Ranking the AFC East secondaries: Pats still # 1?

To rank AFC East’s secondaries, I looked at two starting outside corners, the primary slot corner and the starting box and free safeties for each team. I added the FLEX position to simply give me a sixth player, acknowledge high rookie draft picks, versatile nickel or dime defenders who don't start or anyone else who I felt needed to be factored into the conversation.

1) 

The Patriots’ secondary is arguably the strongest positional group in the NFL...

I can’t argue with their rankings one bit. The Pats secondary IS really good, has great depth, and just added Kyle Dugger.

Glad the writer smartly ranked Bills over Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

It's fair. But arguably that's also numbers one and two in the whole league -- depending on how Wallace plays, if Norman has a '15-style renaissance, Gaines fits in like he did a few years ago, and/or Taron Johnson stays healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

The secondaries in the AFC East are really good. Both 1st team all-pro corners and both 1st team all-pro safeties started the year in the AFC East. Fitzpatrick was traded to Pittsburgh. That’s pretty insane though. The top 4 DBs in football all started the year in the division. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

Can’t argue with this.

Dolphins have 3 really good corners and I like their safeties.

LOLOL the Jests ???

Jamal Adams is pretty good...not going to lie. 

Truth is AFC East is pretty loaded on defense (Bills, Jets, and Pats all finished top 10 last year)

3 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Jamal Adams is pretty good...not going to lie. 

Truth is AFC East is pretty loaded on defense (Bills, Jets, and Pats all finished top 10 last year)

Pats lost alot of guys in the front 7 

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The secondaries in the AFC East are really good. Both 1st team all-pro corners and both 1st team all-pro safeties started the year in the AFC East. Fitzpatrick was traded to Pittsburgh. That’s pretty insane though. The top 4 DBs in football all started the year in the division. 

for a second I thought you meant FitzMagic

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

To rank AFC East’s secondaries, I looked at two starting outside corners, the primary slot corner and the starting box and free safeties for each team. I added the FLEX position to simply give me a sixth player, acknowledge high rookie draft picks, versatile nickel or dime defenders who don't start or anyone else who I felt needed to be factored into the conversation.

I would argue it is not the strongest positional group in NFL but it is clear that throwing in our division will be tough this year for any QB. It makes me happy we have two RB who I right now trust.

The AFC East has been loading up on defense because you have 3 defensive minded head coaches. So yeah, the AFC East is pretty impressive on that side of the ball.

It's no wonder that the one offensive minded head coach in the division has a lackluster defensive secondary. Problem is, his offense isn't impressive either. He'll get canned and perhaps they'll bring in a defensive coach and the AFC East will be a division of elite defenses. That would be fun.

I do think the pendulum is swinging back to the defense and we'll see more defensive head coaches. Part of that is the lack of the next generation of elite QB's, so teams are needing to focus elsewhere to find sustained success, perhaps?

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to see he didn't get swept into the offseason victory and crown the Dolphins ahead of us. 

People are quick to point out how we benefitted from an easy schedule, without acknowledging that the patriots did as well, and where their schedule diverged, they got blown out. 

As for how he lists our secondary, I think Wallace will be CB2, and Neal will be the flex. 

Realistically, how can we be considered for #1 Secondary when we don’t even know for sure who the 4th starter is, let alone the Nickel? Love our guys, but after Tre’, Jordan & Micha, who ya got??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Realistically, how can we be considered for #1 Secondary when we don’t even know for sure who the 4th starter is, let alone the Nickel? Love our guys, but after Tre’, Jordan & Micha, who ya got??‍♂️

Well, that's been Wallace the past two years and he's still with the team, so it's his job to lose. I know he split some time with Johnson, so it's easy to assume he'd split some time with Norman and Gains.

But hey, the Pats probably edge out that group anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Levi and Taron Johnson unless they get beaten out. I think I could see Norman in the slot. Gaines if healthy could beat out Levi 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thurst44 said:

It's fair. But arguably that's also numbers one and two in the whole league -- depending on how Wallace plays, if Norman has a '15-style renaissance, Gaines fits in like he did a few years ago, and/or Taron Johnson stays healthy.

Agreed. Buffalo could turn out to be just as good or better. But there are a lot of "what ifs". Tre is great, but who knows what we get from Gordon. Does Gaines stay healthy and return to form? Wallace has been up and down at times. Johnson needs to stay healthy. Outside of Tre, there are a lot of questions that could rightfully make us very good or very mediocre. 

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Agreed. Buffalo could turn out to be just as good or better. But there are a lot of "what ifs". Tre is great, but who knows what we get from Gordon. Does Gaines stay healthy and return to form? Wallace has been up and down at times. Johnson needs to stay healthy. Outside of Tre, there are a lot of questions that could rightfully make us very good or very mediocre. 

Mediocre with Poyer, Hyde and White? I don’t think so. 

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mediocre with Poyer, Hyde and White? I don’t think so. 

The Bills as an overall team had the 5th lowest QBR in the league defensively. But to @thebandit27 point below. Only 1 other player not on the Patriots from the AFCE make the top 40, and you get to 48 before you find Maulett from the NYJ. 

The Bills lack db depth. Wallace has been inconsistant, Johnson needs to stay healthy. Gaines needs to stay healthy. Norman needs to return to form. If they all end up on the positive side of "what if" then they will be a great unit. If they don't they will still be a single star player and a bunch of meh enhanced by a solid DC/HC combo. 

32 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Pats****** had 5 players in their secondary that ranked in the top 16 in passer rating allowed in 2019.

The 2020 Bills, Jets, and Dolphins rosters had  1...combined.