SOS - Got Roped Into a Fantasy League That Drafts In 5 Hours

ndirish1978

52 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Usually the top guy on the available players list is actually a solid pick.  Of all the bills I enjoy having the D the most. 

Well beyond Diggs and Allen yes. And kicker is usually and afterthought but I am all about Bass especially if you are in a league that gives bonus points for longer FGs.

12 hours ago, uninja said:

Alright, standard scoring means you'll want to prioritize RBs that get a heavy workload. Look for teams that have a dedicated RB or main back and don't do the committee thing (stay away from Bills RBs). Think Derrick Henry, Ezekiel Elliot, Nick Chubb, AJ Dillon, Jonathan Taylor, those types of players.

Standard scoring also puts a greater emphasis on WRs that get chunk yards, catch TDs and get a lot of volume, so shifty slot receivers or RBs that catch passes out of the backfield are less desirable. You want someone that gets yards and gets the ball thrown to a lot. 

Your RBs and WRs are gonna be your workhorses in your league and where (typically) most of your points will come from, so draft some consistent production guys early and try to take at least 1-2 RBs and 1-2 WRs before looking at other positions.

TE position is very boom/bust and quality thins out SIGNIFICANTLY once Kelce and Waller are off the board, although teams that play a lot of TEs in sets might give you a couple of sneaky good options beyond that. Prioritize WRs and RBs, if a top guy is there after that, grab him. Otherwise you can wait until the back end of the draft to grab a TE.

QB you can typically wait until later rounds 5-7 to grab one, although watch the action in the draft room. If a run starts on them earlier you might want to grab one earlier. Most guys in the upper tiers give you decently good floors, and if a QB has rushing skills and takes goal line carries that has surprising value in FF. Even bad teams with meh QBs can give you good production (Blake Bortles was a great fantasy QB because of garbage time).

Defense/Special Teams is very streaky, unless you have a team where you know their defense is just owning the ***** out of everything (see Patriots, 2019). Note that very few of these defenses exist so the good ones will come off the board quickly once people fill in the regular roster spots. My personal favorite strategy is to stream a different defense every week and just find the team in the league with a really putrid offense (prolly the Texans, Jags or Bears this year) and just play whatever defense is playing that team this week. It has worked very well for me but it requires management and foresight to rotate defenses out.

Kickers you can take at the back end of the draft after you've filled your main spots, your bench and just about everything else. Just look for someone consistent if you want to set it and forget it. I personally like to stream kickers or find teams that historically have kicked the most field goals and go from there.

I know the draft is over at this point, but did you really recommend that he draft the Green Bay backup RB as a workhorse?

3 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I know the draft is over at this point, but did you really recommend that he draft the Green Bay backup RB as a workhorse?

oof yikes. Had a massive brain fart there and blanked on Aaron Jones because AJ looked devastating late in the season and in the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.