Bills 148 mil roster vs Raiders 106 mil

Really loving this head to head cap comparison:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ 

Not sure if this is a new feature, or just missed it because I usually look at cap stuff in the off-season. I love how you can see many of the problems the raiders have broken down.

Obviously the dead cap they're carrying jumps out, but so does what they are paying for wide receivers. It's no wonder they are struggling with depth there.

I don't know anything about it, but having there kicking on rookie contracts may be more mandatory than choice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

That awkward 21.5 mil QB that you can just tell is good but not good enough.

His cap hit is 12th among QBs and it's only higher than 5 QBs past their rookie contract not signed to be backups. You could argue that he's better than at least 4 of them.

Carr - 21.5M

Alex Smith - 21.4M

Jacoby Brissett - 21.375M

Kirk Cousins - 20M

Matt Ryan - 18.96M

Carson Wentz - 18.66M

Teddy Bridgewater - 14M

My point isn't that Carr is good.  My point is that this is the range that even moderately effective QBs get paid on their second deal. Any QB has a smaller cap hit than, on their second or further contract, is a backup or was signed to be a backup (Mariota 9.1M, Fitzpatrick 8M, Taylor 7.5M, Foles 6.6M, etc.)

Before you scream, I realize there are QBs who have signed extensions that have lower cap hits right now, Mahomes and Watson come to mind, but the extensions haven't kicked in yet so technically this is still the rookie deal. Both of their cap hits go up astronomically next year when the extensions begin.

By the time Carr's deal ends in a couple years his cap hit will be 19.9M and it won't look out of line for an average NFL starter.  It's not really that out of line now given the dynamics.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

His cap hit is 12th among QBs and it's only higher than 5 QBs past their rookie contract not signed to be backups. You could argue that he's better than at least 4 of them.

Carr - 21.5M

Alex Smith - 21.4M

Jacoby Brissett - 21.375M

Kirk Cousins - 20M

Matt Ryan - 18.96M

Carson Wentz - 18.66M

Teddy Bridgewater - 14M

My point isn't that Carr is good.  My point is that this is the range that even moderately effective QBs get paid on their second deal. Any QB has a smaller cap hit than, on their second or further contract, is a backup or was signed to be a backup (Mariota 9.1M, Fitzpatrick 8M, Taylor 7.5M, Foles 6.6M, etc.)

Before you scream, I realize there are QBs who have signed extensions that have lower cap hits right now, Mahomes and Watson come to mind, but the extensions haven't kicked in yet so technically this is still the rookie deal. Both of their cap hits go up astronomically next year when the extensions begin.

By the time Carr's deal ends in a couple years his cap hit will be 19.9M and it won't look out of line for an average NFL starter.  It's not really that out of line now given the dynamics.

wow, Matt Ryan is a steal.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

wow, never mind then

His dead cap is even more if they cut him for some reason.  He has been cap cheap. That ends next year and he will probably have at least 2 years of being cap expensive. It's all relative.  In 2027, Pat Mahomes cap hit will be 59.9M.  If Allen keep playing like he is people in Buffalo will lose their minds when they see his second contract.

There's some fat to trim from the Bills salary cap/roster after this year. 

Which means Beane needs to do even better in the draft, moving forward, in order to get better return-on-investment (ROI) from the second- and third-tier players. The first-tier group will command increasingly-large shares of the salary cap, if all goes well with Allen, Edmunds, Milano (shrug) and...anyone else soon?

Looks like we don't get "our" money's worth in disruption from the D-line, innit?

• Like (+1) 2