Making Nothing Out of Something Bad

hondo in seattle

21 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I would argue it was a good both times. Stopping the clock in both situations was important 

It turned out  good but In the Texans game Josh got lucky because Knox wasn't familiar with Allen and was surpassed by the lateral and Allen got luck that know swatted the ball out of bounds.  This last game Knox was ready.

15 hours ago, finn said:

What virtually every commentator on Allen misses is how bad his offensive line is. THAT element should be factored into any quarterback rating system. Has any line given up more pressures than the 2021 Bills line? Ford by himself was giving up nearly a dozen a game for awhile, which the best linemen give up across a whole season. 

Anyway, yes, the QB rating systems are foolish, at least the way they're interpreted, as the final judgment. They should be just one factor, or they should factor in pressures, drops and running back production. Remember Thurman kept being called "the best all-around back"? Allen is the best all-around QB.

I don’t know…the offensive line has been pretty damn good for three games in a row now…I can’t even remember the last time Josh was sacked…

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I don’t know…the offensive line has been pretty damn good for three games in a row now…I can’t even remember the last time Josh was sacked…

Yup...we are healthy and the line playing well at the perfect time of the season. The stars look to be aligning beautifully.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:01 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Using a perfectly executed swim move, the defender evades the offensive lineman and comes charging like a mad bull straight toward Josh Allen.

Josh deftly sidesteps his opponent but soon two more defenders come steaking toward him.  As he runs toward the sideline, he attempts an impossible throw which is caught - but out of bounds.

Passer rating will count this as an incomplete, as will QBR.  Yet, I count it as a positive 9 yard play for Allen because a lesser QB would have been sacked for a 9 yard loss.  

The next play, Allen avoids a fierce rush again, breaks two tackles while scrambling for his life before being brought down for a 1 yard gain.

I would count that as a positive 10 yard play for Allen.  Passer rating won't take this play into account at all.  And QBR won't give him much credit for a mere 1 yard gain.

Right now, Passer Rating has Allen as the 16th best QB in the league.  By QBR, which includes running, Allen's 6th.  But neither system truly captures Allen's contribution to the Bills.   

If Allen is flushed out of the pocket 10 times and completes 5 of 10 passes for 50 yards while scrambling, both his passer rating and QBR will be hurt.  Yet he miraculously avoided 10 sacks and even got us some positive yardage on broken plays.  He ought to get credit, not have his rating go down.  

Making nothing out of something bad is a praiseworthy skill.  Allen does it better than anybody.  And often he transforms something bad into something good.

Who cares about passer ratings etc all I care about is did we win or lose.  Not whether my fantasy player did good enough for me in the fantasy game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.