What's your favorite football story?

Simon

...only one that comes to mind was a Monday night game in Cleveland a few years ago.  Drew Pearson of the Cowboys made a catch and before the camera cut away, he proceeded to heave his cookies, face mask notwithstanding.  About as puke-green as it could get.  Must have been sick as a dog that night.

311808[/snapback]

a few years ago??? I saw that game. more than a few years ago! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
I realized that I had indeed stopped him and downed him at @ the 2 yard line, but the price I think you will agree was far too great

Far too great?!

Good sir, I do not agree in the least.

I think we both know that if you had not taken a run at him that to this very day, some 20 years later, you would still be bothered by the fact that you allowed a guy to walk in on your watch.

Bones heal, regrets do not. :D

My favorite football story is not one in which I was a player, or a great game I witnessed. When I hear the phrase "football story" I immediately get a vision of being chased down by the Ventura Community College football team.

I had just graduated HS and moved to Ojai, California, which is halfway between Ventura and Santa Barbara, off the coast up into the foothills. I was 18, and along with a friend of mine who was also not of legal age to drink, went in search of someplace to party. We had heard of big happenings at a local residence, and we drove his car over there to find scores of other young folks who had done the same, and as a result the party had now spilled out into the front yard.

We had been there just long enough to greet a couple friends, when a Big Dude storms out of the house and reads us the riot act - this is a private party for the Ventura CC football team, I think they had won their championship or maybe it was just an end of season fling, but the point was, if the cops found a bunch of minors there, they'd bust up their party. Well, he's right, so we've got to decide where we're taking our gathering. Apparently, we weren't doing this fast enough, as Big dude gives my friend a pretty hard shove off, and my friend goes at him with everything he's got. (Editor's note: at the time, my friend and I are both about 5'9", 135lbs soaking wet. Big Dude is at least 6'3'', and has 100lbs or more on us). It took about 30 furious seconds for me and a couple other people to separate one Big Dude not looking any the worse for wear, and one slightly bloodied, torn-shirt wearing friend. Still talking smack, but I've corralled him and am heading him back down the street to get in the car. We're almost to the car, and I notice a increase in the amount of noise coming from behind us, more yelling of some sort. Looking back on it, it was probably warning shouts from onlookers. Because as I stopped and turned while my friend walked on, I saw a sight that will be burned into my memory as long as I live.

The Ventura CC football team was running down the middle of the street, heading right for us. I've played enough football to know what kickoff coverage looks like at ground level, and my friends, It looked just like a kickoff coverage. With my friend, now a few steps beyond me, apparently playing the role of returner. Big Dude is leading the way, and he's about three steps away from flying past me to lay into my friend. No time to think about it - the kickoff coverage formation triggered an automatic response, and I took two steps and straight armed his closest shoulder as he passed. It was kind of pretty, the way his body twisted and his feet left the ground. I cringed as I watched him slide across the asphalt - that's gotta hurt. My admiration of my work and reminder of the rest of the team came as I was lifted up and slammed over a hood of someone's car. Oh yeah, the other guys. There were now two of them holding me down on the car hood, with fists raised over me. One shaved head, not one neck between the two. Just as quickly, both look up, and one runs off - the other looks back down and I say "Hey, I just want to get the F out of here". Much to my suprise, he takes off too - neither of them threw a punch.

At this point, I stand up and see there are at least six different fights going on in the middle of the street, none of which include me or my friend, who is standing a few feet away. We jump in the car, turn around and head out of there - as a trail of 3-4 police cars with the lights on head in the opposite direction.

So if you were with the VCC football team back around 80/81, I'm sorry I screwed up your party - but you shouldn't get drunk before you play special teams.

One of my alltime favorite football tales is one I heard on one of those NFL films Halloween specials. Sorry, I can't remember all of the specifics, but there was one story about a running back that the Bengals had in their innaugeral season. I can't remember his name, but he had some great misfortune. His rookie season, with the first Bengals season going down the tank, the team starts advertising itself, promoting that one should buy tickets to the Bengals game, just to watch this rookie on his race to 1000 yards.

Going into the season finale, the running back needs about 57 yards to hit 1000. The Bengals, as they were ones to do, playing the Steelers (I think) are getting their asses kicked at home in the finale. The coach keeps telling the QB to feed the running back the ball, to get him to the 1000 yard mark. He carries the balls something like 20 times, and finally gets to the 1000 yard mark with about 12 minutes left in the game. The hometown fans go nuts, and they stop the game, to let him tak a bow, and give him the game ball. He takes off his helmet, and goes to the sidelines to bask in the adulation, and start thinking about the off-season. His back-up goes in, and rips off a long run. Suddenly, the Bengals are only down by 13, with about 9 minutes. The Steelers fumble the ball on the ensuing possesion, and it is recovered by the Bengals. They manage to score another TD, but the back-up running back gets hurt on the drive. The Bengals defense holds, and gets the ball back to the offense with about 4 miutes left. The 1003 rookie running back comes back in to the game, as the Bengals are primed for a huge comeback. The pass the ball a few times, and then decide to mix it up and run the ball. The star running back gets drilled in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, and to add insult to injury, coughs up the ball. Steelers recover, run out the clock, the running back finishes with 998 yards, game over....

If all of that wasn't tragic enough, the following season, the same running back needed a 100 yard game to finish at the 1000 yard mark. This time, he got into the 80's, before sustaining a game, and career ending knee injury....the Bengals have been snake bit ever since....

One of my alltime favorite football tales is one I heard on one of those NFL films Halloween specials.  Sorry, I can't remember all of the specifics, but there was one story about a running back that the Bengals had in their innaugeral season.  I can't remember his name, but he had some great misfortune.  His rookie season, with the first Bengals season going down the tank, the team starts advertising itself, promoting that one should buy tickets to the Bengals game, just to watch this rookie on his race to 1000 yards.

Going into the season finale, the running back needs about 57 yards to hit 1000.  The Bengals, as they were ones to do, playing the Steelers (I think) are getting their asses kicked at home in the finale.  The coach keeps telling the QB to feed the running back the ball, to get him to the 1000 yard mark. He carries the balls something like 20 times, and finally gets to the 1000 yard mark with about 12 minutes left in the game.  The hometown fans go nuts, and they stop the game, to let him tak a bow, and give him the game ball.  He takes off his helmet, and goes to the sidelines to bask in the adulation, and start thinking about the off-season.  His back-up goes in, and rips off a long run.  Suddenly, the Bengals are only down by 13, with about 9 minutes.  The Steelers fumble the ball on the ensuing possesion, and it is recovered by the Bengals.  They manage to score another TD, but the back-up running back gets hurt on the drive.  The Bengals defense holds, and gets the ball back to the offense with about 4 miutes left.  The 1003 rookie running back comes back in to the game, as the Bengals are primed for a huge comeback. The pass the ball a few times, and then decide to mix it up and run the ball.  The star running back gets drilled in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, and to add insult to injury, coughs up the ball.  Steelers recover, run out the clock, the running back finishes with 998 yards, game over....

If all of that wasn't tragic enough, the following season, the same running back needed a 100 yard game to finish at the 1000 yard mark.  This time, he got into the 80's, before sustaining a game, and career ending knee injury....the Bengals have been snake bit ever since....

325262[/snapback]

This would be a great story if it was true. :blink:

From the Bengalszone site:

Yearly Leaders: Rushing

Year Player Attempts Yards Average Long TDS

1968 Paul Robinson 238 1,023 4.3 87 8

1969 Jess Phillips 118 578 4.9 83 3

1970 Jess Phillips 163 648 4.0 76 4

1971 Fred Willis 135 590 4.4 36 7

1972 Essex Johnson 212 825 3.9 19 4

1973 Essex Johnson 195 997 5.1 46 4

So, in their inaugural season, they did have a RB go over 1,000 yards. And if we're talking about Essex Johnson's 997-yard season, it wasn't his rookie year. In fact, Johnson had been around since 1968, when he gained 178 yards.

None of the other Bengals' yearly rushing leaders had a total that close to 1,000 without going over. And none got to 980 either.

Don't worry -- I mess these football stories up all the time too. But as an editor I check facts for a living these days. :(

One of my alltime favorite football tales is one I heard on one of those NFL films Halloween specials.  Sorry, I can't remember all of the specifics, but there was one story about a running back that the Bengals had in their innaugeral season.  I can't remember his name, but he had some great misfortune.  His rookie season, with the first Bengals season going down the tank, the team starts advertising itself, promoting that one should buy tickets to the Bengals game, just to watch this rookie on his race to 1000 yards.

325262[/snapback]

I think I've seen that special but I thought it was a RB for ATL.

I think I've seen that special but I thought it was a RB for ATL.

325582[/snapback]

If so, it wasn't their inaugural season, but it did happen to Dave Hampton:

1972: Standing at 7-5 the Falcons travel to San Francisco with NFC Western Division Title on the line. However, the Falcons are never in the game and see their playoff hopes end with a 20-0 shutout loss at the hands of the 49ers. Facing the Kansas City Chiefs in their final game of the season at Fulton County Stadium RB Dave Hampton surpasses the 1,000-yard mark on the season. However, a play later he is thrown for a 6-yard loss and ends the season with 995 yards, as the Falcons lose and finish 7-7. 

Source: http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/atlanta/falcons.html

My favorite stories involve Chris Speilman...

1) He called signals on his very first play from scrimage as a Bill (in practice).

2) Early one morning, perhaps at 6 AM, he ran into Mr. Wilson in the exercise room when he was first signed. He approached him and thanked him for signing him. Mr. Wilson said that CS was SO intense that it was the first time he was ever scared by a player.

3) After a practice in camp, the LBs were sitting around, talking. Exhausted or not, CS refused to let the young players go back to their rooms because he had more to say to them about playing football.

Players get bigger and faster all the time, but there will never be an era where Chris Speilman wouldn't be a great NFL football player.

My only regret wrt CS is that his stay in Buffalo was so short. I dont know his stats, but imo, this man belongs in Canton, Ohio!