(ot)Derby Fever

Okay guys, its Derby week. I know in our house one of the bigger parties we have all year. Have about 25 people coming over for an oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab legs. Of course, there will be plenty of beers and mint juleps, disgusting drinks that they are.

For all of you horse racing fans, be sure to read Beyer this week in the Post. Yesterday had a great article of what history shows a horse must do before he is ready to win the Derby.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5032901034.html

Also, here is a great article by Bill Gildea, one of the best feature sport writers in America, on Derby Week. Dam, Smarty gots a great deal, knowing he will be getting with 111 mares every year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5050301753.html

Heres my picks, pre post position draw which is today

1) Ballamy Road Looks to be only real tactical speed in the race, will be just off the pace first half mile, take command at the the top of the stretch,wins easily by 8 lengths

2) Afllet Alex As Beyer said, best preparation, will be coming late.

3) Sun King Another horse with the proper prepartation and a strong finishing kick.

My bets as of now.

$200 to win on Bellamy Rd

$50 exacta wheel Bellamy RD over Afleet Alex/ Sun King

Maybe some form of tris and supers, but not sure on those till i see the post positions.

BTW, bet only as much as you can afford to win on Bellamy Road

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't Bellamy Road be the favorite???

This race is a killler for Favorites....

327805[/snapback]

He will be. I am assuming he goes off at no better than 4 -to-5. Still, this horse visually looks like a lock not only for the Derby, but for the triple crown. I watch a lot of horse racing, and have been a fan since 79(first time the old man took me to the Fort), and this horse looks unbelievable.

I know it is sacreligios, but at the end of June we may be making comparisons to Secretariat. Now, he only has had a couple of races, but that is why he will not be 1-to-5, which he will be in the Preakness. Jump on him now if you want anything close to even money.

Course, there is a reson i still work and do not make a living at the ponies!!!!!

Also, here is a great article by Bill Gildea, one of the best feature sport writers in America, on Derby Week. Dam, Smarty gots a great deal, knowing he will be getting with 111 mares every year.

327796[/snapback]

Somehow I doubt Smarty really cares, seeing has he has no nutzz.

:doh:

327814[/snapback]

???? Maybe your thinking of Funny Cide.His piss poor attitude cost him a lifetime in the breeding shed.

Smarty getting busy with 111 mares this year and every year for the foreseeable future

327814[/snapback]

Not true. You're thinking of Funny Cide. As far as anyone knows, Smarty's boys can swim.

Okay guys, its Derby week. I know in our house one of the bigger parties we have all year.  Have about 25 people coming over for an oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab legs. Of course, there will be plenty of beers and mint juleps, disgusting drinks  that they are.

For all of you horse racing fans, be sure to read Beyer this week in the Post. Yesterday had a great article of what history shows a horse must do before he is ready to win the Derby.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5032901034.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5050301753.html

Heres my picks, pre post position draw which is today

1) Ballamy Road  Looks to be only real tactical  speed in the race, will be just off  the pace first half mile, take command at the the top of the stretch,wins easily by 8 lengths

2) Afllet Alex  As Beyer said, best preparation, will be coming late.

3) Sun King Another horse with the proper prepartation and a strong finishing kick.

My bets as of now.

$200 to win on Bellamy Rd

$50 exacta wheel Bellamy RD over Afleet Alex/ Sun King

Maybe some form of tris and  supers, but not sure on those till i see the post positions.

BTW, bet only as much as you can afford to win on Bellamy Road

327796[/snapback]

I'm a big fan of the ponies myself. I enjoy reading Beyers columns. He is one of the most prominent handicappers in the world. He is a Harvard graduate who developed the speed figure concept now one of the most prevelant handicapping angles in the game.

I have been struggling to come up with a way to beat the likely favorite Bellamy Road. The only knock on him I can come up with is he had not had 3 preps this year. His Wood Memeorial victory was one of the most impressive I have even seen. He won by 171/2 lengths, set a stakes record, and tied the track record set by Riva Ridge. Hes Beyer Speed figure of 120 puts him in a class of elite horses like Ghostzapper. If he runs anything close to the Wood he should win the Derby.

I will be using Sun King, Noble Causeway and Afleet Alex in tris and exactas.

He will be. I am assuming he goes off at no better than 4 -to-5. Still, this horse visually looks like a lock not only for the Derby, but for the triple crown. I watch a lot of horse racing, and have been a fan since 79(first time the old man took me to the Fort), and this horse looks unbelievable.

I know it is sacreligios, but at the end of June we may be making comparisons to Secretariat. Now, he only has had a couple of races, but that is why he will not be 1-to-5, which he will be in the Preakness. Jump on him now if you want anything close to even money.

Course, there is a reson i still work and do not make a living at the ponies!!!!!

327811[/snapback]

should we go ahead and make plans for www.bellamyroadwinsthetriplecrown.com ? 0:):doh:

you didnt mention that Bellamy road is owned by george steinbrenner...now i am officially rooting against him...

328010[/snapback]

Course if he wins the Triple Crown he'll match the Yankees for wins this season. That could be a fun discussion.

Okay guys, its Derby week. I know in our house one of the bigger parties we have all year.  Have about 25 people coming over for an oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab legs. Of course, there will be plenty of beers and mint juleps, disgusting drinks  that they are.

327796[/snapback]

what time do you need me to show up

327811[/snapback]

I think you'll do quite well with Bellamy Road if you think he will be 4-5. I am predicting he will go off at 7-2 or so. There are too many other legitimate horses running. It's a whole new ballgame when there is competition up front for the lead, and waves of horses come at you. He didn't face that test in the Wood, although he should be a deserving favorite off that race.

I'm using Noble Causeway and High Fly. They both ran at Gulfstream all winter. The one thing most of these other horses have in common, Bellamy Road, Bandini, Silver Coin....is that they ran their huge race after shipping from Gulfstream. Noble Causeway needs to improve, but he is built like a freight train and should love the distance. High Fly is a consistant horse with tactical speed.

My guess on odds:

Bellamy Road 7-2

Afleet Alex 5-1

High Fly 6-1

Bandini 6-1

High Limit 10-1

Noble Causeway 12-1

Coin Silver 12-1

Greely's Galaxy 15-1

Sun King 15-1

Wilko 20-1

All the rest should be also rans.