Wife was in a wreck

georg793

We got a new suv about 3 weeks ago. Have not even made the first payment. Now here is the problem. A girl driving her mother car cut in front of my wife and she wasn't on her mother policy to be driving the car. The girl got 2 ticket inproper left hand turn and failing to signal. and the worst part is we leave for vacation on may 2. And we need to get the car fixed. But i don't wanna put it on are insurance. So what do I do now. I prolly gonna end up puting it on are insurance to get it done. Would it be wise to try and go after the girl for the money which i don't think she has. Anyone have any ideas what to do?????????? Info would be apprecated.

Do you have uninsured motorist coverage?

Same thing happend to me recently in LA. I got hit by someone who didn't have insurance. I was found not at fault and they covered it since i had this extra policy.

Either way you should report it to your insurance company. I think you are required since the police were involved.

You definately don't want to pay for all of it out of pocket. REport it and let the insurance company do their job and go after the child's parents.

We got a new suv about 3 weeks ago.  Have not even made the first payment.  Now here is the problem.  A girl driving her mother car cut in front of my wife and she wasn't on her mother policy to be driving the car.  The girl got 2 ticket inproper left hand turn and failing to signal.  and the worst part is we leave for vacation on may 2.  And we need to get the car fixed.  But i don't wanna put it on are insurance.  So what do I do now.  I prolly gonna end up puting it on are insurance to get it done.  Would it be wise to try and go after the girl for the money which i don't think she has.  Anyone have any ideas what to do??????????    Info would be apprecated.

309639[/snapback]

First I would demand from her and the mother to get a rental (SUV) on their dime. Since she received the tickets the law is on your side. Did she steal her mother's car and or did the mother know she was driving? Tell them one way or another they are going to pay. You are going to need a lawyer but it seems to me that they are responsible. I would sue them even if they couldn't pay (maybe they will be able to in the future). Hopefully your insurance co. won't hold it against you if they have to fix the car. Get a lawyer and consult your insurance co. I'm sure they deal with this scenario all of th time. Good luck.

There should be a police report since the girl got ticketed. If so, report it to your insurance company. They will go after the other driver's insurance company since the girl was at fault. The other company should provide a rental vehicle while yours in in the shop.

all easier said than done, in march of 04 my wife was hit by a insuranceless person, to this date we have not seen a penny, we have a lawyer and we are going after him, however if the person doesn't have any money you are out of luck, hopefully the accident wasn't major and your insurance company will cover it. Me and my wife have uninsured motorist, however we still had to shell out 500 dollars. the guy that hit her was ticketed but he was allowed to drive home, he was driving a beat up truck which was huge compared to the sentra my wife drove.

DON"T EXPECT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO DO ANYTHING!!!!! this past feb, she was in another accident, not at fault, and this time the other person had insurance and we still had to pay our share $500, and when we asked our insurance company they told us that it was our job to get the money out of the other insurance company.

All i can tell you is get a lawyer. I hate to say this but this young lady needs to learn a lesson. Sue her and her parents.

all easier said than done, in march of 04 my wife was hit by a insuranceless person, to this date we have not seen a penny, we have a lawyer and we are going after him, however if the person doesn't have any money you are out of luck, hopefully the accident wasn't major and your insurance company will cover it.  Me and my wife have uninsured motorist, however we still had to shell out 500 dollars.  the guy that hit her was ticketed but he was allowed to drive home, he was driving a beat up truck which was huge compared to the sentra my wife drove.

DON"T EXPECT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!  this past feb, she was in another accident, not at fault, and this time the other person had insurance and we still had to pay our share $500, and when we asked our insurance company they told us that it was our job to get the money out of the other insurance company.

All i can tell you is get a lawyer.  I hate to say this but this young lady needs to learn a lesson.  Sue her and her parents.

309701[/snapback]

Yeah are deductable is 200. She set up the appointment to claim it on are insurace so we can get it done. she will get a rental car well they work on it. The girl or her family prolly don't have much money so i don't know if it would be worth the time a hassle to go after her. She was driving a 1986 buick regal. Which only got a scratch and the hubcap fell off. My wife was driving are new 2005 sanafa which the bumper is hurt bad and the front right pannel. We got a ast today of 2636.00 dollars and are 200.00 deducable. So I should prolly just bite my tougue and pay it and get it done with. Then maybe try and collect it from the girl or her parents. We will see.

yeah, be happy everyone is okay, and go after the 200, and whatever you can get from her, i wouldn't involve your insurance company, most of the time the person at fault will just feel lucky enough to only have to pay that much. i hate saying give up, but don't stress over it. and enjoy your trip. Hell, make her pay in installments if they can't afford it.

1. Report it to your insurance company. Preserves coverage for you in case she turns around and commences action against your wife and whoever owns the car if it's not your wife (don't remember from the post). Even though she was ticketed, there is a possibility that she could claim a serious injury resulting from the instant collision and try to recover from you. If you don't provide notice immediately (you're playing with fire after a week), your insurance company's obligation to "defend and indemnify" is not triggered. What this means in simple terms is that you will have to pay for a lawyer, and even in the most mundane auto accident, your defense costs at around $125 an hour could reach $20,000, if not more, should the claim have any merit (not to mention the fact that the insurance company would bear no responsibility for any subsequent judgment). Here's a nightmare scenario: The other driver gets ticketed, fights the tickets (prior conviction of the traffic violation inadmissible at forhtcoming civil trial we'll get to) sues you, meets the Insurance Law's Serious Injury threshold with a couple of chip fractures, a busted tooth or two, and nice scar on her young, pretty, feminine face, not to mention the dreaded cervical injury that requires subsequent surgery. Because the nightmare scenario involves an accident in Niagara County, your jury is composed primarily of folks from Niagara Falls who think that the avlusion fracture and busted teeth alone are worth a few billion dollars (OK, slight to moderate exaggeration - how about - more than the value of the house and cars you co-own with your wife). Next thing you know . . . bye bye house and cars.

2. Let your insurance company worry about getting it back from her. Somebody owns the car; whoever that is must have insurance pursuant to state law. Even if the driver wasn't insured pursuant to her policy or somebody else's, whoever owns that bad boy better have some kind of policy, because your insurance company will more likely than not subrogate, i.e. pay you for your loss and get it back from them, and make that money reappear from somewhere.

3. Based on the above, you shouldn't get into the SUM analysis, but if your policy provides SUM coverage, your carrier may be obligated to take care of you in case the other folks have no insurance and no assets besides the car that is undoubtedly less valuable now than it was a few days ago.

DON"T EXPECT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!  this past feb, she was in another accident, not at fault, and this time the other person had insurance and we still had to pay our share $500, and when we asked our insurance company they told us that it was our job to get the money out of the other insurance company.

309701[/snapback]

What insurance company was this? I've dealt with four or five in my life, and a slew of agents, and while they've all tried to pull a boatload of crap on me (like cancelling my insurance because my sister got into an accident under my father's policy, none of which had anything to do with me), they've all universally said it's the insurance company's job to get the money from the other company. I don't know who you were with, but I'd seriously suggest they were bulls--tting you.