Ranking the AFC East secondaries: Pats still # 1?

A good pass rush makes for a good secondary.IF the front seven can shore up the Run D while holding serve( at a minimum) on sacks andQB pressures the secondary has a chance to play lights out this year.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

The Bills as an overall team had the 5th lowest QBR in the league defensively. But to @thebandit27 point below. Only 1 other player not on the Patriots from the AFCE make the top 40, and you get to 48 before you find Maulett from the NYJ. 

The Bills lack db depth. Wallace has been inconsistant, Johnson needs to stay healthy. Gaines needs to stay healthy. Norman needs to return to form. If they all end up on the positive side of "what if" then they will be a great unit. If they don't they will still be a single star player and a bunch of meh enhanced by a solid DC/HC combo

?????

White is a superstar. Poyer and Hyde are stars. Our secondary was darn good last year.  Where is this mediocre stuff even coming from?  Wallace played a huge chunk of last season and they were really really good.  Why do they need to Norman to return to All-Pro form to achieve that again?  What am I missing?

How many secondaries in the NFL pound for pound would you call better than ours? Not many. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

?????

White is a superstar. Poyer and Hyde are stars. Our secondary was darn good last year.  Where is this mediocre stuff even coming from?  Wallace played a huge chunk of last season and they were really really good.  Why do they need to Norman to return to All-Pro form to achieve that again?  What am I missing?

How many secondaries in the NFL pound for pound would you call better than ours? Not many. 

I was more responding to the question as to how could the pats secondary be rated higher. The Bills are a very good unit without a lot of very good individuals. Based on the “metrics” of the rankings. It’s basically starting 5 with plus flex player. The Pats are loaded in the secondary. The Bills have one great CB, a very good safety tandem, and the rest are meh-ish.  It makes them a high level unit but not really close to be ranked over NE. Who had 6 players in the top 50 for all DB’s regardless of position in the backfield. 

Simply, I would rate NE’s secondary well above Buffalo’s right now based on both top end talent and depth. I’m not arguing that as a unit they are bad. 

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

I was more responding to the question as to how could the pats secondary be rated higher. The Bills are a very good unit without a lot of very good individuals. Based on the “metrics” of the rankings. It’s basically starting 5 with plus flex player. The Pats are loaded in the secondary. The Bills have one great CB, a very good safety tandem, and the rest are meh-ish.  It makes them a high level unit but not really close to be ranked over NE. Who had 6 players in the top 50 for all DB’s regardless of position in the backfield. 

Simply, I would rate NE’s secondary well above Buffalo’s right now based on both top end talent and depth. I’m not arguing that as a unit they are bad. 

Ah, I was confused because you kept saying mediocre. 

Totally agree. To surpass the Pats’ secondary, we simply need higher level of play from the role players.

• Like (+1) 1