Larry Coker on Canes drafted by Bills

Peter

" What University of Miami player will be a better pro than people expect? ' Kevin Everett,' Hurricanes coach Larry Coker said of Buffalo's third-round pick. 'He's tough, with great speed. He will be a dynamic pro.' . . . Roscoe Parrish has a good chance to replace Josh Reed as Buffalo's No. 3 receiver . . . ."

Miami Herald Article

Requires registration. How about a cut and paste ?

320859[/snapback]

That's the extent of the comments. It's one of those round-up type articles with a lot of bullet point quotes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some interesting reading from another Herald article on draft day:

"Roughly seven hours and 47 picks later, the Buffalo Bills made Parrish the second Hurricane selected, taking Parrish with the 55th overall pick in Round 2. Gore then went to the team he grew up rooting for when the San Francisco 49ers took him with the first pick of the third round.

''I was so excited when I heard the phone ring, I jumped up off that couch and started jumping up and down,'' said Gore, who spent the day at his two-bedroom Coconut Grove home with his mother, sister, brother and son.

``It felt like forever before they called my name. I saw a lot of guys who went ahead of me that I should have been picked ahead of. But that doesn't matter anymore, I'm going to prove to people what I can do.''

THE WAITING GAME

At his mother's home in Kendall, Parrish, who grew up just a few blocks from Gore in Coconut Grove, got nervous several times by phone calls -- many of which were by family members and friends who wanted to know if he had been taken yet.

With his mother Regina Conley by his side, Parrish began to get really nervous at the end of the first round when the Atlanta Falcons selected receiver Roddy White with the 27th overall pick. Agent Jason Rosenhaus warned Parrish he could end up being taken by San Diego at No. 28 or by Philadelphia with the 31st pick. Instead, the Chargers and Eagles both took defensive tackles.

An hour later, the drama picked up again when Parrish's cell phone rang and a mysterious voice from a number with an Arizona area code asked Parrish for his home phone number and told him to stay close to it. Rosenhaus figured it was the Cardinals, who were picking 44th overall.

The pick came and went and Parrish headed for the door, leaving his cell phone behind for Rosenhaus to tend to. An hour later, the Bills were on the phone.

''I didn't know who I was going to, but I felt good about the Bills,'' said Parrish, who celebrated with a throng of family members and friends in his living room. ``I talked to their receiver coach on the phone for about 30 minutes on Friday and he talked to me about coming in and playing the slot receiver and returning kicks for them. I'm ready right now.''

CANES REUNITED

Everett, at his home in Texas, was also taken by Buffalo. The Bills, who used both of their picks on the first day to take Hurricanes, selected him with the 86th pick.

''I've been in front of my TV since about 11 a.m.,'' Everett said. ``I was starting to get down a bit after the second round, but I had a good feeling the Bills were going to come through. It's going to be a real good deal to play with [Parrish] up there. I can't wait.''

Wow.  Great find.  Perhaps Arizona was holding out hope the Bills were going to cave last minute and agree to the Shelton for Henry deal.  Also would make sense as to why they are running to the media and crying about the Bills holding out for too much.

320912[/snapback]

I think both the Bills and Roscoe are better off now that things happened as they did on Saturday.

Wow.  Great find.  Perhaps Arizona was holding out hope the Bills were going to cave last minute and agree to the Shelton for Henry deal.  Also would make sense as to why they are running to the media and crying about the Bills holding out for too much.

320912[/snapback]

I think there was a really big game of chicken being played by TD and Denny Green right up to the 44th pick...it's probably why Green's post-draft crowing seems a little disingenuous.

At his mother's home in Kendall, Parrish, who grew up just a few blocks from Gore in Coconut Grove, got nervous several times by phone calls -- many of which were by family members and friends who wanted to know if he had been taken yet.

Apparently Parrish's family members also scored a 10 on the Wonderlic. Why the hell are you making the kid's phone ring on a day when all he is waiting for is his fuggin' phone to ring? Turn the TV on, you dolts.

Apparently Parrish's family members also scored a 10 on the Wonderlic. Why the hell are you making the kid's phone ring on a day when all he is waiting for is his fuggin' phone to ring? Turn the TV on, you dolts.

320938[/snapback]

i think those same family members have already called parrish asking for loans and free game tickets.

hop aboard the gravy train, everybody....roscoe's done made it big!!!

So it looks like the Bills ended up with who the Cards wanted at #44, they didn't get Henry, and are stuck with a $3m per year lineman nobody wants including them.  Yeah, I guess I'd be whining to the media too.

320932[/snapback]

Uh...if the cards wanted Parrish at #44, they had the opportunity to take him instead of Arrington. My guess is they might have been considering Parrish at the #55 pick, if the swap had gone down.

Uh...if the cards wanted Parrish at #44, they had the opportunity to take him instead of Arrington.  My guess is they might have been considering Parrish at the #55 pick, if the swap had gone down.

320980[/snapback]

I think the possibility exists that Green thought he could get Henry straight up for Shelton and thus could draft a WR instead.

I think the possibility exists that Green thought he could get Henry straight up for Shelton and thus could draft a WR instead.

320990[/snapback]

Even better thought. It must have really shook Denny when the Bills picked the exact same guy they would have selected, if the TH deal had gone down! :(;)

I think there was a really big game of chicken being played by TD and Denny Green right up to the 44th pick...it's probably why Green's post-draft crowing seems a little disingenuous.

320925[/snapback]

It looks like Donahoe lost this game of chicken!!

It sure would be nice to have Shelton AND Barnes at Left Tackle...

In other words TWO left tackles rather than none.

321241[/snapback]

Funny...I had the opposite thought.

Green's the one stuck with a $3 million per year guy who'll have to be cut, just 16 months after re-signing him to a lucrative contract extension.

To quote the Arizona Republic: "If Shelton leaves, the Cardinals will have paid heavily for his services. In November 2003, he signed a five-year extension that included a $2 million raise in 2003 and a $5 million signing bonus. If cut or traded, the team would absorb a salary-cap cost of about $3.34 million, the portion of Shelton's signing bonus not accounted for in previous years."

On the other hand, even in the worst case scenario (TD has to cut TH), it would only cost the Bills $100,000 in dead cap space.

320938[/snapback]

;) No sheet! I can bet you he warned everybody NOT to call him and occupy the line becuz he wouldn't know when an NFL would be calling him. :(

:lol:  No sheet!  I can bet you he warned everybody NOT to call him and occupy the line becuz he wouldn't know when an NFL would be calling him.    :doh:

321342[/snapback]

I think it's interesting his agent (Jason Rosenhaus, Drew's little bro') told Parrish he might be taken by San Diego at No. 28 or by Philadelphia with the 31st pick.

You wonder if that was a real possibility, or just agent-hype to get his client to sign with him...

It sure would be nice to have Shelton AND Barnes at Left Tackle...

In other words TWO left tackles rather than none.

Hardly. First of all, the Cards are stuck with, at best, a backup OL who is making $3M a year, and while he may see time because of injury, he's not a good player. OTOH the Bills still have Travis for just $1.25M, and backup RB's DO see a fair amount of playing time. And as for moving up to take Barnes, if the Bills were that hot for him, they could have moved-up WITHOUT trading Henry.

We'll see how everything shakes-out, but if Shelton gets cut and Arrington is a bust like I think he'll be, Arizona/Green will be looking as stupid as usual.

Hardly.  First of all, the Cards are stuck with, at best, a backup OL who is making $3M a year, and while he may see time because of injury, he's not a good player.  OTOH the Bills still have Travis for just $1.25M, and backup RB's DO see a fair amount of playing time.  And as for moving up to take Barnes, if the Bills were that hot for him, they could have moved-up WITHOUT trading Henry.

321381[/snapback]

Not only that, but if they got Shelton, why would they then draft Barnes? Unless they didn't want Shelton, and if that was the case, why would they have traded for him? :doh: