Great Chili Cook-Off; Recipes Needed

So while I realize it’s still in the meat of the Summer (Tre’s sweatpants in practice this week notwithstanding) and many folks would raise an eyebrow at thinking about all things chili at the moment, I happen to be in the camp that good food, much like ice cream, deserves to be enjoyed year-round. And this is one of my favorites no matter the season. 

That said, what’s your go-to family chili recipe & or tips? Slow cooker or cook pot stovetop? Fire for flavor or subtlety? Specific on beans or whatever you have laying around in the pantry? Sour cream, shredded cheese on top or does that take away from the finished product too much? 

I’d like to try a new recipe the next time I make it, and was curious what you all do for yours? 

• Like (+1) 1

Slow cooker, 3 cans Ro-Tel fire roasted diced tomatoes, 2 cans Bush’s hot chili beans, 1 can kidney beans, one large can of tomato paste. I drain the water from the tomatoes and kidney beans because I like it thicker. McCormicks hot chili mix. Some diced jalapeños, some Frank’s hot sauce, some diced red onion, some garlic salt, some pepper, all to taste. Let that cook on high for about an hour. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn on bottom. Cook up some hamburger meat with some garlic salt and pepper. Add it to the chili and let it cook for another hour. Then chop up and mix in some celery to add crunch. Ladle into bowl, mix in some shredded Mexican mix cheese so it melts throughout. I use Tostito scoops to eat it. 

Edited by PastaJoe
Addition
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Slow cooker, 3 cans Ro-Tel fire roasted diced tomatoes, 2 cans Bush’s hot chili beans, 1 can kidney beans, one large can of tomato paste. I drain the water from the tomatoes and kidney beans because I like it thicker. McCormicks hot chili mix. Some diced jalapeños, some Frank’s hot sauce, some diced red onion, some garlic salt, some pepper, all to taste. Let that cook on high for about an hour. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn on bottom. Cook up some hamburger meat with some garlic salt and pepper. Add it to the chili and let it cook for another hour. Then chop up and mix in some celery to add crunch. Ladle into bowl, mix in some shredded Mexican mix cheese so it melts throughout. I use Tostito scoops to eat it. 

This sounds spectacular—and can bring the heat, clearly. If cooking for additional folk who can’t take the heat (better half), would you change out the Bush’s hot chili beans or just leave off the Frank’s? 

48 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This sounds spectacular—and can bring the heat, clearly. If cooking for additional folk who can’t take the heat (better half), would you change out the Bush’s hot chili beans or just leave off the Frank’s? 

Frank's is about as spicy as a glass of water:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

They have medium heat chili beans and diced tomatoes. But the real spice comes from the jalapeños, hot sauce, and red onions. You could start with less, taste it after an hour, and then add if you want spicier.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

They have medium heat chili beans and diced tomatoes. But the real spice comes from the jalapeños, hot sauce, and red onions. You could start with less, taste it after an hour, and then add if you want spicier.

Don't be a baby, get the fire department on standby!!! Throw a couple Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Peppers) in that bad boy...:worthy:

This is a good starting place:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

Except I will add more chilie de arbols and chipotles than called for.  Do a mix of ground beef and beef cubes.  I add crushed tomatoes sometimes.  Black beans or pinto beans might make it in the mix but NO kidney beans. Sometimes I like to toss in some bacon or smoked ham hocks.  

The key to exceptional chili is using a variety of freshly ground chile powders or using whole dried smoked chilies.    If you have a generic "chili powder" in your spice cabinet, toss it out.  That stuff is a mixture of all sorts of peppers and other spices.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Don't be a baby, get the fire department on standby!!! Throw a couple Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Peppers) in that bad boy...:worthy:

Or just a hint of Carolina Reaper? 

https://www.pepperscale.com/carolina-reaper-vs-ghost-pepper/

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

This is a good starting place:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

Except I will add more chilie de arbols and chipotles than called for.  Do a mix of ground beef and beef cubes.  I add crushed tomatoes sometimes.  Black beans or pinto beans might make it in the mix but NO kidney beans. Sometimes I like to toss in some bacon or smoked ham hocks.  

The key to exceptional chili is using a variety of freshly ground chile powders or using whole dried smoked chilies.    If you have a generic "chili powder" in your spice cabinet, toss it out.  That stuff is a mixture of all sorts of peppers and other spices.   

You might make post of the day consideration on the bacon addition alone--I never considered that, but what's worse when bacon is added in any form? Still waiting...

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Or just a hint of Carolina Reaper? 

https://www.pepperscale.com/carolina-reaper-vs-ghost-pepper/

You might make post of the day consideration on the bacon addition alone--I never considered that, but what's worse when bacon is added in any form? Still waiting...

I'd go one deseeded Reaper, one trindad scorpion, two ghost peppers but the sugar rush peach bhut jolokias and one orange fruity habenero... All deseeded of course to get the best part of the heat and not die.

13 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I'd go one deseeded Reaper, one trindad scorpion, two ghost peppers but the sugar rush peach bhut jolokias and one orange fruity habenero... All deseeded of course to get the best part of the heat and not die.

I doff my cap in your general direction if this is based on personal experience! :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I doff my cap in your general direction if this is based on personal experience! :thumbsup:

I have put all of these in my mouth the same day, raw, and I ended up with literal mouth blisters on my soft palate... Happened from chewing up the habenero too much and letting it sit of all things.  My wife would not eat a chili this hot so I reserve the extra spicy batch for my birthday and special occasions like Bills games.

• Thank you (+1) 1