20 years ago today - Randy Johnson vs. the bird

Draconator

56 minutes ago, Draconator said:

1384448918_ScreenShot2021-03-24at10_41_13AM.png.48d9031726a961cdff577a0862765be4.png

Fun fact about Randy Johnson's photography career. He took what turned out to be the cover for Rush's R40 live album. 

Wow.  I can't believe it's been 20 years!

I can't find anything R40-related that resembles this.  I think I'm misunderstanding.

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

724078875_ScreenShot2021-03-24at12_07_43PM.png.5d468f2bb0c4cae6b9dabe0f070d0f6e.png

Randy's work. He took the picture. Geddy and Alex loved it, and used it. 

Ohhhhh!!  Yup.  I totally misunderstood.  I thought Randy's photography logo somehow ended up incorporated into the R40 logo.  Thanks for the clarification.

I'll never forget when Johnson went to the Yankees.  Just off the plane, the media surrounded him and he eventually said, "get that camera out of my face."  That's exactly when I (and many) knew that it would not work out.  Poor bastard.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll never forget when Johnson went to the Yankees.  Just off the plane, the media surrounded him and he eventually said, "get that camera out of my face."  That's exactly when I (and many) knew that it would not work out.  Poor bastard.

I never knew he was a Yankee. I have failed myself as a sports fan.

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember the bird strike when it happened.

That is the greatest example of being in the wrong place at the wrong time that anyone will ever encounter.

It also demonstrates just how freaking hard these guys throw a baseball, especially a killer like Johnson.

The D-Backs gave Randy as a gift for his jersey retirement a exact replica of Neil's R30 kit. Same wood construction, gold plated hardware, etc. There were only 20 replica's made, and it cost the D-Backs upwards of $20,000. Randy rearranged his living room, switched it for left-handed playing, and that kit is now the centerpiece of his house. There's a video somewhere of it, off to searching. 

The only thing I found is the retirement ceremony where they presented him with the set. Fast forward to the 8 minute mark. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.