Does Josh Always Sneak to the Same Gap?

Paulus

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is not enough time in a sneak for Sweeney to make that block. As it was, Allen was already being hit by the time Sweeney makes the block on the LB.

It’s almost like you didn’t read my “and the TE can help push josh” and as opposed to the TE could make a block. 

I outlined him coming into the scrum to push the pile at the end, not be the lead blocker. In my scenario you get 3 bills vs 2 titans at the point of attack with josh coming behind and having some extra muscle to help ensure they fall forward

frankly they set up the 3 vs 2 to the right and that’s why people see a push there

Edited by NoSaint

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes very bizarre…. Maybe Allen was supposed to sneak to the left side of Dawkins and the slip ***** that from the start? Either way, I agree strange blocking design. 

its like the Titans knew where josh was going but our own line didn’t. Play didn’t stand a chance even if he didn’t slip. 

id love to see the screen shot of the DT stunt where mongo passed his guy inside to go pursue the DT coming over the top from off of Morse…. Problem was he was 5 ft deeper than Morse so he effectively passed the inside rusher straight into joshs lap essentially unblocked to go chase the guy behind him breaking outside in the stunt. I think the dude lightly brushed morses hip passing by him. 

Edited by NoSaint

39 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s almost like you didn’t read my “and the TE can help push josh” and as opposed to the TE could make a block. 

I outlined him coming into the scrum to push the pile at the end, not be the lead blocker. In my scenario you get 3 bills vs 2 titans at the point of attack with josh coming behind and having some extra muscle to help ensure they fall forward

frankly they set up the 3 vs 2 to the right and that’s why people see a push there

Oh, well that’s just ridiculous and makes no sense.

A well executed sneak has the QB going very low and ideally should be on the ground (with the first down or score) in about one second.

Perfect sneak:

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes very bizarre…. Maybe Allen was supposed to sneak to the left side of Dawkins and the slip ***** that from the start? Either way, I agree strange blocking design. 

That’s exactly what it was. Allen was supposed to go C gap but Dawkins got beat off the ball so badly that it made it impossible.

The blocking scheme was fine. If Dawkins made his block properly, and got off the ball faster than a geriatric AFL player, Allen may have even scored.

Edited by Einstein

Those overhead shots and the discussion of blocking are helpful.  I don't think the play was a QB sneak.

The left side of the OL blocking down doesn't make sense for a sneak. It's just jamming up the gaps, especially when its 3 defenders against two OL. Plus you are asking Dawkins to do an inside seal off of the DE when the DE is already lined up inside Dawkins.

Here's what I speculate happened.  The play is designed for Josh to go off tackle.  At the snap Josh is moving and looking left at the outside LB 58.  The LB is crashing into the off tackle hole. At that point Josh concludes he can't go off tackle and just pushes ahead into the line.

If a QB sneak had been the design the OL fires out & Josh imediately plunges into the left A gap. Josh wouldn't have hesitated nor been looking at 58 at the snap.

Anyway, it's onto the Bye week.

• Agree 1

If you are gonna sneak, shift two extra 300 lb linemen a foot behind the QB and everybody push forward

Don't stand up, hesitate and go sideways, if you're not going to just push forward for a foot then get outside with some options

I know the analytics say go for it there but my brain was saying tie the game. I didn't feel good about it at all. 

8 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Those overhead shots and the discussion of blocking are helpful.  I don't think the play was a QB sneak.

The left side of the OL blocking down doesn't make sense for a sneak. It's just jamming up the gaps, especially when its 3 defenders against two OL. Plus you are asking Dawkins to do an inside seal off of the DE when the DE is already lined up inside Dawkins.

Here's what I speculate happened.  The play is designed for Josh to go off tackle.  At the snap Josh is moving and looking left at the outside LB 58.  The LB is crashing into the off tackle hole. At that point Josh concludes he can't go off tackle and just pushes ahead into the line.

If a QB sneak had been the design the OL fires out & Josh imediately plunges into the left A gap. Josh wouldn't have hesitated nor been looking at 58 at the snap.

Anyway, it's onto the Bye week.

I’m not 100% sure the root cause (ie if he was originally going outside) but agree that there is more to the story of how the play broke down. It wasn’t simply a slip. I would’ve guessed the line expected him to go more centered/slightly right with a 3 v 2 created in the interior- which is where we did see some push. And not simply a matchup win but a schemed advantage.

Logistically the blocking assignments just don’t match his gap choice. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.