JOSH REED

I am thinking that Josh Reed will get cut this year.

A) Roscoe getting drafted is not a vote of confidence

B) By the third year if he isn't clearly a starter, he is just cap casualty

C) Too many drops in regular season play

But still, I would like to see him make the team, I think

the ball catching thing got into his head. He has all the

talent and I would love to see him watch the ball into his

hands before he runs.

So, Does he get cut?

And should he get cut?

If Roscoe Parrish is really turning heads like they say he is, and that continues into training camp and the preseason and if aiken can step up, than I believe it's time to say Bye Bye to Mr. Biletnikoff Award Winner Josh Reed. Unlike others here I have no faith left in Josh Reed. If he proves me wrong great but I'm not about to hold my breath

It's impossible to say for sure (though easy to have an opinion on) whehter Reed will be an '05 Bill or not.

However, I think he will hang around this year and these are the reasons I think he is likely to be around:

1. He tends to look far more impressive in pre-season than he plays in the regular season and a few good exhibition games and being a workout guy who looks good in practice will likely keep him around. In both of his bad last two years he impressed folks in camp only to disappoint cause he got the droppsies year before last and he got hurt last year.

2. There is little savings from cutting him as his 2005 salary will only be $440K though his total cap hit will be over $800K. He will not draw a significantly larger paycheck than the NFL minimum payment to a rookie. The amortized pay of $400K he has already been paid will tend to keep him here if the choice is an even one in terms of prodcution because if cut the Reed money simply becomes deadspace that will not make for his selection over a much better player, but all things being equal looks worse on the balance sheet.

3. Reed clearly does not have the moxie and confidence to be a #2 WR, but his role will be that of a slot #3 and he already has demonstrated in his rookie year he can do that job. In fact, since the Moulds/Evans pairing look to be at least as imposing as the Moulds/Price pairing (Moulds is older but had a productive year last year and Evans seems Price equal in speed and productivity as a Bill) Reed will be able to feast on LBs and 4th or 5th DBs if both Moulds and Evans demand double teams.

I think the Bills will keep 6 WRs as they have done before with Fast Freddt Smith occupying the return guy slot that Antonio Brown held with Smith actually being more versatile than Brown cause he can actually play some receiver.

Parrish is also a return guy, but he is a rookie and Smith gives us room to let Clements focus totally on DB and possibly to feel comfortable with him walking if that is where FA takes him.

Imo, our Bills do not have the time nor cap space to waste on a non-talented player such as Josh Reed.

I am guessing, but imo, he is a classic example of a kid who didn't try hard enough. Posters here throughout the years have told of his partying exploits. I believe it.

As much as I am not thrilled by the Parrish draft pick, at least he has possibilities. Josh otoh has been here long enough and his tenure has been a failure.

Jmo, but I am hoping that the Bills cut him, and his pass dropping ways.

3. Reed clearly does not have the moxie and confidence to be a #2 WR, but his role will be that of a slot #3 and he already has demonstrated in his rookie year he can do that job.  In fact, since the Moulds/Evans pairing look to be at least as imposing as the Moulds/Price pairing (Moulds is older but had a productive year last year and Evans seems Price equal in speed and productivity as a Bill) Reed will be able to feast on LBs and 4th or 5th DBs if both Moulds and Evans demand double teams.

324652[/snapback]

I agree mostly, he can feast on the LBs if he hangs onto the ball.

I always thought that he was trying to run before he caught the

ball because he thought YAC was going to be his greatest asset

in the league. Somebody needs to let him know it is just reaching

the sticks that counts. Evans and Moulds should really open things

up for the slot reciever, TE, and RBs who can catch the ball.

I wonder if Willis has been working on catching the ball in the offseason.

Reed had a sceond straight bad year...not a good sign. But, if you go back and look at his performances, you'll see he made some of the toughest catches made by any receiver on the team (or in the league). I remain convinced his "drops" are mental. He didn't go from having GREAT hands to having bad hands.

He can still catch the ball. So why didn't he? Well, he hasn't been showing up to his counseling sessions with Dr. The Dean...but, I'll hazard a guess or several:

As Drew seemed to have no confidence in him, he rarely threw in his direction. Also, his strengths were not in snyc with Drew's style and/or the playcalling of the OC most of the seacon. IMO, Reed should be used across the middle and be involved in veryquick timing patterns. Because of these factors, and more, he had very few opportunities. I think he may have experienced every chance as a make-it-or-break-it situation.

If that was the case, he didn't respond to that pressure well (at least not in most situations). But great athletes in all sports have a tough time when they're trying to "get it all back with one swing". (This is particularly true for those in sports where swinging is not involved! :devil: )

If the Bills can find a way to get him involved early and often I believe he'll be a fine contributer to this team. (I'm all over the idea of trying him as a receiving/3rd-down back.) But, if the team has no conficence in him, or if the the team continues to employ very slow developing routes with the QB waiting for a receiver to be visually open before throwing, Reed will not be an asset here.

Either way, I think Parrish will contribute in the #3 slot this season. He'll be a game-breaker...if the game doesn't break him first.

Imo, our Bills do not have the time nor cap space to waste on a non-talented player such as Josh Reed.

I am guessing, but imo, he is a classic example of a kid who didn't try hard enough. Posters here throughout the years have told of his partying exploits. I believe it.

As much as I am not thrilled by the Parrish draft pick, at least he has possibilities. Josh otoh has been here long enough and his tenure has been a failure.

Jmo, but I am hoping that the Bills cut him, and his pass dropping ways.

324661[/snapback]

Yo Bill, what up?

One thing i forgot in my previous post in this thread, is Reed often comes across as being REALLY stupid, or REALLY stoned in interviews I've seen. While I disagree with you regarding Reed's talent, i have to admit something seems to be amiss upstairs.

As far as dropped passes go, Moulds dropped his fair share last year...but I don't want him gone...yet.

Yo Bill, what up?

One thing i forgot in my previous post in this thread, is Reed often comes across as being REALLY stupid, or REALLY stoned in interviews I've seen.  While I disagree with you regarding Reed's talent, i have to admit something seems to be amiss upstairs.

As far as dropped passes go, Moulds dropped his fair share last year...but I don't want him gone...yet.

324715[/snapback]

And I thought I'd been scarce around here lately.... what happened, they finally let you out? :devil:

And I thought I'd been scarce around here lately.... what happened, they finally let you out? :devil:

324716[/snapback]

Lo,

Nice avatar. I've been w/o a computer for a LONG time. I finally got it fixed and much of the hard drive has been recovered...I'm starting to go through old files.

I got it back up (hey, get your mind out of the gutter!) right before the draft. I was going to post earlier, but the stupidity level here seemed to be at an all-time high. Things seemed to have turned around a little the past few days...so I'm back.

How/where you been?

That is one interesting idea. I wonder if he could pass protect.

324710[/snapback]

Reed began his LSU career as a RB, maybe he could do some 3rd down back. I hope he shows something this year!

-------------------------------------

Here's some pre-draft blurb:

Positives: Outstanding route runner who punishes defenders that get in his way after the catch...Short strider with crisp moves off the line...Has excellent concentration and the ability to make acrobatic grabs...Superb leaper who likes to leave his feet...Can separate across the field and knows how to vary his speeds through routes...Very smooth reaching and snatching the ball away from the framework...Works the sidelines well and will come across the middle with toughness... Gains instant advantage with his explosive initial burst.

Negatives: More quick than fast…Vertical stretching of the defense is not in the cards here…Lack of height poses some problems vs. the taller defensive backs, but compensates with his leaping ability…Has shorter than ideal arms (29¾-inches).

REMINDS ME OF…ROD SMITH, Denver Broncos: This kid can cut on a dime and has the strength of a power halfback, resulting in him getting huge chunks of yardage after the catch.

I don't understand the love fest for the bust. Really. People here wanted to run Peerless out of town before the start of his third year but he turned that around rather quickly. Reed has not nor will he. It's time to cut our losses and move on.

I don't understand the love fest for the bust.  Really.  People here wanted to run Peerless out of town before the start of his third year but he turned that around rather quickly.  Reed has not nor will he.  It's time to cut our losses and move on.

324745[/snapback]

Quite frankly I don't understand it either. Reed's had enough time to prove himself and quite frankly he hasn't done squat. About this 3rd down back stuff we have a 3rd down back his name is shaud williams who did quite nicely last season. It's time to cut rope with Josh Reed. He was good in college, unfortunatly it's not working out in the pros. It's time for the Sam Aikens, the Johnathan Smith's the Roscoe Parrish's to get a shot now.

I am thinking that Josh Reed will get cut this year.

A) Roscoe getting drafted is not a vote of confidence

B) By the third year if he isn't clearly a starter, he is just cap casualty

C) Too many drops in regular season play

But still, I would like to see him make the team, I think

the ball catching thing got into his head. He has all the

talent and I would love to see him watch the ball into his

hands before he runs.

So, Does he get cut?

And should he get cut?

324591[/snapback]

Instead of predicting who will be Cut... I just hope one from Reed, Aiken, or F. Smith will step up and establish themselves as a Solid Possession-type WR..I figure what the the Bills want out of Reed, or any other Wide-Out they bring in after Moulds, Evans, and Parrish is consistancy...Catch the Ball, get what you can, don't freaking Fumble...I would imagine one of those 3 can fit that bill...

BTW...I think the Bills would LOVE to see Smith capture that 4th WR Roster Spot because of what he brings on ST's...And the ST's factor alone could hurt JR's chances of making this Team in 2005...

Guess we'll see soon enough... But it's tough to count Reed out...Three Seasons ago he was the best WR in College Football...And it's not like the Bills are asking Reed to be Hines Ward...If JR shows consistancy, and makes some Plays, he'll be back... :devil:

I certainly haven't seen anything from Reed in the past two years that makes me think he's particularly worthy of a slot on this team.

If you look at the depth chart, you've got three locks (Moulds, Evans, Parrish) plus one who will most likely be kept because of ST (Fast Freddie). So if the Bills keep 5 WRs it comes down to Reed vs. Aiken, neither of whom has done anything all that impressive. Aiken didn't drop passes left and right like Reed last year either, though.

So barring a real standout performance in camp/preseason, Reed has a good chance of being cut unless the team keeps 6 WRs, and even then someone younger may emerge and take that spot. A real shame too, I thought he was going to be a good one after his rookie year.

Question: What does Josh Reed do better than any other WR on our current staff?

Answer: Absolutely nothing.

Question: Has Josh Reed broken a single tackle for extra yardage, consistently(if at all) beat man to man coverage or solidified his place on the "All Hands" roster?

Answer: No.

Question: Has Josh Reed had a fair evaluation time.

Answer: Yes.

Question: What's he still doing on the roster?

Answer: Taking up space while impersonating a WR with good hands who can find the seams and break tackles with a RB's toughness. Someone please tell him to catch the rock first.