Josh Gordon has another substance abuse setback. Back on Commissioners Exempt List.

Big Turk

4 hours ago, Mark90 said:

I myself am a former athlete and in fact there are a lot of such cases of abuse. And basically this happens to young athletes and because of the high pressure on them. They begin to train hard at the age of fourteen, so it's no surprise that they end up badly. I read in great detail about such cases here in the essay about drug abuse https://studymoose.com/the-causes-of-drug-abuse-among-teenagers-essay you can find many examples yourself. The worst thing is that for some reason no one writes nothing about it. And this is happening everywhere.

And, yet, it's just Gordon and maybe a few others that can't get with the program.

Oh well.

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

So much talent. So many chances. Don't let it be said that the NFL is not a league of second chances...unless you are Colin K that is.

At the risk of reopening that whole can of worms yet again (please don't) ... you're right. I guess Ray Rice too. 

Aldon Smith signed with the Cowboys this year after:

- a DUI arrest

- an illegal weapons conviction (after people were shot and he was stabbed at his home)

- another DUI arrest/MJ possession

- an altercation at LAX where he was accused of saying he had a bomb (he denied it)

- another DUI arrest/hit & run conviction this time

- a domestic violence incident in which he may or may not have bitten his girlfriend's wrist

- a violation of a restraining order stemming from that incident

As far as I can tell, Gordon has no dangerous offenses other than (arguably) one driving while ability impaired arrest in 2014. He just seems to be a cannabis addict.

If Aldon Smith can play, well, probably Josh Gordon should play too.

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

At the risk of reopening that whole can of worms yet again (please don't) ... you're right. I guess Ray Rice too. 

Aldon Smith signed with the Cowboys this year after:

- a DUI arrest

- an illegal weapons conviction (after people were shot and he was stabbed at his home)

- another DUI arrest/MJ possession

- an altercation at LAX where he was accused of saying he had a bomb (he denied it)

- another DUI arrest/hit & run conviction this time

- a domestic violence incident in which he may or may not have bitten his girlfriend's wrist

- a violation of a restraining order stemming from that incident

As far as I can tell, Gordon has no dangerous offenses other than (arguably) one driving while ability impaired arrest in 2014. He just seems to be a cannabis addict.

If Aldon Smith can play, well, probably Josh Gordon should play too.

I agree Gordons issue is not the same as Aldon Smith, the players shouldn't be punished in 2021 for marijuana anymore. 

That said, the NFL is full of felonius talent. I'd venture a wager its the NFL or the streets for 10% or more of the league and some of them don't know any better. 

51 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Been told that you cannot get addicted to cannabis.  Have a family member who was and went through the burning all the bridges, losing job, etc.

A couple of years of not smoking could pay for enough weed for rest of life and housing in some place like Jamaica. 

36 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I agree Gordons issue is not the same as Aldon Smith, the players shouldn't be punished in 2021 for marijuana anymore. 

He is being punished for breaking rules he agreed to get back in league now.  It is part of NFL-NFLPA contract.  Talk to NFLPA representative and ask on next contract they give something up to add waiver for past issues which 90+% of league does not need.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Been told that you cannot get addicted to cannabis.  Have a family member who was and went through the burning all the bridges, losing job, etc.

A couple of years of not smoking could pay for enough weed for rest of life and housing in some place like Jamaica. 

He is being punished for breaking rules he agreed to get back in league now.  It is part of NFL-NFLPA contract.  Talk to NFLPA representative and ask on next contract they give something up to add waiver for past issues which 90+% of league does not need.

This argument always has a kind of surface appeal - them's the rules, you knew them, you broke them, end of story - but it talks past the larger issue: does the NFL have a rational approach to the kinds of off the field actions that ought to get one excluded from the league? Or for that matter, on the field actions too (Gronk's arm brace to the head of Tre White comes to mind). That's what some of us are trying to say.