Amatuer team takes NHL team to court

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ada_stanley_cup

What started out as a joke, may turn into an open tournament for the Stanley Cup. The Canadian courts are considering the arguement that a work stoppage by the NHL does not preclude the cup being awarded by another means. The key arguemnt may be what terms Lord Stanley set down, and by what agreement the NHL became the stewards of the cup.

This could turn into a VERY interesting situation.

PTR

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ada_stanley_cup

What started out as a joke, may turn into an open tournament for the Stanley Cup.  The Canadian courts are considering the arguement that a work stoppage by the NHL does not preclude the cup being awarded by another means.  The key arguemnt may be what terms Lord Stanley set down, and by what agreement the NHL became the stewards of the cup.

This could turn into a VERY interesting situation.

PTR

304419[/snapback]

The status of the Cup was the subject of an article in The Hockey News some weeks ago. It'd be a shame to not have it awarded because of the NHL putzes.

Hell at least somebody has the right idea... the Cup is there for the best existing team in the world right now, and as it stands that team is not visible on American television.

My proposal is to let the minor leaguers play for it. Go Amerks!!!

The problem they are going to face is that the NHL "adopted" the trophy as their own many years ago. While it ORIGINALLY was intended to be for the best hockey team in the land, its become NHL property since then. A shame, but I think the NHL wins this one and screws over us hockey fans.

Hell at least somebody has the right idea... the Cup is there for the best existing team in the world right now, and as it stands that team is not visible on American television.

My proposal is to let the minor leaguers play for it. Go Amerks!!!

304421[/snapback]

And the irony there would be that a team called the Americans is awarded a trophy that is supposed to go to the best team in Canada.

The problem they are going to face is that the NHL "adopted" the trophy as their own many years ago.  While it ORIGINALLY was intended to be for the best hockey team in the land, its become NHL property since then.  A shame, but I think the NHL wins this one and screws over us hockey fans.

304430[/snapback]

I guess that is for a court to decide. But really, what's the big frickin' fuss? The NHL could stand to score some nice guy points right now. What would be the harm in having a tournament, or letting the AHL clubs vie for the cup?

PTR

I guess that is for a court to decide.  But really, what's the big frickin' fuss?  The NHL could stand to score some nice guy points right now.  What would be the harm in having a tournament, or letting the AHL clubs vie for the cup?

PTR

304448[/snapback]

Plus, it would be a nice backhanded "up yours" to the NHLPA. "Well, gee, union guys...if you hadn't been negotiating off in la-la-land, maybe some of your people would have the Cup."

Ain't going to happen, though. Giving up the Stanley Cup would be a practical admission that the NHL is no longer a going concern...which, no matter what the accuracy of that statement is, the NHL is never going to willingly admit.

Ain't going to happen, though.  Giving up the Stanley Cup would be a practical admission that the NHL is no longer a going concern...which, no matter what the accuracy of that statement is, the NHL is never going to willingly admit.

304467[/snapback]

Yes but if they let NHL farm teams (aka AHL teams) compete for the cup, they are technically NOT giving up control of the cup.

PTR

The way I understand it is the NHL doesn't actually own the Cup. Any team can challenge the current Cup holder to a series for rights to the Cup.

304689[/snapback]

From here

"In 1947 there was a formal agreement between the trustees whereby the league was delegated the full authority ... making the Stanley Cup a competition for NHL teams," points out Gary Meagher, the NHL vice-president of public relations. He's right. You can check it in Total Hockey, 2nd Edition. Page 355. But wait...! The text goes on: "the agreement shall remain in force so long as the league continues to be the world's leading professional hockey league as determined by it's playing calibre, and in the event of dissolution or other termination of the National Hockey League, the Stanley Cup shall revert to the custody of the trustees."

The way I understand it is the NHL doesn't actually own the Cup. Any team can challenge the current Cup holder to a series for rights to the Cup.

304689[/snapback]

This should answer your question....

from link

"According to the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Stanley Cup is no longer a challenge cup; since 1947, its trustees have had an agreement with the National Hockey League to "determine and amend competition for the Stanley Cup.""

From here

""the agreement shall remain in force so long as the league continues to be the world's leading professional hockey league as determined by it's playing calibre, and in the event of dissolution or other termination of the National Hockey League, the Stanley Cup shall revert to the custody of the trustees."

304693[/snapback]

OR OTHER TERMINATION! That is the phrase the judges will judge! Does a lockout and a lost season amount to a termination? ALSO, if it is no longer the "world's leading professional hockey league" then are they still entitled to the cup?

PTR