Bills resign Shane Matthews

This is imo a very good move.

We are entering 05 with a starting qb who has a penchant for getting injured after light contact with a relatively small defender.

I am happy to have players who have proven to be able to play the qb position in the NFL on the Bills.

309589[/snapback]

Then let's get one instead of throwing money and a roster spot away on Matthews. I have nothing personal against him - it's just that I've seen Matthews play during his Redskin stint. IMO we'd be better off having a NFLE qb come in as #3.

we've got 2 of the best backup QBs in the league

the starter??? stay tunned...

309503[/snapback]

Geez, so when did Shane Matthews get considered one of the best backups in the NFL? He wasn't even on a roster when we got him to play for us last year.

One of the best? Hardly. I'd rather have a youngin like Thompson at least get a shot at #3. But oh well, who really cares about #3, but one of the best backups? Shane Matthews? Hardly!

Excellent move. Now, instead of giving a little bit of attention to some rookie scrub developmental #3 QB, Wyche can concentrate 100% on JP.

309625[/snapback]

That's my thought, as well. Matthews will play "mentor" for a year, and be like another coach on the field (like Frank Reich and the Doughboy used to do with JK). I'm not sure Holcomb would be as effective in this teaching/confidence building capacity.

Geez, so when did Shane Matthews get considered one of the best backups in the NFL?  He wasn't even on a roster when we got him to play for us last year.

One of the best?  Hardly.  I'd rather have a youngin like Thompson at least get a shot at #3.  But oh well, who really cares about #3, but one of the best backups?  Shane Matthews?  Hardly!

309892[/snapback]

The Kevin Thompson Tambourine Fan Band continues to grow in number, who else wants to join?

"He just wins (in NFL Europe in three games so far)."

NFLE players receive a roster exemption until late in pre-season so the Bills will be able to keep 4 QBs until late in pre-season. This means several things:

1. There is zero pressure on the Bills to make a QB decision until the last cut down date. 4 QBs, 3 of whom will have focused primarily on running the Bills O will be throwing passes in practice to Bills receivers virtually all camp.

2. When this late decision gets made, Thompson will have to show on the field that he is a pro prospect (NFLE can demonstrate a player is a pro athlete but still falls short of proof that he can make the Bills). Even if he doesn't it becomes pretty doubtful that he would catch on with another team if we offer him a spot on our PS. It will be likely too late for him to master a new system or merit upsetting a team's plan to have another QB as their number 3. Even if a team gets hit by the injury bug at QB as we were last year, they will likely be far more interested in a vet sitting at home like a Matthews was rather than a rookie with upside like Thompson.

The greatest likelihood seems to be that Thompson won a place on our PS with his NFLE performance and Matthews will be a good #3 for us.

The obvious and only answer to the "why?" question is that Shane Matthews went to his wife and said, "Honey, I can retire and be home all day complaining or I can make $750,000 this year for doing nothing but talking and I'm probably not going to get hit even once the entire year."

The Kevin Thompson Tambourine Fan Band continues to grow in number, who else wants to join?

"He just wins (in NFL Europe in three games so far)."

309921[/snapback]

Maybe he's the next Ken Simonton. :devil:

you never know with TV in training camp...

310214[/snapback]

True, but it's a little difficult to envision Shane Matthews rolling out, deciding to run, and then just before the sideline and going OB, try to gain that extra yard by cutting back up field against Troy Vincent. :devil:

The Bills are close to an iminent deal with Shane Matthews. I like that idea. With both Holcomb and Matthews there to help groom JPL, there is no need for drafting a quarterback. In many of the mock drafts I've been reading, they have the Bills drafting a QB. I think that this changes everything.

With the Quarterback situation set (at least until next year), where do you expect the Bills to draft in the late rounds to help with debth? Runningback is obvious to me (with the iminent dismissal of TH), but what else are we looking at?

The Bills are close to an iminent deal with Shane Matthews.  I like that idea.  With both Holcomb and Matthews there to help groom  JPL, there is no need for drafting a quarterback.  In many of the mock drafts I've been reading, they have the Bills drafting a QB.  I think that this changes everything.

With the Quarterback situation set (at least until next year), where do you expect the Bills to draft in the late rounds to help with debth?  Runningback is obvious to me (with the iminent dismissal of TH), but what else are we looking at?

310381[/snapback]

It's got to be best player available for the most part those last rounds. Depth at linebacker, both lines, receiver, dbs, whatever.