If Henry Doesn't have the Good Sense

I think TD should simply wait for the last possible moment before he owes that assclown any significant money and then release his sorry ass onto a market where team rosters are set and it is too late for him to sign any kind of a decent contract. Sure, some team may sign him to the vet min, where he won't get much playing time and by the time next off-season rolls around, he won't get jack from anyone.

This of course assumes that some team isn't desperate enough to trade for him during the preseason after losing a key back to injury. Of course in that case I am all for getting something for him, but if it's anything less than a third rounder for next year, I say hold onto him and dump his sorry ass.

Anyone who can't see that he is pssing his own value away by not showing up and practicing with his team and honoring his contract until a deal can be worked out ain't worth a pile of dirty jock straps anyway.

Besides, TD likes to have about $1 Million in cap space when he goes into the season anyway. Who knows, maybe we could use that space to help finance an extension for a key player in a contract year or one year short of one.

I think TD should simply wait for the last possible moment before he owes that assclown any significant money and then release his sorry ass onto a market where team rosters are set and it is too late for him to sign any kind of a decent contract.  Sure, some team may sign him to the vet min, where he won't get much playing time and by the time next off-season rolls around, he won't get jack from anyone.

This of course assumes that some team isn't desperate enough to trade for him during the preseason after losing a key back to injury.  Of course in that case I am all for getting something for him, but if it's anything less than a third rounder for next year, I say hold onto him and dump his sorry ass.

Anyone who can't see that he is pssing his own value away by not showing up and practicing with his team and honoring his contract until a deal can be worked out ain't worth a pile of dirty jock straps anyway. 

Besides, TD likes to have about $1 Million in cap space when he goes into the season anyway.  Who knows, maybe we could use that space to help finance an extension for a key player in a contract year or one year short of one.

328305[/snapback]

Now, why would you post a topic about the Buffalo Bills on a TV forum..oh wait this is a Bills forum?...sorry :blink:

For 4,783,699th time, TD will not cut TH. The Bills could play the Stinkin' Fish in a snow storm in Miami before that happens.

328319[/snapback]

I do not agree.

What good is having a guy on your roster who is not prepared to play when the season starts, who will pout like a littlebitch in the locker room, and who will walk after the year is over anyway? Why would you pay $1.25 Million for that? Sorry if you've explained this 4,783,698 times before, but apparently there is one dumbass on this board you have yet to edify in this matter. :)

Besides, I said that was what I would do if I were TD. If you read closely, it is not a prediction. :blink:

I wish that Travis Henry could have gone to mini-camp and come up with a sports cliche quote. Maybe something like this...

"Yeah, I really wish a trade could have worked so that I can have the opportunity to reach my full potential. For now, though, I am going to keep on doing my job and help out my teammates as much as possible. We have a great coaching staff here and even if I am traded tomorrow, I will benefit from any additional instruction I can get from them."

I wish that Travis Henry could have gone to mini-camp and come up with a sports cliche quote. Maybe something like this...

"Yeah, I really wish a trade could have worked so that I can have the opportunity to reach my full potential. For now, though, I am going to keep on doing my job and help out my teammates as much as possible. We have a great coaching staff here and even if I am traded tomorrow, I will benefit from any additional instruction I can get from them."

328360[/snapback]

If the guy had any sense at all, that is EXACTLY what he would have done. If I am his agent, I am desperately trying to get him to realize this. Some teams are willing to put up with this crap from a TO, not from a TH.

328360[/snapback]

Now THAT would be somebody I respect!

I do not agree.

What good is having a guy on your roster who is not prepared to play when the season starts, who will pout like a littlebitch in the locker room, and who will walk after the year is over anyway?  Why would you pay $1.25 Million for that?  Sorry if you've explained this 4,783,698 times before, but apparently there is one dumbass on this board you have yet to edify in this matter.  :)

Besides, I said that was what I would do if I were TD.  If you read closely, it is not a prediction.  :blink:

328328[/snapback]

I know that I would not cut him when and how as you suggest because I don't think it serves the Bill's interests to do things that way.

The thing which serves the Bills interests will be to trade Henry for value, and if no offer of value for Henry comes, the action which serves Bills interests from what I see would be to as nicely and forcefully as we can do it, urge Henry to fulfill his contract.

It will be an employee and team management pain to do, but doing difficult things is there job and the reason why they make the big bucks and have our love as fans. It seems to me that Henry will have no real choices but to play as hard as he can as our #2 RB IF he wants to score a big contract when he hits the FA market.

He certainly has the ability as an American to throw a hissy fit and sit out or to not play hard at all. However, to not play hard and perform will so undercut his ability to get a big contract that he would not serve his monetary interests to do this.

As best as I can tell Travis is stupid (bad money management, getting fooled or allowing himself to be fooled or appear to be fooled by a minor and having sex with her, signing a sweetheart deal with the Bills for upfront cash). but as stupid as he is, he has a clear sense and desire of his monetary interests.

TG seems to be handling this just the right way and is not falling into the sucker-deal you describe. Henry would like nothing better to be released by the Bills preferably for him before the draft or now, but anytime before the season begins would be fine from his perspective.

He would have to sign for the minimum with any team which has spent right up to the edge in their cap room. However, if all hehas to choose from are those teams with additional cap room tjos year to give him the $1.25 million to keep him whole and negotiate a long-term deal after June 1st where the pro-rated bonus will not be assigned to this year at all, I'd take that deal if I were him in a Missisippi minute.

If one wants to serve Henry's interests and reward him for his outlandish behavior then by all means cut him so he can play elsewhere this season. If you instead are interested in helping the Bills win, trade him for value and if value isn't there then the key is to stand up to him and force him to observe his contract.

Choosing to be a cancer would be such a bad deal for him in terms of making the big bucks, i don't see him doing it. If he is so foolish as to attempt to sit out. its fine from the Bills perspective since he will not be a issue to manage in the locker room and we retain his rights. If he were so foolish as to attempt to play 6 to accrue FA status, this obvious ploy would undermine his ability to get the big contract he wants as the Bills badmouth him for being a bad employee and fellow players badmouth him for being a bad teammate and not watching their backs (something Corey Dillon was not accused of by his teammates) I simply do not see it happening unless TH decides to become a Wickey Williams without the bucks Wickey got from the two big contracts he signed.

I just don't see why you want to do Henry such a big favor.

328360[/snapback]

That only happens if money isn't on the line. Welcome to the wonderful world of pro sports! :blink:

Nonsense.

Why should Travis come and play when he has made it clear that he won't play for the Bills again? He obviously feels slighted by the team (whether justified or not) and it would be retarded for him to come back and play during minicamp. Look what happened to our 3rd round pick -- why on earth would Travis show up and play for a team he knows he wont be with in the end?

In fact, I think it's less of a distraction to the team not having Travis around because he clearly wouldn't be happy if he was. I think you're being a tad unrealistic. He did have a few decent years here and deserves the right to be traded somewhere he can start.

I think TD should simply wait for the last possible moment before he owes that assclown any significant money and then release his sorry ass onto a market where team rosters are set and it is too late for him to sign any kind of a decent contract.  Sure, some team may sign him to the vet min, where he won't get much playing time and by the time next off-season rolls around, he won't get jack from anyone.

This of course assumes that some team isn't desperate enough to trade for him during the preseason after losing a key back to injury.  Of course in that case I am all for getting something for him, but if it's anything less than a third rounder for next year, I say hold onto him and dump his sorry ass.

Besides, TD likes to have about $1 Million in cap space when he goes into the season anyway.  Who knows, maybe we could use that space to help finance an extension for a key player in a contract year or one year short of one.

328305[/snapback]

Nope, I agreed with the general theme and left it alone.  See what a good boy I am.  :blink:

328588[/snapback]

ahh, but the true test was to ignore my post.

instigation 101, my fellow bills fan. :)

I do not agree.

What good is having a guy on your roster who is not prepared to play when the season starts

328328[/snapback]

The answer is very fundamental- a 2 down RB is perhaps the single easiet player to plug in to a functioning offense (2 Down RB Directions: SEE HOLE-RUN). Travis would have the benefit of being exposed to nomenclature of this offense all last season. Even with his Fisher-Price brain he's a GREAT fit at backup RB in Buff this coming season.

Agreed. I would rather keep Travis Henry and have a solid insurance policy rather than give him up for a low draft pick. I'm sure there's a way Mularkey can involve him in such a way that he is an integral part of the team and can showcase his skills to potential free agent suitors in 2006.

He's a solid athlete, breaks tackles and can spell McGahee for rest and in case of injury.

The answer is very fundamental- a 2 down RB is perhaps the single easiet player to plug in to a functioning offense  (2 Down RB Directions: SEE HOLE-RUN). Travis would have the benefit of being exposed to nomenclature of this offense all last season. Even with his Fisher-Price brain he's a GREAT fit at backup RB in Buff this coming season.

328666[/snapback]

The answer is very fundamental- a 2 down RB is perhaps the single easiet player to plug in to a functioning offense  (2 Down RB Directions: SEE HOLE-RUN). Travis would have the benefit of being exposed to nomenclature of this offense all last season. Even with his Fisher-Price brain he's a GREAT fit at backup RB in Buff this coming season.

328666[/snapback]

Who do you think should be the third down running back? By calling Travis a two down RB, you're suggesting (something that I agree with) that he's not going to be a productive option as a third down back because his skills don't suit that.

Williams and Burns have not shown the receiving productivity at this level to be third down backs, although that's no reason to write them off. Can either one of them do this? Is there another answer out there in free agency?

There is some risk at giving McGahee the workload that they did last season, even though he is the team's best running back option on every down. Do you spot Henry in on 1st and 2nd down to mitigate this? Can Henry be effective in this role? Can Henry adapt adequately to having Losman back there in terms of blocking and valve routes? I'm guessing that will eventually be the first solution attempted if Henry is still with the team.

Henry's cap number is certainly palatable if he's starting, but as a pure backup who does not play specials, he'll be overpaid, and it's very unlikely he'll be around after 2005.