishonorable but you are not stealing.

I guess I forget the last time someone was prosecuted for petty larceny when he took too long a crap while at work.

Goofing off at work is the definition of a gray area where reasonableness needs to prevail.

333048[/snapback]

You sound like the plumbers I had to hire last week. Since it came out of my own pocket, it seemed like stealing to me. They took umbrage when I told them to get on with the job. So am I safe to assume you think you would be accomodating if you were billeed for an additional 70 bucks?

333058[/snapback]

I agree with what you are saying. It's really a judgment call as to what is legitimate and what is not when it comes to how productive one is. I think we can call this stuff a gray area that should be worked out between personal responsibility and management when appropriate. It seems clear, though, that claiming 28 hours in a day is a bit more black and white than posting a message or two while at work. In general, this is why I dislike hourly wages. It is a necessary evil but it does not promote industriousness. Work harder, less hours, less pay. Bad incentives indeed.

You sound like the plumbers I had to hire last week. Since it came out of my own pocket, it seemed like stealing to me. They took umbrage when I told them to get on with the job. So am I safe to assume you think you would be accomodating if you were billeed for an additional 70 bucks?

333268[/snapback]

It's a difficult to set a hard and fast rule on that. You know what they say about obscenity: you know when you see it. Well, I think the same can be said about slacking off. There's a difference between taking a reasonable breather when working hard and dicking around and ripping someone off. We just kind of know it when we see it and I am sorry to hear about what happened with the plumbers. Many others in the profession would understand how to keep that balance or not have it be a question at all.

I think another point to make is some people have a regular 9-5 job where they are required to be there for those hours. When there's no work to do (because work comes in spurts) managers usually expect that employees will take it easy until they need to apply themselves again. Also, some general pauses in work are accepted as a means to keep the energy going and to keep work being done at a high clip.

It's a difficult to set a hard and fast rule on that. You know what they say about obscenity: you know when you see it. Well, I think the same can be said about slacking off. There's a difference between taking a reasonable breather when working hard and dicking around and ripping someone off. We just kind of know it when we see it and I am sorry to hear about what happened with the plumbers. Many others in the profession would understand how to keep that balance or not have it be a question at all.

333304[/snapback]

Yes - life is mostly shades of grey. But there are individuals who given the proverbial inch attempt to take the proverbial mile. They ruin it for the rest of us -you know what I mean.

Yes - life is mostly shades of grey. But there are individuals who given the proverbial inch attempt to take the proverbial mile.  They ruin it for the rest of us -you know what I mean.

333310[/snapback]

Amen, brother!