It is hard to win in the NFL. What is the next step in the process?

Chaos

They need some serious upgrading to the coaching on offense. I would get a co-head coach on offense that can get his own OC. The emphasis should be on running at least 25 times a game with variety and creativity. Since McD isn't that skilled for that side of the ball I would 1st put the emphasis on coaching so Allen has 2 reads max per play and can focus on execution instead of mental chess.

2nd Get a RB in the 3-4th round that's 5-10" or 6'-1" and weighs at least 210 to help Singletary.

Cut Kroft, Murphy & Star and put that money into a 6' or taller elite WR in free agency. 

Draft a tackle or DE in the first round. Get an OLB in the 2nd.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Dick Jauron was not wrong when he said it was hard to win in the NFL. 

The bills finished 6th of 16 AFC teams this year (give the tiebreak to the Pats, since they beat the Bills twice).    Advancing to the Super Bowl requires getting past those five teams (plus holding off other teams).   The Bills have completed three full years of a rebuild.  The have draft picks and cap space, and appear to have a stable coaching staff.  Lets take a quick review of the five teams ahead of us. 

5.  Patriots.  As long as Belichick is there, the Pats will have a coaching edge.  Pats may lose Brady (or Brady has declined to irrelevance) and Josh McDaniel .  Pats defense is on par with the Bills.  Their non-QB offensive play-makers are on par or slightly better than the Bills.  All in all, it does seem possible, but not a given that the Bills move past the Patriots
4. Titans.  Titans seem fluky.  Vrabel seems to be the real deal as a coach.  If they retain Henry, their play-makers on offense definitely are better than the Bills.  Hard to tell if Tannehill is born again, or having a fluke season.  If Tannehill is born again, the Titans are ascending. Will not be easy to catch. If Tanehill is a fluke we should get by them. 
3. Texans.  Texans just beat us.  Their is no reason to expect them to decline.  They will be tough to pass. 
2. Chiefs.  Chiefs have a better head coach and a better QB.  They have better play-makers, and are a pretty young group.  They will be tough to be pass
1. Ravens.  Ravens have a better head coach, a better QB, and a better O line.  They are also a pretty young group with no imminent salary cap issues. 

Other teams. Chargers seem on the decline.  Colts have a stable coaching situation, but no QB.  Jacksonville seems to be pretty bad overall.  Jets seem awful.  Raiders have stable coaching and some pretty good pieces. Held back by mediocre QB play. Broncos seem to be spinning their wheels.  Bengals are lost.  Steelers are without a QB, unless Ben surprise me. Browns will have a better coach most likely . I think Mayfield sucks personally, but if others are right about him, the Browns could turn things around.  Flores has impressed me with the Dolphins, but without a QB, they should remain mostly not a threat. 

The 2020 Bills won't be playing the 2019 Bills.  My question is NOT what will the Bills do to improve vs themselves. My question for the TBD world, is what do the Bills have to do to beat the Pats, Titans, Texans, Chiefs and Ravens, and hold off the others? 

If Tannehill is reborn lol.??? Damn I needed that. The defenses are keying on Henry so much that he's bound to have a some good games(Hint Daboll). Yesterday he had the least amount of passing yards(72) in a playoff win since 2009. Keeping with that train of thought yesterday Derrick Henry had the second biggest percentage of his team's total yards in a playoff win ever at 75%. If Josh was only so lucky.

2 hours ago, familykwi said:

Now that we've tasted success, we need to start to develop sustainable success.  The draft needs to focus on improving athleticism all over the field.  Free agency needs to continue to be fiscally responsible.  We don't deviate from the plan because we feel we're a player away.  We're not, so we need to continue to stockpile assets.

Players leaving for high salaries are not a bad thing.  They lead to compensatory picks.  That's how we continue to keep building and replace age.  Some of our players have outplayed their contracts (Phillips & maybe Shaq for example) may price them out of town.

That said, whomever they decide is integral towards maintaining continuity and would continue to play at a high level (and contract) needs to be signed as early in the process as can be done (hello Mr. White).

At the same time, we need to continue to find players like Poyer, Hughes & Phillips on other rosters and add to our depth and can also outplay their contracts.

I also think our coaching and administrative staffs need to have sit downs with colleagues and retired coaches to pick brains and fill in gaps that they may be overlooking.

EVERYONE has room for growth.

This is exactly what McBeane would say.  Exactly.   Sustainable success.   Improved athleticism.  Fiscally responsible.  

Players WILL leave.  What's key is understanding which plays are key to long-term success and keeping them.  

Everyone has room for growth is at the heart of McDermott's process.   Everyone.   

Thanks.