Music & your brain

4_kidd_4

For a more broad overview of the topic, check out This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin. He's a heavy metal guitarist with a PhD in neuroscience. He does a great job of translating the heavy jargon to terms that reasonably intelligent non-scientists can understand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Mickey Hart, one of the Dead's drummers has been leading a charge to research this.  Pretty cool stuff

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2018/mickey-hart-alzheimers-awareness.html

Very cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Grateful Dead being mentioned in an AARP publication. 😉

Back in my professor days, our college president was giving a speech during the Commencement ceremony. He mentioned a quote by, in his words, "Philosopher Mickey Hart, who also played drums in the Grateful Dead." I thought, "Dude, you get coolness points for knowing the name of even one member of the Dead, and bonus points for naming someone other than Jerry Garcia."

By the way, the quote was, "Adventures don't begin until you get into the forest. That first step is an act of faith."

• Like (+1) 1