My Off-Season Primer: Postion Group - TE

MAJBobby

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think that Dawson Knox can be a TE1, but I'm not opposed to adding to this position.

Tyler Kroft getting injured early was bad for him, and when he came back, he didn't do much.

Tommy Sweeney has good potential, but is not likely a starter in this league.

Lee Smith is primarily a blocker, and Jason Croom is completely outclassed by this group.

Adding another TE via free agency would be great, the idea of having Austin Hooper on the team is tantalizing, but I doubt that the Bills are going to approach free agency that way. I think they may be content to go with who they have and address other needs.

Drafting a Tight End is possible, but they may wait until Day 3 to do that.

Knox & Sweeney are the foundation to build on. I like Kroft, but the injury issue is a big problem, and I would be fine if he was cut from the team.

Lee Smith has been frustrating with a few costly penalties this season and he doesn't add much to the offense. However, McDermott loves his team leaders, and Smith is good at that. I would not be shocked if Smith sticks around because of that.

Keep Knox & Sweeney for sure. I'm a bigger fan of Hunter Henry over Hooper. I could care less what they do with Smith and Kroft. Both were hugely disappointing this year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Keep Knox & Sweeney for sure. I'm a bigger fan of Hunter Henry over Hooper. I could care less what they do with Smith and Kroft. Both were hugely disappointing this year.

I do think Henry can come cheaper and easier to built Beane’s easy outs because of his INJ history

I could see Hooper happening for two reasons.

1) Knox and Sweeney are basically our top two tight ends going into next year. Smith is limited to being a 6th offensive lineman, while Kroft is usually unavailable.

2) McDermott and Beane consistently talk about Players biggest ability being availability ,yet signed Kroft, who showed he had a hard time staying on the field. While he was a feel good story for getting back the last handful of games, I believe he showed he’s unable to stay healthy. If they can bring in a guy like Hooper I could see them doing it because if gives you optimal return (70+ catches) for limited expense ($10M for a premier tight end versus $13M for a free agent receiver like Robby Anderson).