Bernie Sanders

Irv

3 hours ago, Governor said:

Is this how you treat other retired people? Are you telling your 70 year dad that he’s lazy and hasn’t contributed enough to society? Lol.

Do you push little old ladies on the ground, kick them, and say “there’s still a few miles left on this labor unit”?

Your age is showing. My dad is 88 years old and worked and saved his entire life so as not be a drag on society. You on the other hand appear to have checked out early, with no investment in your future and then will be be standing there with your hands out asking the rest of us to ‘pay our fair share’ . Your fresh faced wife eyed financial independence will die quickly if you’re counting on me to fund your sloth. GET TO WORK!!

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Your age is showing. My dad is 88 years old and worked and saved his entire life so as not be a drag on society. You o the other hand appear to have checked out early, with no investment in your future and they’ll be standing there with your hands out asking the rest of us to ‘pay our fair share’ . Your fresh faced wife eyed financial independence will die quickly if you’re counting on me to find your sloth. GET TO WORK!!

What did he do? My dad came out of the navy for electronics, joined IBM, then became a contract writer before ending up as upper management. He was pushed into early retirement with a not so great retirement package in the early 90’s. I’m sure it’s pretty good, but not what he expected for 30 years of loyal service.

My dad actually wrote the huge contracts for the IBM PC. Some nerds might know about that story. My dad knew it was a mistake at the time also. The whole IBM/Bill Gates thing. I remember my dad coming home always bitching about the IBM PCs. They actually teach about that in every college “Intro to PCs” class now.

He would tell you you’re doing it wrong also.

Edited by Governor

28 minutes ago, Governor said:

What did he do? My dad came out of the navy for electronics, joined IBM, then became a contract writer before ending up as upper management. He was pushed into early retirement with a not so great retirement package in the early 90’s. I’m sure it’s pretty good, but not what he expected for 30 years of loyal service.

And this is again is the number one reason I'm conservative.  Never ever rely on anyone else for your success.   What, in your opinion, was he expecting?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And this is again is the number one reason I'm conservative.  Never ever rely on anyone else for your success.   What, in your opinion, was he expecting?  

He was expecting a better retirement package like everyone else that worked for huge corporations throughout the 70’s and 80’s. 

Were you not born here? It seems like we grew up in parallel universes but you claim to be the same age.

36 minutes ago, Governor said:

My dad actually wrote the huge contracts for the IBM PC. Some nerds might know about that story. My dad knew it was a mistake at the time also. The whole IBM/Bill Gates thing. I remember my dad coming home always bitching about the IBM PCs. They actually teach about that in every college “Intro to PCs” class now.

He would tell you you’re doing it wrong also.

You’ve clearly been tainted by your dad’s experience, and for that I’m sad, but my comments remain unaltered. Please don’t expect a handout from me because you CHOSE to check out early. May I suggest you re-read the children’s story about The Ant and The Grasshopper? It will serve you well. 

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

He was expecting a better retirement package like everyone else that worked for huge corporations throughout the 70’s and 80’s. 

Were you not born here? It seems like we grew up in parallel universes but you claim to be the same age.

Did your father ask what his retirement package was going to be?  On his last day did they present his package with SURPRISE??   

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Did your father ask what his retirement package was going to be?  On his last day did the present his package with SURPRISE??   

How far we’ve fallen as a country. It’s truly amazing that some of you have this mindset.

If I remember correctly, he was given the choice to risk it and stay or take a retirement package.

Now, if you’re my age, you should remember the ups and downs IBM and other companies had during that period.

Again, I feel like I’m talking to someone at least 5 years younger than me. We’re you still eating Play-doh during that era?

1 minute ago, Governor said:

How far we’ve fallen as a country. It’s truly amazing that some of you have this mindset.

If I remember correctly, he was given the choice to risk it and stay or take a retirement package.

Now, if you’re my age, you should remember the ups and downs IBM and other companies had during that period.

Again, I feel like I’m talking to someone at least 5 years younger than me. We’re you still eating Play-doh during that era?

And what mindset is that?  It is up to you to prepare for your retirement and no one else?  OMG it's horrible!! 

So it was his choice but it's somehow IBM's fault.  

You don't know what your father's actual retirement package was but was bitter with it.  Life sucks but again he had a role in his retirement plan too.  It's people like your father that keep me in business.  Thanks pops! 

Of course I remember the ups and downs of IBM.  

I have no idea how old you are.  

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ve clearly been tainted by your dad’s experience, and for that I’m sad, but my comments remain unaltered. Please don’t expect a handout from me because you CHOSE to check out early. May I suggest you re-read the children’s story about The Ant and The Grasshopper? It will serve you well. 

I’m out of ways to hint to you that I don’t ever have to work again. I’m trying to be modest here.

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And what mindset is that?  It is up to you to prepare for your retirement and no one else?  OMG it's horrible!! 

So it was his choice but it's somehow IBM's fault.  

You don't know what your father's actual retirement package was but was bitter with it.  Life sucks but again he had a role in his retirement plan too.  It's people like your father that keep me in business.  Thanks pops! 

Of course I remember the ups and downs of IBM.  

I have no idea how old you are.  

I think you’re flailing at this point.

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No I'm not.  You're carrying on your father's crankiness.  Not a good look.  

We both learned the lesson from my dad and found niche businesses and got out early and can enjoy the rest of our lives.

My personal situation doesn’t mean that I don’t want other people to have better lives. 

The greed and resentment from this board is horrifying.

We both learned the lesson from my dad and found niche businesses and got out early and can enjoy the rest of our lives.

My personal situation doesn’t mean that I don’t want other people to have better lives. 

The greed and resentment from this board is horrifying.

Greed and resentment?  Where are you getting that from?  I just think it's interesting when people think they have their plan all figured out when I've seen day in and day out that most don't have a clue.  

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Greed and resentment?  Where are you getting that from?  I just think it's interesting when people think they have their plan all figured out when I've seen day in and day out that most don't have a clue.  

Anyone younger than me doesn’t have a clue. That’s because loyalty to companies no longer matters. Millennials figured this out. That’s why you see people leaving jobs like it’s nothing. I applaud them for that. The problem is that they’re all broke.

That’s not at all how people lived in the 80’s. 

That’s why it’s so important to move to a blue state and learn a trade, join a union, teach, and get that pension.

Everyone else is eventually going to starve.

Edited by Governor

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

Anyone younger than me doesn’t have a clue. That’s because loyalty to companies no longer matters. Millennials figured this out. That’s why you see people leaving jobs like it’s nothing. I applaud them for that. The problem is that they’re all broke.

That’s not at all how people lived in the 80’s. 

That’s why it’s so important to move to a blue state and learn a trade, join a union, teach, and get that pension.

Everyone else is eventually going to starve.

That is absolutely how people lived in the 80's.  That's when it changed. The advent and popularity of the 401k/IRA made people realize they didn't need to rely on their employer for their retirement.   

Regarding the highlighted.  In your mind what do blue states have over red states when it comes to these?  And ***** pensions.  Create your own that will actually be adjusted for inflation.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

That is absolutely how people lived in the 80's.  That's when it changed. The advent and popularity of the 401k/IRA made people realize they didn't need to rely on their employer for their retirement.   

Regarding the highlighted.  In your mind what do blue states have over red states when it comes to these?  And ***** pensions.  Create your own that will actually be adjusted for inflation.  

Creating your own can be affected by the market and 10 years from now you could be the homeless guy on the corner of Nebraska and Bearss Avenue in Tampa walking up to my window telling me about the time you used to work on Wall St.

Creating your own can be affected by the market and 10 years from now you could be the homeless guy on the corner of Nebraska and Bearss Avenue in Tampa walking up to my window telling me about the time you used to work on Wall St.

Not having a clue as the affect of inflation on your retirement is worse.  There are all sorts of risks when it comes to planning and cash flow.  Efficient markets and inflation are always going to be there.  You can control the efficiency of your retirement in all market cycles.  Inflation?  Not so much. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not having a clue as the affect of inflation on your retirement is worse.  There are all sorts of risks when it comes to planning and cash flow.  Efficient markets and inflation are always going to be there.  You can control the efficiency of your retirement in all market cycles.  Inflation?  Not so much. 

I’m a Holdem player. You can’t lose what you don’t put into the pot. If I lose, I want it to be because I made a mistake, not a bunch of outside factors.

Inflation is just the rake increasing or decreasing.

I’m a Holdem player. You can’t lose what you don’t put into the pot. If I lose, I want it to be because I made a mistake, not a bunch of outside factors.

So you're in cash? 

What is the inflation rake increasing and decreasing? 

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

And we've not even got into the taxes aspect of all this. 

Edited by Chef Jim