wonderlic scores...value?

'I had big goals, and then things went down for me,'' he said, ``but I couldn't sit there and feel sorry for myself. What it did was make me more humble and make me want to work hard. I look at every practice and every game as if it's my last. I felt like the first two games I didn't play to my potential. Some people feel sorry for themselves and keep going down the same path. You reap what you sow.''

call me crazy, but that doesn't sound like a stupid person.

'I had big goals, and then things went down for me,'' he said, ``but I couldn't sit there and feel sorry for myself. What it did was make me more humble and make me want to work hard. I look at every practice and every game as if it's my last. I felt like the first two games I didn't play to my potential. Some people feel sorry for themselves and keep going down the same path. You reap what you sow.''

326414[/snapback]

It's my understanding Wonderlic scores are not released. I always take a reported W-lic score with a grain of salt. With that said, there are any number of reasons an intelligent person might do poorly on the test. Maybe he knew he was going to be drafted in the first three rounds and didn't give a rat's-ass about the test. Maybe he made a nice pattern with the mutiple choice questions. After all, sometimes you don't reap what you sow.

Oh, per your request:

"You're crazy."

You're welcome.

Some people just dont well on standardized tests. He may have blown the test off, he could have a learning disability, who knows. All thats important now is that he performs on the field. I dont care how well he did on his SAT's, PSAT's, GRE's, MRE's?

Some people just dont well on standardized tests.  He may have blown the test off, he could have a learning disability, who knows.  All thats important now is that he performs on the field.  I dont care how well he did on his SAT's, PSAT's, GRE's, MRE's?

326550[/snapback]

I heard he got a 170 on his LSATs.

326414[/snapback]

I guarantee he said that all in 10 seconds or less.

He could be dyslexic for all we know. Or he doesn't know test taking strategies (because he has a bad agent). And IQ tests are culturally biased and not the only measure of intelligence. Whatever, if he can play, and carries himself well, I don't care if he's Karl Childers. That 9 wonderlic that Peters got last year didn't stop him from making key plays on ST's now, did it?

326414[/snapback]

Did you listen to his press conference? I don't think he said anything that was more than 2 syllables. Based on hearing him speak, I would say it is highly doubtful the above is a quote from him. My fiance listened to him as well and said he couldn't believe that guy graduated from a 4 year college. I'm not saying he's going to bust - I'm just saying if you listened to him speak - you wouldn't be trying to explain away his Wonderlic score. Everett sounded much more intelligent and that's not saying much. Duke blew both of them away and it wasn't like he sounded like Einstein just of above average intelligence. (Those were all the press conferences I listened to.)

Did you listen to his press conference?  I don't think he said anything that was more than 2 syllables.  Based on hearing him speak, I would say it is highly doubtful the above is a quote from him.  My fiance listened to him as well and said he couldn't believe that guy graduated from a 4 year college.  I'm not saying he's going to bust - I'm just saying if you listened to him speak - you wouldn't be trying to explain away his Wonderlic score.  Everett sounded much more intelligent and that's not saying much.  Duke blew both of them away and it wasn't like he sounded like Einstein just of above average intelligence.  (Those were all the press conferences I listened to.)

326621[/snapback]

It sounded like he was nervous and he just mumbles or something. I think it is unwise to judge someone's intelligence based on his public speaking skills. I have met some of the most brilliant people who struggle when they are forced to speak to a large audience or to someone who intimidates them.

326414[/snapback]

Do you know if he was drooling all over himself when he said this?

Long as he learns his plays, catches footballs and stays out of trouble his wonderlic test is meaningless. He's not the coach, he's a speed receiver.

The first time Parrish has to answer a trivia question (like who's the king of France) in order to score a TD, the Bills will be screwed. Until then, everything is fine.

It sounded like he was nervous and he just mumbles or something. I think it is unwise to judge someone's intelligence based on his public speaking skills. I have met some of the most brilliant people who struggle when they are forced to speak to a large audience or to someone who intimidates them.

326645[/snapback]

I actually can usually tell the difference between someone with poor speaking skills and someone who is not intelligent. But I don't understand this desire to prove that Parrish is intelligent. Tom Brady is dumb as a rock and it hasn't affected his success. You can be dumb and still understand football. I don't think Parrish's intelligence (or lack thereof) will have a significant effect on his success. But it seems a stretch to claim he's really a brilliant guy who just happens to be a poor public speaker and bad at standardized tests. (And I guess the fact that all Miami players score poorly on the Wonderlic is just a coincidence too).

But it seems a stretch to claim he's really a brilliant guy who just happens to be a poor public speaker and bad at standardized tests.  (And I guess the fact that all Miami players score poorly on the Wonderlic is just a coincidence too).

326710[/snapback]

and who, exactly, claimed that he's a brilliant guy? go back and read my post again.

and who, exactly, claimed that he's a brilliant guy?  go back and read my post again.

326760[/snapback]

I was responding to JohnnyB's post who referenced "brilliant" people. I actually don't really care if he is intelligent or not (or if Tom Brady is intelligent or not) so I'm not going to continue to argue about this. If you think Parrish is smart (or at least not stupid), that's fine. I happen to disagree but I guess we'll never know until they create an intelligence test that is not "standardized" (since we can't trust the results of SATs, Wonderlic, or IQ tests).

I actually can usually tell the difference between someone with poor speaking skills and someone who is not intelligent.  But I don't understand this desire to prove that Parrish is intelligent.  Tom Brady is dumb as a rock and it hasn't affected his success.  You can be dumb and still understand football.  I don't think Parrish's intelligence (or lack thereof) will have a significant effect on his success.  But it seems a stretch to claim he's really a brilliant guy who just happens to be a poor public speaker and bad at standardized tests.  (And I guess the fact that all Miami players score poorly on the Wonderlic is just a coincidence too).

326710[/snapback]

I think the Wonderlic is a rather dubious measure that is just another unproven predictor that scouts irrationally love. I don't think that standardized tests are evil (since I usually have been able to rely on stronger performance there to overcome poorer performance in the classroom) but the Wonderlic seems a rather unproven test of intelligence.

I don't think Roscoe is brilliant, but I think we too quickly judge someone's intelligence based on how well he speaks especially when a lot of how one speak comes from regional and cultural affectations. For example, there is this widely held prejudice in the NorthEast and West Coast that any one with a southern accent is stupid. We did not leave the accents=social class issue when we left mother England.

It's my understanding Wonderlic scores are not released.  I always take a reported W-lic score with a grain of salt.  With that said, there are any number of reasons an intelligent person might do poorly on the test.  Maybe he knew he was going to be drafted in the first three rounds and didn't give a rat's-ass about the test.  Maybe he made a nice pattern with the mutiple choice questions.  After all, sometimes you don't reap what you sow.

Oh, per your request:

"You're crazy."

You're welcome.

326434[/snapback]

Accccgggghhhhhhh, who left the screen door open?!

Welcome home my wayward friend :w00t:

I guarantee he said that all in 10 seconds or less.

326560[/snapback]

I agree, nothing against Roscoe - but i can promise that when he said that it didnt come out as smooth as when you read it. But really, who give a damn. He's a player, and he's saying the right things.

I don't put a lot of stock in any of the combine, other than the shuttles which at least show there abilities to cut, the 40 is stupid, so what if he runs a 4.3 forty, or a 4.5 forty, .2 seconds is not long, what is more important is how he runs his routes.

as I see it, Parrish knew he was going to play football, I don't care if he knows what 1+1 eguals, what I do care is can he run sharpe routes and can he catch it and take to the end zone. Unless there is a spelling bee added somewhere in Football I really don't see it being an issue.

what is funny is he said he was humble, name one Cane that is humble. they are good because they are cocky and have to prove it

I view the wonderlics every year & unless you're a QB or OL the Wonderlic test is basically meaningless. Plenty of WRs, RBs & CBs score around 10 and most have no problems if they have ability. Playing WR is more about understanding route running and getting separation than whether you can perform well on written tests, CB is basically the same as WR reversed. RBs either have vision & insticts or they don't. You can be a successful RB like Travis Henry by taking the ball & acting like a battering ram or you can be successful like Willis McGahee-who possesses great vision and running instincts. Of the 2, Willis also reads his blockers like few do. Travis henry scored a 9, Willis Mcgahee scored a 12.