NYC Stones Fans

Rico

Daryl Jones is the only non-Stone scheduled to play at the press conference with the 4 Stones. Maybe, just maybe this tour won't be another Vegas Revue as we've seen the past 16 years... though I'm there no matter what.

332452[/snapback]

If this tour's in support of a new album, they'll want to play it tight and avoid any self-parody. Any ideas if the PC will be webcast?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this tour's in support of a new album, they'll want to play it tight and avoid any self-parody.  Any ideas if the PC will be webcast?

332456[/snapback]

I think it'll be on rollingstones.com.

The best Stones show that I ever saw was the performance at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in the summer of '75

332462[/snapback]

That was my first Stones concert. I've seen them tons of times since. I've never been disappointed. They will always be the "Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band".

Press Conference Live Here!

Three songs will be played:

"Start Me Up"

"Oh No Not You Again," a new track off their upcoming CD

"Brown Sugar"

332805[/snapback]

Top ticket price $450 for venues listed on TM!!!!! :blush::ph34r:

Press conference said top price will be $500 in some venues.

Presale is available if you are a PAID member of the fan club.

Make sure to grab a couple of $75 t-shirts while you're there!!

Make no mistake, I love the Stones, but I have the sense to know that when someone asks me to bend over and grab my ankles their not offering to scratch my back.

Make no mistake, I love the Stones, but I have the sense to know that when someone asks me to bend over and grab my ankles their not offering to scratch my back.

332919[/snapback]

I love the Stones too, but they are at least partly responsible for turning the music industry into big business, as much based on marketing as it is music. Kind of reminds me of my other favorite entertainment medium, the NFL!

I am the sucker born in my minute! :blush:

Top ticket price $450 for venues listed on TM!!!!!  :blush:  :ph34r:

Press conference said top price will be $500 in some venues.

Presale is available if you are a PAID member of the fan club.

Make sure to grab a couple of $75 t-shirts while you're there!!

332919[/snapback]

Supply and demand, baby! Those seats will be snapped up in the blink of an eye by big city fans with mucho disposable $$$.

Why begrudge bands that have the sales power to capitalize on it?

By the way I just found out that the cost to Join the Rolling Stone Fan Club so that you can buy presale tickets..... $100~!!! :blush:

I don't care if people will pay it, it doesn't make it right and it doesn't make anyone who would pay it sane.

By the way I just found out that the cost to Join the Rolling Stone Fan Club so that you can buy presale tickets..... $100~!!! :blush:

I don't care if people will pay it, it doesn't make it right and it doesn't make anyone who would pay it sane.

332980[/snapback]

It's worth it if it got you into a club show like Roseland in 2002 ($50 face), or at the Beacon this year.

The only women at Nine Inch Nails shows

:blush:  :ph34r:  :lol:

332974[/snapback]

I like lots of other music besides NIN. I listen to bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath who could produce music today that is FAR more intriguing than anything the Stones are doing at this point.

The new Robert Plant solo album is ten times better than what the Stones will release.

They are finished and have been for twenty years.

Pink Floyd could fart on a snare drum and make it sound more interesting than the Stones are these days.

332980[/snapback]

Not to pick on you, but I've never understood this kind of reasoning. Usually it comes down to "if I can't afford it, it must be wrong" kind of logic.

Whether it's a Stones' show, the Superbowl or any high-profile event where demand exceeds supply, ticket prices reflect what the market will bear.

Not to pick on you, but I've never understood this kind of reasoning.  Usually it comes down to "if I can't afford it, it must be wrong" kind of logic. 

Whether it's a Stones' show, the Superbowl or any high-profile event where demand exceeds supply, ticket prices reflect what the market will bear.

333026[/snapback]

My point is that even if I could afford it I would NEVER spend this kind of money for THIS event. If I go to a Super Bowl I am seeing athletes competing at the peak of their game, the Stones at this point in their career can in no way be considered at the top of their game.

Although the Stones have not put out a memorable record since 1981, I still love them...what they did that first 20 years or so can't be blemished by what they have done after.  I have seen them about a dozen times, between 1978-1993.  They were great shows. I kind of disagree with you, while agreeing.  I don't think it is so much what they "can't do musically", as much as they can't really write songs anymore. 

Each of their albums over the last 20 years has had a decent track or two (usually Keiths' numbers) but the rest just sound like they were written to be played live in a stadium, in front of 90,000 people, with enless repetitive riffs, giving Mick time to run from one end of the stage to the other.  They are maybe the only band that I would love see do a cover album. 

A few years back, they did a "live" in the studio album, called "Stripped" which was maybe the best thing they have done the last 20 years.  It contained some re-recorded versions of their vintage stuff ("Wild Horses") as well as some covers.  They sound amazing on this record.  They can still play, they just can't write.  As a die-hard Stones fan, it saddens me to say, I have no interest in ever seeing them live again.  I would rather not see them like that.

I picked up the "Live Licks" dvd they did about 3 years ago.  It features a stadium performance, an auditorium performance, and a small theater performance.  The theater show is awesome.  That is the only way I would ever pay to see them again....saw McCartney back in 1989, and it tarnished my respect for him considerably.  Never want that to happen with the Glimmer Twins!

332451[/snapback]

agreed, but i would suggest you check out "evening gown" on mick jagger's wandering spirit -- it's almost as good as the best countryish stuff on exile ("torn and frayed" in particular. in my opinion, it's the best thing any of them have recorded since some girls (i was no fan of tattoo you except for perhaps keith's t & a song).

Jagger Struts His Stuff to Announce Stones Tour

New York Times

By STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM

Published: May 10, 2005

The Rolling Stones will kick off a world tour this summer, the band announced today at a news conference that began fittingly with a booming, heart-thumping performance of "Start Me Up."

"In the first performance of their 2005 tour, please welcome the Rolling Stones," a voice announced today at Lincoln Center in Manhattan, as a white curtain dappled with the rock band's signature red tongue logos dropped to the ground and Mick Jagger - clad in a pale blue blazer, pink belt and dark shades - began to sing and gyrate to screams and applause.

The tour, still to be named, will begin in Boston, at Fenway Park, on Aug. 21. One New York-area show was announced, for Sept. 15, at Giants Stadium.

The group's tour manager said the band would perform throughout the United States and Canada from August through December, when it will take a break.

The tour starts up again in January, making stops in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Buenos Aires and other cities in South America. From there, the band plans to move on to Japan and China before taking another break in May. The European leg of the tour begins in June 2006.

That he is a sexagenarian didn't seem to faze Mr. Jagger's fans on nearby rooftops and around the stage as they pumped their fists in the air and watched the band perform, somewhat surprisingly, below the facade of "The Julliard School."

True to form, Mr. Jagger, 61, waved his hands in the air and jumped up and down, showing off his still rail-thin stomach.

"I'll never stop, never stop, never stop," he sang, strutting back and forth.

The band also played a new song called "Oh No, Not You Again" and the classic hit "Brown Sugar." A new CD, to be released by Virgin Records in conjunction with the tour, has yet to be completed or named, though Mr. Jagger called the album "85 percent done."

"How was that for a first show?" the band's tour manager shouted to the crowd when the set at Lincoln Center concluded.

It is the first time that the Rolling Stones have performed at a press event since 1975, when the band sang "Brown Sugar" on top of a flatbed truck as it rode down Fifth Avenue.

Tickets for the tour go on sale on May 14 for Boston, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, and Calgary. Additional cities and dates have yet to be announced. American Express card members can get tickets for the Boston show as early as today.

Ticket prices average $99 for stadium shows and $110 for arenas. All tickets for theater and club shows will be $50. More information is available on the band's official Web site, RollingStones.com.

"We hope it's going to be a wonderful summer of rock and roll," Mr. Jagger said.

When asked if this tour would be the band's last, Mr. Jagger responded, "We certainly don't announce tours as the last tour," adding that he felt it was unfair to fans to do so.

"We never think about it," the ageless rocker said. "We take each tour as it comes."

Jagger Struts His Stuff to Announce Stones Tour

Ticket prices average $99 for stadium shows and $110 for arenas. All tickets for theater and club shows will be $50. More information is available on the band's official Web site, RollingStones.com.

333036[/snapback]

Yeah, but its more fun when I concentrate ONLY on the most expensive ticket price. :blush:

If I could get a ticket (even for $100) to see the Stones at the BEacon theater, I would be first in line, but to pay 500 to sit in the front row at RFK or Soldier field is :ph34r:

I like lots of other music besides NIN.  I listen to bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath who could produce music today that is FAR more intriguing than anything the Stones are doing at this point.

The new Robert Plant solo album is ten times better than what the Stones will release.

They are finished and have been for twenty years.

Pink Floyd could fart on a snare drum and make it sound more interesting than the Stones are these days.

332985[/snapback]

Okay, pile on the Stones, but to say that Pink Floyd, Robert Plant and Black Sabbath could produce music FAR more intriguing than the Stones, at this point, is a stretch. They are all past their prime. The Stones are a bigger "beast" than any of these others, as far as historical import goes. All these bands came into popularity during rocks "super group" faze (ie: the 70's) and owe a ton of debt to the Stones for having the careers they have. The Stones have a lot more history on their shoulders...