Pretty Cool Stat

wagne591

I know I have heard the guys talk about it in the morning show on WGR 550 but I wanted to see.  For the four teams that played in the Conference Championships the year prior (ex BUF, KC, TB, GB) before this year the teams never won their divisions the next year like in 2021 (example in the championship games from 2019 GB, 49ers, TENN, CHIEFS the next year 2020 standing 49ers finished last in their division) in modern time. Keep in mind the four divisions started in 2002 so before then it would have been harder.   The last time all four teams that played in the conference championship game the year prior and all made the playoffs the next year was the 1996 season.  In the conference championship game in 1995 it was DAL, GB, PITT, and INDY.  All teams made the playoffs in 1996 but INDY finished 3rd in the AFC EAST. I only went to 1990 for these because in the 90's and before 2002 it was really hard to win division the next year. 

1 hour ago, wagne591 said:

I know I have heard the guys talk about it in the morning show on WGR 550 but I wanted to see.  For the four teams that played in the Conference Championships the year prior (ex BUF, KC, TB, GB) before this year the teams never won their divisions the next year like in 2021 (example in the championship games from 2019 GB, 49ers, TENN, CHIEFS the next year 2020 standing 49ers finished last in their division) in modern time. Keep in mind the four divisions started in 2002 so before then it would have been harder.   The last time all four teams that played in the conference championship game the year prior and all made the playoffs the next year was the 1996 season.  In the conference championship game in 1995 it was DAL, GB, PITT, and INDY.  All teams made the playoffs in 1996 but INDY finished 3rd in the AFC EAST. I only went to 1990 for these because in the 90's and before 2002 it was really hard to win division the next year. 

Agreed..it is tough to repeat as division champs...except if you were the Patriots...I think they won 11 consecutive AFC East division crown with Brady.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.