NYS Gets It Right Again

Taxing their way to prosperity, one budget at a time.

Remember when the Thruway was being built and the bill of goods we were sold was "it'll have a toll on it until it's paid for."  The beginning of the end.

319068[/snapback]

The St. Catherine Skyway bridge on the QEW had a toll booth to pay for its' construction - which was removed promptly when the bonds were paid off - sometimes it happens :o

The St. Catherine Skyway bridge on the QEW had a toll booth to pay for its' construction - which was removed promptly when the bonds were paid off - sometimes it happens  :o

319073[/snapback]

Same thing with the Southern State Pkwy here on Long Island.

The St. Catherine Skyway bridge on the QEW had a toll booth to pay for its' construction - which was removed promptly when the bonds were paid off - sometimes it happens  :o

319073[/snapback]

Same down here with the old I-44 toll.

Remember when the Thruway was being built and the bill of goods we were sold was "it'll have a toll on it until it's paid for."  The beginning of the end.

319068[/snapback]

It's those second mortgages that will kill you.

I heard rumors they want to change "The Empire State" to "The Bend Over State".

320497[/snapback]

You and I are old enough to remember this. NY was the most populous state. Then California passed NY. Then Texas passed NY. By the year 2011 Florida will pass NY.

So much for the message……….

:doh:

Its not like Kevin Costner saying " Tax them , and they will come"

Screw NY, is what most are saying. Oh, btw, I love NY, at least from Florida :lol:

You and I are old enough to remember this. NY was the most populous state. Then California passed NY. Then Texas passed NY. By the year 2011 Florida will pass NY.

So much for the message……….

:doh:

Its not like Kevin Costner saying " Tax them , and they will come"

Screw NY, is what most are saying. Oh, btw, I love NY, at least from Florida :lol:

321546[/snapback]

Not that it isn't taxes. Climate is a major player. Put NYS in the sunbelt and, IMO, even with the repressive taxes, NYS prospers.

Mix in technology. The advent of air-conditioning tipped the scale towards the sun-belt.

People hate the cold. Makes moving that much easier. Doing business that much easier.

Not that it isn't taxes.  Climate is a major player.  Put NYS in the sunbelt and, IMO, even with the repressive taxes, NYS prospers.

Mix in technology.  The advent of air-conditioning tipped the scale towards the sun-belt.

People hate the cold.  Makes moving that much easier.  Doing business that much easier.

321570[/snapback]

Step back and read what you just wrote, seriously. Thats funny EII. Your first three sentences, pretty much cover it. Except, for the NY prospers part.

And WTF does AC have to do with anything. :lol::doh:

Not that it isn't taxes.  Climate is a major player.  Put NYS in the sunbelt and, IMO, even with the repressive taxes, NYS prospers.

Mix in technology.  The advent of air-conditioning tipped the scale towards the sun-belt.

People hate the cold.  Makes moving that much easier.  Doing business that much easier.

321570[/snapback]

Which explains why places like Boise, Idaho, Minneapolis/St Paul, and Ogden/SLC are regularly ranked at the top of burgeoning economies, right?

Climate may have a VERY small part in the equation but that's it. Overregulation, excessive taxation, and overwhelming government are the real problems.

One of the things Buffett said when they were tossing Gray Davis on the pire was the overwhelming need to make California "business friendly" again because so many high tech industries have fled the state in search of easier environments in which to do business.

Which explains why places like Boise, Idaho, Minneapolis/St Paul, and Ogden/SLC are regularly ranked at the top of burgeoning economies, right?

Climate may have a VERY small part in the equation but that's it.  Overregulation, excessive taxation, and overwhelming government are the real problems.

One of the things Buffett said when they were tossing Gray Davis on the pire was the overwhelming need to make California "business friendly" again because so many high tech industries have fled the state in search of easier environments in which to do business.

321588[/snapback]

I hear you. More or less the overflow?

Could the huge social system in the "Rust-Belt" sustain itself? The weight of that system left in a void had to be tremendous? Who was willing to take the hit?

Modernization also factors into things.

What supports such a system when things begin to leave for easier environements? Is it easy to throttle back? It really is a "slippery slope."

I due time, other areas will suffer from the trappings of their success?

I hear you.  More or less the overflow?

Could the huge social system in the "Rust-Belt" sustain itself?  The weight of that system left in a void had to be tremendous?  Who was willing to take the hit?

What supports such a system when things begin to leave for easier environements?  Is it easy to throttle back?  It really is a "slippery slope."

I due time, other areas will suffer from the trappings of their success?

321630[/snapback]

I think there is some validity to that idea. Mostly because governments tend not to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors. We can see it by looking no further than zoning laws.

Someday the "cyclicness" of our society will lead to a rejuvination in WNY, though I doubt we'll be alive to see it.

I hear you.  More or less the overflow?

What over flow????

Could the huge social system in the "Rust-Belt" sustain itself?

No friggin way

The weight of that system left in a void had to be tremendous?
Thats why people are leaving

Who was willing to take the hit?

You are, the lovely Democrats

It'll never happen

What over flow????

No friggin way

Thats why people are leaving

You are, the lovely Democrats

It'll never happen

321644[/snapback]

1.)Boise, SLC, Minneapolis offer great natural areas. Truly against the norm of seeking fairer climates.

2.) No disputing that. Agree.

3.) They wouldn't be heading to repressive hot weather sites in the same numbers they are today if it weren't for modern technology.

4.) Actually, nobody is willing to "take the hit." That is the problem. Find someone that is willing to put the collective group ahead of feeding, supporting, and progressing their family?

5.) It does happen. Not at the same sites. It is always easier and cheaper to pack up and move and build new. Main reason for the steel industries decline in the NE and midwest. Just too daunting a task to stay abreast of modernization in these areas.

But, sure... It is always easier to blame the lazy union worker, taxes, and hostile regulatory enviroment... Makes things nice and easy for the press.

Don't get me wrong, those are factors.

And the beat goes on -

http://www.buffalonews.com/

Joe Donlon, 27, who lives in the Town of Tonawanda but works on Grand Island, doesn't have an alternate route to get to his job. "It'll be a huge impact," he said. "But I don't have a choice. It's like gasoline, you need to do it. You kind of adapt to the change. It doesn't make anybody happy. It's a shame - that's New York State for you."

And the beat goes on -

http://www.buffalonews.com/

Joe Donlon, 27, who lives in the Town of Tonawanda but works on Grand Island, doesn't have an alternate route to get to his job. "It'll be a huge impact," he said. "But I don't have a choice. It's like gasoline, you need to do it. You kind of adapt to the change. It doesn't make anybody happy. It's a shame - that's New York State for you."

322035[/snapback]

Bull crap! On nice days, why not bike to work? My siter lives on GI and bikes over the bridges to work. I think you have to pay a toll?... Yet, you save the gas?

Even the seemingly impossible is possible?

There is a will there is a way people! All you gotta do is try, things always work out.

I never answered this.

Hasn't it been a boon for the deep south?  With the oppressive summertime heat, makes life, business easier?

I am pretty sure there are studies?

322857[/snapback]

You need to go back and read the thread. :(

BTW, Hows the fam? :D

You need to go back and read the thread.  :D

BTW, Hows the fam? ;)

322907[/snapback]

I know, I know... Noticed the smilies and sarcasm?

I guess I shamelessly grapped attention? :(

If I knew CTM was gonna validate me, I would have done it long ago! ;)

But, then again being validated by a "Crap Throwing Monkey" can't be all that great?

They are doing fine... Thanks! And your's?... I bet the little one is growing up fast! I think we would all be doing better if this Northern Illinois spring warms up a bit so my AC can do its job!

:P