If Losman is our first round pick this year...

Actually, we only sacrificed a fifth last year. We gave up the 2nd to move 20 + positions to make our 2nd selection in Round 1. As of now, that's both our starting QB and WR.

As far as I'm concerned, we gave up a 5th in 2004 ( who cares ) and a 1st this year. In the year of the nobody draft, 2005, this seems like a wise move.

For that matter.... with our second round choice that we traded to them Dallas selected Julius Jones.

I saw Jones play quite a few games and he looked awesome!!

Followong Donahoes analogy....certainly Julis Jones who be a high first round pick this year.

302432[/snapback]

But he's a pretty bad quarterback which is the postion we needed to fill.

For that matter.... with our second round choice that we traded to them Dallas selected Julius Jones.

Followong Donahoes analogy....certainly Julis Jones who be a high first round pick this year.

302432[/snapback]

Did you see Lee Evans play? I think he looked awesome as well.

Actually, we only sacrificed a fifth last year. We gave up the 2nd to move 20 + positions to make our 2nd selection in Round 1. As of now, that's both our starting QB and WR.

As far as I'm concerned, we gave up a 5th in 2004 ( who cares ) and a 1st this year. In the year of the nobody draft, 2005, this seems like a wise move.

302431[/snapback]

I'd take my chanches with many of this year's "nobodies"... :doh:

who were our second and fifth round choices last year?

302423[/snapback]

They were traded. Sorry, but that was the deal.

Donahoe was shopping a deal for JP with every team on the board after the Evans pick. Dallas was the first team to bite. Green Bay was going to to pick JP if we did not (allegedly).

I'm still trying to figure out who we would have picked for QB this year if we did not make the trade. The thought of having to use a first round pick on a QB this year is rather frightening.

I'd take my chanches with many of this year's "nobodies"... :doh:

302443[/snapback]

Strictly an opinion of actual Blue Chip players, worthy ($$) of a first round pick this year.

I always look forward to draft day and can see plenty of players who can help us.

Everybody gets excited about the draft because well, its fun to look at stats and rankings, it's like a grab-bag exhilaration for your team. Unfortunately it doesnt always pan out. So, when you see a guy that you like you go get him. Julius Jones was not on everyone's radar last year, but here at school we knew he was for real and I was thrilled for him when he got a shot in Dallas. Proof that you dont need a 1st rounder to get an impact player. Our team is on the cusp of being very good. As long as the line gells and Losman can avoid making too many rookie mistakes we can expect to make great strides past last year. I'm just wary when people lose their minds, go in panic mode and then build these young guys up to the point they're willing to trade anyone on our team just for the right to a pick. The value in this draft is in the 2nd and 3rd even more than most years because of a lack of consensus on top 20 players. If we flip-flop 2nd rders with AZ I consider the trade a success for giving us a serviceable lineman in place of a malcontent we werent going to keep past this year but mainly because moving up will allow us to snag who we really covet- David Bass/Chris Spencer

I'm still trying to figure out who we would have picked for QB this year if we did not make the trade.  The thought of having to use a first round pick on a QB this year is rather frightening.

302446[/snapback]

Yhe thought is frightening because not only would we have had to use a 1st round pick for a QB this year, but there is a real possibility that we would have needed to trade even more than a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder to move our 20th pick in 2005 to the 9th pick (where the successful RoboQB was taken by Pitt last year or even higher as this years weaker QB crop is going to result in the best QBs likely being gone after the top 5 picks.

Had we waited until this year to select our QB of the future, we likely would have likely:

1. Gone into this season with Kelly Holcomb as our definite #1 QB or we would have been forced to give up even more value for Garcia or someone.

2. Had to have parted with value to move up from a #2 2005 draft position to get into the top spot where a Rodgers or some other QB many judge to be of lesser potential than JP can be had.

3. Any QB drafted in 2005 would not have the years experience with the Bills and NFL football which JP now has because we traded the 2005 pick for the 2004 pick.

4. Instead of the lower contract level which came from picking our 2005 QB at the slot we got JP, we would have to pay even more for our QB of the future if we took him with this year's #20 pick (if w had not traded it to Dallas) and actually even a much higher contract and risk as we likely would have had to trade up to get Rodgers or someone.

Trading the 2005 choice for the 2004 choice used on JP looks like a far and far away better move for filling the QB hole than not having made the deal and trying to address it this year.

Did you see Lee Evans play? I think he looked awesome as well.

You might want to re-read the post....it has nothing to do with Lee Evans.

302481[/snapback]

But it was about our first round drafting.

1. Gone into this season with Kelly Holcomb as our definite #1 QB or we would have been forced to give up even more value for Garcia or someone.

2. Had to have parted with value to move up from a #2 2005 draft position to get into the top spot where a Rodgers or some other QB many judge to be of lesser potential than JP can  be had.

3. Any QB drafted in 2005 would not have the years experience with the Bills and NFL football which JP now has because we traded the 2005 pick for the 2004 pick.

4. Instead of the lower contract level which came from picking our 2005 QB at the slot we got JP, we would have to pay even more for our QB of the future if we took him with this year's #20 pick (if w had not traded it to Dallas) and actually even a much higher contract and risk as we likely would have had to trade up to get Rodgers or someone.

302560[/snapback]

Don't forget #5, which would have been go into 2005 with Drew as our QB, which is probably the most likely scenario.

302432[/snapback]

And if the Bills had selected Julius Jones with that pick last year this board would have gone ape sh--. So what's your point?

You're probably right. Both teams made out.

302433[/snapback]

I am sorry, but all we know for certain is that Dallas did quite well on the deal.

Losman proved ZERO in 04. The only thing he has proven in 05 is that he knows how to make a stupid remark to some kid.

It will take a while to determine how TD made out on this trade.