So whats left to do to free up cap?

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

good accounting...now for the practice squad, they draw a weekly salary as well, does that hit the cap as well for another 1M+

Doesnt Count against Cap 

How does it work with the salary cap?

Practice squad players do not count against the salary cap. If someone gets promoted to the active roster, he'd be at a minimum salary that wouldn't negatively affect the cap anyway. So this is almost like a tax-free benefit, like airline points and hotel rewards programs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32256800/why-nfl-practice-squads-loaded-big-name-players-know-how-rules-work-more

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, klos63 said:

IF the Bills sign their picks of rounds 1-4, that's almost $5.6 million in rookie salaries they need to have space for. Not sure how people come up with $2-3 million. Right now, player #51 has a $706k cap hit, add #1 pick of $2.6 million, then #50 becomes #51, his cap hit is $825K, which means for the #1 pick, we need about $2.5 alone.

I think I'm understanding this right, correct me if i'm wrong.

OK but what your not doing is subtracting out the cap hits of the last 4 players as they now drop off and will become #51 thru #54.  Gentry thru Harris salaries will no longer count so that saves about $3.1 mil.  So $5.6 minus $3.1 = $2.5 additional needed.

In your example above you state #1 pick is $2.6 and now your removing $.7, nets to $1.9 mil NOT $2.5 mil.  Did you instead of taking away $700k or .7 mil take it as $70k or .07 mil.  Then it would be $2.5 mil.

There's still 6 guys who aren't even listed with salaries, Barkley, Lee, |Lawson, Phillips, Johnson so the salaries coming off will even be higher then for the rookies, more like the next four are all in the $900k range so that adds up to $3.6 dropping off.

Think we're both understanding it correct, but maybe your calculator needs a new battery?? LOL

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.