Student Suspended Over Call to Mom in Iraq

Once again, the retard rodeo shows how little they understand anything outside their own little world.

"Why did his mom call while he was in school?"

Uh, probably because that's when she had both opportunity and ability.  You see, when serving in 3rd world countries it's not always easy or affordable to speak to your family members.  The rules are probably a little different now (or maybe they aren't) but when I was in we got ONE morale call a month on the government.  Because there are so many people, they are generally at programmed times.

Now, that may or may not be the case but thanks to the school and some of you for "supporting the troops."  Zero tolerance policies, lack of understanding, and lemmings who follow along all SUCK.  :unsure:

331291[/snapback]

hear, hear. While I was in Kuwait (the world's largest kitty-litter box), I would call home at say 1 in the afternoon, and it would be 1 in the AM in the US of A. 13 hours difference can be a b!tch.

This principal should be slapped around for being such a wank.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is.  The phone shouldnt have even been on.  Mom (as an adult should be able to figure out the time defference) should not have called.  Said student should not abuse authority by opening up his potty mouth.

331806[/snapback]

Once again, those who haven't served should STFU about this particular situation. Blaming a parent for using the opportunity afforded to call their family while serving in a war zone wearing this country's uniform is short sighted at best.

There's no way we'd have won WWII today.

For Christ's sake, this kid wasn't even in a classroom. He was at LUNCH. The very fabric of our society was nearly torn to shreds right there.

Once again, those who haven't served should STFU about this particular situation.  Blaming a parent for using the opportunity afforded to call their family while serving in a war zone wearing this country's uniform is short sighted at best.

331844[/snapback]

This is taking way too long! Pull the troops out of Normandy NOW!!!!

:unsure:

Once again, those who haven't served should STFU about this particular situation. Blaming a parent for using the opportunity afforded to call their family while serving in a war zone wearing this country's uniform is short sighted at best.

You're right. Mom taught her son a valuable lesson. Screw authority. Do what you want when you want to. That's what makes the military so effective and cohesive. Chain of command. I'll bet mom was about to go out on an operation and wanted to tell her son she loved him. Or she had some down time and wanted to shoot the sh--. I sure hope, for her squadmates sake she follows directions better than her son does.

BTW you have no idea how close we came to losing WW2.

Exactly!

As so eloquently AD pointed out :unsure:  I DID NOT HEAR the kid's take on it.  I am probably guessing it went down something like you said and they are trying to "push the issue"... Maybe not?

Like I said before, if he made a point to be respectful and a valid gesture knowing it was against the rules... I take, the teacher wouldn't have came down hard if the student didn't go off?

I have to trust the authority figures here... Not doing so, only compounds the situation and undermines things further.

The burden should be on the student.

Unfortunately the media (whoever exposed it) wants the burden to fall on the school?  Politically motivated?  I don't know?  But, it undermines a lot.

331363[/snapback]

It doesn't undermine ANYTHING. Questioning poor decisions and the lack of common sense is the reason this very country exists. No one, regardless of position, should be given carte blanche to do what they want.

Control of schools has been seized from educators over the years because increasingly they've proven untrustworthy (this is not a slam at all teachers or school officials, either). It's too bad, really.

Once again, those who haven't served should STFU about this particular situation. 

Oh look, another post saying, "If you don't have the exact same life experiences as I do, then you have no right to comment on the situation." :unsure:

Sorry AD, but there are rules for a reason. He wasn't supposed to have his cell phone on. If what the stories are saying is true and he didn't bother explaining WHO he was talking to on the phone or didn't tell school officials ahead of time about the chance his mother would call and instead decided to go ballistic when told he wasn't allowed to be on the phone, then it's entirely on the student. You can do whatever you want in this world, but there are always consequences to things you do. Cause and effect. He broke not only the cell phone rule, but also the "don't verbally assault a teacher" rule, and being suspended is the consequence. I don't see what the problem is in this situation.

CW

I'm late to this discussion, but the kid should have taken the call, talked to his mother as long as he damn well pleased, and then ACCEPTED THE CONSEQUENCES for breaking the school's rules (i.e. no cell phone use). If he told the teacher to f off and didn't explain why he was on the phone, he should accept the consequences for that too. Small price to pay for getting to talk to his mother. He gets what he needs and the school enforces its rules. I don't see why we have to make this about who's supporting the troops and who's not.

I'm late to this discussion, but the kid should have taken the call, talked to his mother as long as he damn well pleased, and then ACCEPTED THE CONSEQUENCES for breaking the school's rules (i.e. no cell phone use).  If he told the teacher to f off and didn't explain why he was on the phone, he should accept the consequences for that too.  Small price to pay for getting to talk to his mother.  He gets what he needs and the school enforces its rules.  I don't see why we have to make this about who's supporting the troops and who's not.

331853[/snapback]

Exactly.

CW

Oh look, another post saying, "If you don't have the exact same life experiences as I do, then you have no right to comment on the situation."  :unsure:

Sorry AD, but there are rules for a reason.  He wasn't supposed to have his cell phone on.  If what the stories are saying is true and he didn't bother explaining WHO he was talking to on the phone or didn't tell school officials ahead of time about the chance his mother would call and instead decided to go ballistic when told he wasn't allowed to be on the phone, then it's entirely on the student.  You can do whatever you want in this world, but there are always consequences to things you do.  Cause and effect.  He broke not only the cell phone rule, but also the "don't verbally assault a teacher" rule, and being suspended is the consequence.  I don't see what the problem is in this situation.

CW

331850[/snapback]

IF the stories are true.

IF he went ballistic.

He was at lunch. He was talking to his mom serving our country in Iraq. He got SUSPENDED for TEN days?

I understand the cell phone rule. I also understand using common sense when it's warranted. Pretty much everyone was wrong in this entire situation but only the kid is being punished and IMO far too harshly (when I was in school, missing more than 9 days in a quarter was enough to have them keep you around another year).

About the only reason I even got involved in this thread was the Riddler's ridiculous "why did his mom call then?" post.

As far as life experience goes, it has more validity in any opinion than picking up a book or watching a television show. Let me know in 10 years if you think any differently than you do now.

Control of schools has been seized from educators over the years because increasingly they've proven untrustworthy (this is not a slam at all teachers or school officials, either).  It's too bad, really.

331849[/snapback]

What's more, the judgement of school administrators has been replaced over the past decade (at least, maybe more) with "zero tolerance" policies. Had administration used any reasonable judgement, they'd have ascertained the situation ("kid talking to his mom half a world away in a theater of war), taken the kid to the school office, and told him "Talk to your mom here". As it is, they probably didn't have the opportunity to exercise any judgement because the school has a "zero tolerance" rule for phone calls.

BTW, some phone company (Nextel, I think), set up a phone network in Iraq very early on and arranged things so servicemen had free and easy access to calls back to the US...making calls out still isn't a picnic, but it's not as difficult as it usually is, as you related in an earlier post.

IF the stories are true.

IF he went ballistic.

He was at lunch.  He was talking to his mom serving our country in Iraq.  He got SUSPENDED for TEN days?

I understand the cell phone rule.  I also understand using common sense when it's warranted.  Pretty much everyone was wrong in this entire situation but only the kid is being punished and IMO far too harshly (when I was in school, missing more than 9 days in a quarter was enough to have them keep you around another year).

About the only reason I even got involved in this thread was the Riddler's ridiculous "why did his mom call then?" post.

As far as life experience goes, it has more validity in any opinion than picking up a book or watching a television show.  Let me know in 10 years if you think any differently than you do now.

331858[/snapback]

But he wasn't suspended for 10 days; the school reviewed the case and cut it down to 3 days. End of story.

And if everyone without service experience has to STFU, then everyone without NFL playing experience better STFU on this board too. Only OT posts allowed from now on! :unsure:

CW

But he wasn't suspended for 10 days; the school reviewed the case and cut it down to 3 days.  End of story.

And if everyone without service experience has to STFU, then everyone without NFL playing experience better STFU on this board too.  Only OT posts allowed from now on!  :blink:

CW

331861[/snapback]

Works for me. :unsure:

As far as life experience goes, it has more validity in any opinion than picking up a book or watching a television show.  Let me know in 10 years if you think any differently than you do now.

331858[/snapback]

As someone who's received enough calls from Kuwait to realize the difficulty of calling out, I think your characterization of "anyone who hasn't served should STFU" was unnecessarily narrow. I haven't served...but I have talked to people in Iraq who've tried for a month to find 5 minutes to pick up the phone. I think that life experience counts too...

Had administration used any reasonable judgement, they'd have ascertained the situation ("kid talking to his mom half a world away in a theater of war), taken the kid to the school office, and told him "Talk to your mom here".  As it is, they probably didn't have the opportunity to exercise any judgement because the school has a "zero tolerance" rule for phone calls. 

But the school DID use reasonable judgement by cutting the suspension down to 3 days. Kid broke the rules, he has to have consequences. That's how the real world works. My manager was late to a wedding in Iowa, so he was speeding down the interstate to make it on time. He was pulled over, and the officer asked why he was speeding. My manager told him he had to get to a wedding. The officer wrote him a ticket, looked at his watch and said, "You'll make it."

He ended up getting to the wedding on time, but because he was speeding he had to pay the ticket. Consequences.

CW

He ended up getting to the wedding on time, but because he was speeding he had to pay the ticket.  Consequences.

CW

331866[/snapback]

I don't disagree with that, and I've paid the consequences for similar actions that were necessary.

But had the school used reasonable judgement FROM THE START, instead of blindly implementing a "zero tolerance" policy, we wouldn't even be discussing it. And of course, now that they have ex post facto, their policy suddenly isn't so "zero tolerance...so now they have the worst of both worlds: a strict policy that precludes the use of judgement in a situation, and a policy that suddenly isn't so strict for this exception being made.

It is a !@#$ING stupid way to run a school...or anything, for that matter.

not sure if this has been said, but his punishment was reduced to 3 days, and he was back in school today.

from what I heard the town has lots of men and women in Iraq and in the middle east. And if all the students have to follow those rules reguardless then I see the school's point. The child's reaction was cause for what he was dealt. not the actual phone call, and I hope that is what the school was punishing him for