Something Happened Yesterday...

After 10 1/2 years of being an attorney, I finally won a jury trial yesterday.

It was a simple possession of heroin case that the state would not plea bargain.

This guy didn't have the heroin on him when he was arrested, and I got two different police officers to admit that on cross-examination.

The jury was out for an hour and ten minutes before coming back with the Not Guilty verdict.

I've won bench trials before, and been successful in Social Security disability and Workers' Comp hearings, but this is my first jury trial victory.

Just wanted to let you all know...it's especially refreshing, since I'm only 48 days post-abdominal surgery. And several trips to the doctor after that.

Mike

It was a simple possession of heroin case that the state would not plea bargain.

This guy didn't have the heroin on him when he was arrested, and I got two different police officers to admit that on cross-examination.

The jury was out for an hour and ten minutes before coming back with the Not Guilty verdict.

I've won bench trials before, and been successful in Social Security disability and Workers' Comp hearings, but this is my first jury trial victory.

Just wanted to let you all know...it's especially refreshing, since I'm only 48 days post-abdominal surgery.  And several trips to the doctor after that.

Mike

327990[/snapback]

Nice job Murph. ;)

John Grishim will be writing a book about you soon 0:):doh:

Just wanted to let you all know...it's especially refreshing, since I'm only 48 days post-abdominal surgery.  And several trips to the doctor after that.

Mike

327990[/snapback]

Way to go Iron Belly! :doh:

This was only my third jury trial.

This was also an assigned client from the county. I will be getting $400.00. Not very much, but just doing the trial (which was a day and a half) was worth it.

I think he's an addict, but I don't think my client was guilty under the law.

Mike

Congratulations.  I usually don't get good facts like that in my cases.

328003[/snapback]

Me either. Usually.

This one was different. I had to try it.

Mike

Mike

327990[/snapback]

Nice job!!

Nice going, but winning 33% of your jury trials doesn't sound so bad.  You made it sound like you've lost scores of jury trials over the last 10-1/2 years.

328192[/snapback]

Scores of bench trials and other hearings, yes.

:blink:

Mike