Does Josh Always Sneak to the Same Gap?

Paulus

On the overhead replay it looks like if he had gotten behind Williams, the RG, he would’ve picked it up easily. Titans had 2 defenders within an inch of each other on the left side. They knew what was coming and where it was going.

• Agree 2

I think it's a symptom of the larger issue, which is at certain times, usually crunch time, our O looks really predictable.  Everyone in the stadium knew exactly what was coming.  The O gameplan was uninspired.  Is Dogballs doing 12th dimensional chess to keep future opponents off balance?  Last year's O had a defined personality that we generally stuck with.  I don't feel that about this year's team.

The other issue of course is that the Bills got manhandled in the same way they themselves did to KC last week.  Game plan, personnel, officiating, none of that matters if you lose most of the physical battles.  You could tell early in the 3rd quarter that the Titans were feeding off the punishment they were dishing out and got stronger as the game went along, whereas the Bills started to get that 'run for the bus' look

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

On the overhead replay it looks like if he had gotten behind Williams, the RG, he would’ve picked it up easily. Titans had 2 defenders within an inch of each other on the left side. They knew what was coming and where it was going.

sweeney blocked no one as well. he missed the snap count or something. but yea, next time go right because they stacked across from mongo and schnowman. 

1 hour ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Did he actually “slip” or just tried to dive forward?

I think he knew it was doomed and tried to go as low as possible to both dive ahead and limit contact. But he was a sitting duck. His LT let him down there.

22 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

sweeney blocked no one as well. he missed the snap count or something. but yea, next time go right because they stacked across from mongo and schnowman. 

As I was alluding to in my post, it seemed nervous and disjointed. Maybe his cadence on the count was off. But you're right, it seemed like reaction time on the left side was extremely poor.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

Yes, at least this year.  He's been fairly successful, but in this case, it looks like the Titans had this one scouted out.  That plus the terrible block by Dawkins killed that play.  Dawkins has not been the Pro Bowl tackle I've been expecting this year at all.

Dawkins was made to look like Cody Ford on that play.  Blown up

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dawkins was made to look like Cody Ford on that play.  Blown up

Titans brought excellent inside pressure all night and it just didnt seem like we even tried to adjust for it.  OL looked like hot garbage, but even when they held their blocks, Josh sat back there like he was writing the Great American Novel, not a worry in the world.  Frustrating.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

id love to see it- I keep pounding the drum that it felt like the blocking didn’t match his plan of attack. Those plays are so successful because you can almost always create enough of a wall. You don’t even need great push - just don’t let a guy come clean or get pushed back drastic and the qb takes a foot gain every time.

I don't think the play was a designed QB sneak.  I think it may have been a designed off Lt tackle run.  Here's why I think that:

First, on a QB sneak the QB lunges ahead immediately.  Josh doesn't do that; he seems to dance to his left & then lunge.

Second, the left side of the line all block down.  That's bound to plug up the left A gap.

Third, at the snap Josh is looking at the outside LB 58.  On a QB sneak the QB immediately lunges into the line so that guy doesn't matter.

Lastly, Sweeney's block on 58 is much too late and as a result there's no running lane off the tackle.

It's true that Dawkins gets pushed back but if the play is designed to go outside of him he's done his job

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.