NFL POWER RANKING BEYOND THE CHAMPS

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8441273

1 New England Patriots 1

The champs have actually improved in the offseason, adding key veterans like David Terrell and Duane Starks. Taking them down won't be easy.

2 Indianapolis Colts 2

We know the offense will be good, and adding Marlin Jackson in the first round will help upgrade the defense.

3 Philadelphia Eagles 3

A deep, talented team again looks like it will be the class of the NFC. Are there any challengers?

4 Baltimore Ravens 5

This is a team we're really high on this year. If Kyle Boller can develop, watch out. The feeling here is he will.

5 Pittsburgh Steelers 4

They will push for the AFC title again, and the key to getting to the Super Bowl will be the improvement of Ben Roethlisberger.

6 Atlanta Falcons 6

Will Michael Vick improve his passing? If he does, they can unseat the Eagles.

7 Jacksonville Jaguars 10

They were a trendy team to watch last year, but this year they are a legit playoff team. They do need to keep Fred Taylor healthy.

8 San Diego Chargers 7

Was 2004 a fluke? Not likely. But they will be hard-pressed to have the same record in an improved division.

9 Denver Broncos 11

It's time for Jake Plummer to take this team to a playoff victory. If not, the heat gets hotter on The Teflon Coach.

10 Minnesota Vikings 16

They will miss Randy Moss, despite what they may say, but the improvement on defense may make up for that.

11 Carolina Panthers 15

They've made some nice moves in the offseason, but there is still some uncertainty as to who will be the feature back. That's not good for the style of ball their coach prefers.

12 New Orleans Saints 13

This is the year. It's time for this talented group to play as it did in the final four weeks last season.

13 Oakland Raiders 25

Can't wait to watch all the 38-35 games this team plays. Kerry Collins to Randy Moss will be explosive.

14 New York Jets 8

If Chad Pennington's shoulder is fine, they'll be competitive. If not, they'll be drafting in the top 10.

15 Buffalo Bills 14

The defense will be good again, but the team's fate rests with J.P. Losman. Is he this year's Roethlisberger?

16 Kansas City Chiefs 17

Once again the main question is the same: Have they done enough to help the defense?

17 Seattle Seahawks 9

I don't know why, but I have a feeling they will slide some this season. They'll be competitive, but slide just a bit.

18 Green Bay Packers 12

There are a lot of holes on defense, which might force Brett Favre to play like the old Favre. Is that possible?

19 St. Louis Rams 21

Will push the Seahawks and the Cardinals for the NFC West title. If they don't, there will be big changes next year.

20 Arizona Cardinals 27

This team starts here for now, but look for them to be higher as we move closer to the season. Watch out for this group.

21 Dallas Cowboys 26

Can Drew Bledsoe take the offense a notch up from a year ago? The defense will be better with the addition of more talent.

22 New York Giants 29

They will be better than a year ago, but they're still a year away from pushing the Eagles. Look out in 2006.

23 Cincinnati Bengals 19

They are this year's trendy pick. The offense will be fun to watch, but the defense has to make strides for this to be a playoff team.

24 Houston Texans 18

This is a huge year for this franchise in terms of making a playoff push. Have they done enough to do so?

25 Tennessee Titans 20

Coach Jeff Fisher will have this team playing hard and Steve McNair makes them a threat. But they've lost so much the past couple of years.

26 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23

Carnell Williams will enliven the running game, but the line is still suspect, and is Brian Griese the long-term answer at quarterback?

27 Detroit Lions 24

It's all on Joey Harrington. If he grows as a player, the Lions will be much improved. If Jeff Garcia is playing, they'll be out of it by November.

28 Washington Redskins 22

The staff doesn't believe in Patrick Ramsey, yet he will be the starter at quarterback. The offensive system is also outdated. The defense might have to carry this team again.

29 Chicago Bears 28

They better hope like heck that Rex Grossman is 100 percent healthy. If not, it's going to be a long year.

30 Miami Dolphins 30

Nick Saban will be a heck of a coach. It just won't show for two or three years.

31 Cleveland Browns 31

The last regime left behind a mess that will take time to clean up. But Phil Savage will make that happen.

32 San Francisco 49ers 32

Taking Alex Smith with the first pick was a step in the right direction. Mike Nolan will turn this team around. It will just take time.

Broncos at 9? Ravens at 4? Both look like reaches to me. Baltimore got a steal with their first pick, but until Boller shows something I don't see how you put them at 4. Broncos at 9 is a head scratcher for me.

Broncos at 9?  Ravens at 4?  Both look like reaches to me.  Baltimore got a steal with their first pick, but until Boller shows something I don't see how you put them at 4.  Broncos at 9 is a head scratcher for me.

327706[/snapback]

I think Buffalo is more of a reach at 15 than Baltimore is at 4.

As a fan I am pumped about the season and hope the Bills will do well and make the playoffs.

But as a realisit, with a first year starting QB (even if he turns into another Kelly eventually) who will certainly struggle, a total mess on the offensive line, and no TE...well, that doesn't sound like anything more than 6-10 to me.

The Bills should be further down the list.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8441273

1 New England Patriots 1

The champs have actually improved in the offseason, adding key veterans like David Terrell and Duane Starks. Taking them down won't be easy.

Prisco is a fool. Yeah, no losses at all, just the additions of all-pros like Terrell and Starks. Crennel, Weis, Patten, Brown, Law, and Phifer are all gone, and Bruschi will probably sit out the year, but they've only improved. :doh:

Prisco is a fool.  Yeah, no losses at all, just the additions of all-pros like Terrell and Starks.  Crennel, Weis, Patten, Brown, Law, and Phifer are all gone, and Bruschi will probably sit out the year, but they've only improved. :doh:

327734[/snapback]

I don't know about improved, but they are still the best team in the league...by far.

And they will be until someone proves otherwise.

I don't know about improved, but they are still the best team in the league...by far.

And they will be until someone proves otherwise.

They're not the best team "by far." They won the SB by 3 points, mostly because the Eagles as a team had a collective brain fart when trying to run a 2-minute drill. And they've suffered a LOT of losses, most notably from the coaching standpoint. Sure it's easy to say "well they're the champs until proven otherwise," but this miracle ride has got to end, and considering they failed to make the playoffs in 2002, I'd say that it's a good bet that they won't win the SB this year and that they'll be hard-pressed to duplicate their past success. No team has sustained the success this long in the non-salary cap era, outside of the Steelers, but they were able to keep their team wholly intact.

I think Buffalo is more of a reach at 15 than Baltimore is at 4.

As a fan I am pumped about the season and hope the Bills will do well and make the playoffs.

But as a realisit, with a first year starting QB (even if he turns into another Kelly eventually) who will certainly struggle, a total mess on the offensive line, and no TE...well, that doesn't sound like anything more than 6-10 to me.

The Bills should be further down the list.

327728[/snapback]

By that, do you mean to say the Bills aren't even in the bottom half of the entire leauge? Y ou believe the Bills will be drafting next year in the top 16 spots? You don't think the Bills are at least an 8-8 team in 2006?

I think you're quite mistaken.

By that, do you mean to say the Bills aren't even in the bottom half of the entire leauge? Y ou believe the Bills will be drafting next year in the top 16 spots? You don't think the Bills are at least an 8-8 team in 2006?

So do I. I think the defense may suffer a slight let-down, but I can still see them being a top-10 defense. I also see the ST's being as good, if not better. And the O-line should be improved and Willis should have his speed back, plus the addition of Parrish's speed in the slot, and I see the offense improving even though they have a 1st-time starter. Maybe not playoffs, but certainly not bottom half of the league.

Prisco is a fool.  Yeah, no losses at all, just the additions of all-pros like Terrell and Starks.  Crennel, Weis, Patten, Brown, Law, and Phifer are all gone, and Bruschi will probably sit out the year, but they've only improved. :doh:

327734[/snapback]

I agree...calling David Terrell a key vetran sold off any credbility his rankings might have had.

They're not the best team "by far."  They won the SB by 3 points, mostly because the Eagles as a team had a collective brain fart when trying to run a 2-minute drill.  And they've suffered a LOT of losses, most notably from the coaching standpoint.  Sure it's easy to say "well they're the champs until proven otherwise," but this miracle ride has got to end, and considering they failed to make the playoffs in 2002, I'd say that it's a good bet that they won't win the SB this year and that they'll be hard-pressed to duplicate their past success.  No team has sustained the success this long in the non-salary cap era, outside of the Steelers, but they were able to keep their team wholly intact.

327743[/snapback]

You can argue all you want, but last year there wasn't a team close to NE's level. Not one.

Sure, they lost their coordinators, but they still have a great D, the best QB in the league, and one of the best offensive schemes in the business. They get the most out of their players.

What players did they lose? Bruschi hurts...other than him they didn't lose anyone who isn't easily replaceable. Law? Brown? Andruzzi? Bah.

Who in the AFC East can/will beat the Pats? Certainly not the Bills or Dolphins (far too many question marks). Thats 4-0 in the AFC East for the Pats. The Jets will be better this year, but the most they will get is a split. Baring a major injury or two during the season, there is no doubt the Pats will win the AFC East again this year.

Who in the AFC can beat them in the playoffs? Maybe Indy...that's about it. But the only way they win is if they play the game in Indy.

Deny it all you want, but the Pats are going to be very good once again in 2005.

I may be very wrong, but I think BellyChick's ego has finally outgrown his ability. He really believes he can be the head coach and the offensive coordinator this year. I just have to believe that is going to really hurt them this year.

327752[/snapback]

The fan in me says the Bills have a good shot at going 10-6. But that is just the fan.

Looking at it from a realistic perspective, the Bills are staring down the barrel of a 6-10 season. They will regress this year. Most first year starting QBs make too many mistakes to make the playoffs. Big Ben is the exception, not the rule. People thinking JP will come in and be able to manage the games like Big Ben did are mistaken. Pittsburgh had a MUCH better team than the Bills do this year. That talent masked a lot of Big Ben's growing pains. JP won't have that luxury.

I don't know who can honestly say the Bills Offense is in better shape than it was last year. I think JP should start this year (I am not a Drew appologist at all), but there is a good shot he will make MORE mistakes than Drew did last year. Factor in the Bills have probably the worst LT situation in the entire NFL, and now you are throwing your franchise QB to the wolves in his first year.

Do you really think an OL of : Gandy/Anderson/Teague/CV/Williams is BETTER than last year? Gandy is a sive and Anderson can't pass block. AND there isn't a healthy TE on the roster (except Nuefeld).

The Defense will be fine and keep the games close. Expecting a repeat in special teams is a stretch, they will be good, but not as great as last year.

So, let's review: Worse offense than last year (and that offense wasn't that good to begin with). Good defense, good special teams, first year starter at QB.

That sounds an awful lot like a 6-10 season to me...at best.

Obvioulsy I am longing to be wrong, but this team has a ton of holes to fill come September 11.

I may be very wrong, but I think BellyChick's ego has finally outgrown his ability. He really believes he can be the head coach and the offensive coordinator this year. I just have to believe that is going to really hurt them this year.

328278[/snapback]

You may be right. I hope you are. But I don't see it happening. Put it this way, if BB is able to win another ring without Romeo or Charlie, that would cement his legacy as the best coach in the history of the league. Maybe that is what motivates him to see it through?

God, I hope I'm wrong.

You may be right. I hope you are. But I don't see it happening. Put it this way, if BB is able to win another ring without Romeo or Charlie, that would cement his legacy as the best coach in the history of the league. Maybe that is what motivates him to see it through?

God, I hope I'm wrong.

328284[/snapback]

That is precisely why he is doing it, and that is precisely why he will fail. He is too cocky now.

I'd say he isn't too far off. Losman is a big ? mark. We'll be more highly regarded once our offense proves itself. Personally, I think we are more on par with Jax and we are better than NO. We'll beat NO this year. I think the Raiders are ranked too high and Houston is too low. Then again, I don't get paid to think this crap over and I'm probably worng.