The Draft Network Studs and Duds with Market Value some of the UFAs

MAJBobby

On 1/31/2020 at 6:41 PM, Dkollidas said:

They have the cap space this year, and the flexibility in the coming years to make a deal for one of the big ticket free agents. 

That's the way I see it as well.  I think they'll target one marquee UFA and (at most) 1-2 "fill in" types--and then use the rest of the cap space on the curret roster.

It could be a tough approach if they don't land their guy right out of the gate.   If they have to wait around for a decision, they might get stuck losing out on "player 1B" if their initial target eventually turns them down.    That might mean overpaying, but then again, that's what Buffalo has to do anyway to overcome the Siberia issue...

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

All the re-sign our own people. 

who of “our own” have actually earned that new contract?

that are not cost controlled for say 2 years?

This narrative that we need to dole out extensions for all these guys is nonsense. 

Mediocre players that the team likes can stay on modest deals, but to get a significant extension you better be REALLY good/great.

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This narrative that we need to dole out extensions for all these guys is nonsense. 

Mediocre players that the team likes can stay on modest deals, but to get a significant extension you better be REALLY good/great.

It should be. 

Example McD’s Cover 4 is very safety friendly. As much as I do like Poyer I am not giving him an extension with an AVV of over 10M. 

sorry ISNT going to happen. And shouldn’t happen. He is a SAFETY. You have one you drafted and kept on the 53 for a REASON. 

if he will sign a contract in the 6-7M AVV range fine. 

Edited by MAJBobby

It should be. 

Example McD’s Cover 4 is very safety friendly. As much as I do like Poyer I am not giving him an extension with an AVV of over 10M. 

sorry ISNT going to happen. And shouldn’t happen. He is a SAFETY. You have one you drafted and kept on the 53 for a REASON. 

Absolutely.

I've been of the opinion that we should not extend Poyer...at least not at what he is allegedly looking for. 

I think McDermott and Frazier know how to utilize what they have and their scheme plays a major part in the unit's success.

Where they should spend the money is where I don't think they can get by on their scheme and that's the offense. They must continue to get better up front, get another back that can be effective, and get a number one receiver.

Draft replacements on defense and take care of the studs like Tre and Edmunds. A pass rusher would be nice, but that's all I'm really gonna do on that side in terms of big money.

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Absolutely.

I've been of the opinion that we should not extend Poyer...at least not at what he is allegedly looking for. 

I think McDermott and Frazier know how to utilize what they have and their scheme plays a major part in the unit's success.

Where they should spend the money is where I don't think they can get by on their scheme and that's the offense. They must continue to get better up front, get another back that can be effective, and get a number one receiver.

Draft replacements on defense and take care of the studs like Tre and Edmunds. A pass rusher would be nice, but that's all I'm really gonna do on that side in terms of big money.

also people take words of Beane as gospel though actions show quite different. 

1. Words :”you don’t need a true No 1 WR”. Actions - Beane in on talks for OBJ, had a trade in place for AB before AB scuttled. 

2. Words: “Draft, Develop pay players”. Actions - Sign Morse as highest paid center in NFL. 

I do think we have young players trending toward a lucrative extension in 2-4 years. But that isn’t going to stop Buffalo from spending on a guy in UFA they can see as part of that solution to win. 

also people take words of Beane as gospel though actions show quite different. 

1. Words :”you don’t need a true No 1 WR”. Actions - Beane in on talks for OBJ, had a trade in place for AB before AB scuttled. 

2. Words: “Draft, Develop pay players”. Actions - Sign Morse as highest paid center in NFL. 

I do think we have young players trending toward a lucrative extension in 2-4 years. But that isn’t going to stop Buffalo from spending on a guy in UFA they can see as part of that solution to win. 

...that's a pretty all inclusive statement....SOME people do.....McBeane has become adept at NOT showing his cards or tipping his hand IMO....."LeSean McCoy is definitely in our plans for 2019"...oh wait.........

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...that's a pretty all inclusive statement....SOME people do.....McBeane has become adept at NOT showing his cards or tipping his hand IMO....."LeSean McCoy is definitely in our plans for 2019"...oh wait.........

Sorry meant the ones that are adamantly saying that is not what Beane will do because he said he won’t spend in UFA or Beane said we do not need a No1 WR. 

and after Watching football all these years people still take what comes out public from Organization as gospel. It is Lying season people. 

I think the ONLY thing we can say for sure about Beane and McD they will upgrade anywhere, will not be afraid to Move on from a player, like “football players”, manipulate draft position, and want a “Vet” in each room. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sorry meant the ones that are adamantly saying that is not what Beane will do because he said he won’t spend in UFA or Beane said we do not need a No1 WR 

...we're good......I for one think he'll spend in FA, but don't see him throwing "crazy money" around (he cleaned up THAT mess)........if I remember a quote correctly, he said" we assign a value to a player and that's it"..........go back to McCarron....Bungles wanted a 2nd.......McCarron hits FA market and McBeane waits until feeding frenzy is over....there's McCarron still unsigned and THEN he picked him up at his price.....we'll never know if he would have worked out because of Peterman-mania (COUGH).......another McBeane quote (paraphrased), "the signing of Duke Williams made drafting a WR early not a top priority"...either he overestimated Duke or Duke didn't fit with Daboll......I'm guessing the whole scenario has him reevaluating his 2020 Draft Board, not so much for a true #1 but rather drafting one if not more (or UDFA value)....also see him spending dollars to keep some current guys "in the fold"....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we're good......I for one think he'll spend in FA, but don't see him throwing "crazy money" around (he cleaned up THAT mess)........if I remember a quote correctly, he said" we assign a value to a player and that's it"..........go back to McCarron....Bungles wanted a 2nd.......McCarron hits FA market and McBeane waits until feeding frenzy is over....there's McCarron still unsigned and THEN he picked him up at his price.....we'll never know if he would have worked out because of Peterman-mania (COUGH).......another McBeane quote (paraphrased), "the signing of Duke Williams made drafting a WR early not a top priority"...either he overestimated Duke or Duke didn't fit with Daboll......I'm guessing the whole scenario has him reevaluating his 2020 Draft Board, not so much for a true #1 but rather drafting one if not more (or UDFA value).....

true. But I also don’t think it was just duke that was just the name he used maybe trying to promote Duke’s skills. Or they were going into the 2019 draft looking for that Big WR and with Duke signed made that Big Body WR lower priority. 

the reality is signing Brown, Beasley, Duke, what looked like a turned corner with Foster is likely what made WR a lower priority. 

I agree that they have their set financial value for each position (As they should) that they will not blow in UFA maybe that is 15M AAV for a DE. But that same set financial value will also be in place for our own as well. It isn’t going (well shouldn’t) go up because well we drafted the guy so willing to pay more. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

true. But I also don’t think it was just duke that was just the name he used maybe trying to promote Duke’s skills. Or they were going into the 2019 draft looking for that Big WR and with Duke signed made that Big Body WR lower priority. 

the reality is signing Brown, Beasley, Duke, what looked like a turned corner with Foster is likely what made WR a lower priority. 

I agree that they have their set financial value for each position (As they should) that they will not blow in UFA maybe that is 15M AAV for a DE. But that same set financial value will also be in place for our own as well. It isn’t going (well shouldn’t) go up because well we drafted the guy so willing to pay more. 

certainly agree bud.....think that the WR corp needs to be a focal point, BUT with the TBD Collegiate Ball pundits (I don't get to see college ball so I'd NEVER venture into names/probable picks) saying this is the "deepest class in years (Jeremiah said "perhaps the fastest class in history"), I could see McBeane trading down in the 1st to grab an extra 2nd, and look for WR value versus using #22 for a WR......probably wrong though....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

certainly agree bud.....think that the WR corp needs to be a focal point, BUT with the TBD Collegiate Ball pundits (I don't get to see college ball so I'd NEVER venture into names/probable picks) saying this is the "deepest class in years (Jeremiah said "perhaps the fastest class in history"), I could see McBeane trading down in the 1st to grab an extra 2nd, and look for WR value versus using #22 for a WR......probably wrong though....

it is really deep. However after about mid second that depth really will be thinned out. Then you start seeing I skill set WRs that are very raw in other areas. 

if they could move from 22 to say 28 and get a second in return they absolutely should do it. The value for WR is still there at 28 and will get a good one. 

my worry is all these people saying it is a deep class wait until round 2 are going to see round 2 come and the depth at WR thinned dramatically. 

and that will happen because the positional depth at other groups is lacking in this draft. So the VALUE is going to be WR 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

it is really deep. However after about mid second that depth really will be thinned out. Then you start seeing I skill set WRs that are very raw in other areas. 

if they could move from 22 to say 28 and get a second in return they absolutely should do it. The value for WR is still there at 28 and will get a good one. 

my worry is all these people saying it is a deep class wait until round 2 are going to see round 2 come and the depth at WR thinned dramatically. 

...thanks....sounds like a prime position and strategy.......when you think about McBeane's staff consisting of 17+, many of whom are former NFL VP's of Player Personnel or Directors of Pro Player Personnel, I suspect (OR HOPE) they've done their homework relative to talent drop off...........