Astro’s Pick 6 for March

Cantankeous

On 2/25/2022 at 4:59 AM, Magox said:

I've said many times before that I never liked the idea of drafting a run plugging DT for your first round choice and that typically if you are going to draft a first round DT it should be someone who can penetrate and make lots of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

The more I have seen video of Jordan Davis the more my view on him particularly is evolving.  I can't think of anyone since Ndamukong Suh and Haloti Ngata a player dominate and stop the run as effectively as Jordan Davis.  He's not just an effective run plugger, he very likely will become an elite run stuffer, top 3 kind of guy.  He will always command a double team, he would most certainly free up Oliver to make even more plays behind the line of scrimmage.  

When you have someone who is that elite at stopping the run and who is that imposing of a figure, it alters the scheme.   He changes the whole dynamic on how a team has to attempt to attack your defense, not to mention he would be a handful in the pass rush.  Not so much that he himself would get lots of sacks or pressures, because most likely he wouldn't get all that many but what he would do is assist the team pass rush by helping close the pocket and freeing up other players, especially Linebackers.

I'm definitely warming up to Jordan Davis if we don't go WR which is what I'd like for the team to draft in the first round.

What would be his impact in this pass happy league, especially the AFC which is now boasting of so many star QBs.  When talking about Ngata and Suh we are talking of a different era of football.  

Teams have taken advantage of Davis's lack of conditioning by running no-huddle and keepong him on the field for passing downs.

Davis had a freaky combine run but not sure if he is going to be that star in the NFL.  Time will tell,

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

What would be his impact in this pass happy league, especially the AFC which is now boasting of so many star QBs.  When talking about Ngata and Suh we are talking of a different era of football.  

Teams have taken advantage of Davis's lack of conditioning by running no-huddle and keepong him on the field for passing downs.

Davis had a freaky combine run but not sure if he is going to be that star in the NFL.  Time will tell,

I think his ability to get to the QB is underrated, look at all the big games against top competition he had and he was constantly getting after the QB.

With that said, I think we are all set at DT and I wouldn’t want to use any of our premium picks on that position.

11 hours ago, Magox said:

I think his ability to get to the QB is underrated, look at all the big games against top competition he had and he was constantly getting after the QB.

With that said, I think we are all set at DT and I wouldn’t want to use any of our premium picks on that position.

We brought in all those vet DL

I would be shocked if we used a high pick on a defensive linemen

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.