What I liked about today (and all season)

Buffalo716

Leslie Frazier took some lumps early on a few years ago and some wondered about his Capabilities but I must say that he is a brilliant defensive coordinator paired with a brilliant defensive mind in McDermott

Every team has ups and downs but the one thing about Frazier's and McDermott's gameplanning and Frazier's play calling are the way THEY dictate the game

Frazier rarely plays reactionary football and is always setting the pace defensively. The way they disguise coverages pre snap and what they show post snap is super impressive and shows high level coaching

It's not just disguising looks either which they've been masterful at.. when I say Frazier dictates what the offense will do , I mean he forces the QB to go to where Frazier wants the ball to go

His playcalling which has featured alot of cover 4 palms ( a trap concept) has been very successful.  In some ways Frazier's amd McDermott's cover 4 palms has man elements

Imagine  X Y as wide recievers in a set

Tre is over Y and Hyde deep over X. Normal man would be Tre Vs Y and Hyde Vs X in

cover 0

In cover 4 both would be in quarters which would open up out routes

This is the genius of Palms ...

In cover 4 palms in the same WR setup X Y

And same defensive pairing with Tre and Hyde in cover 4 palms.. Tre over Y , Hyde over X

An out route by X turns Tre into man and he is allowed to jump the route. While Hyde will then take Y

This is a trap that baits the QB into throwing at Tre and his reaction, instincts and quickness allows him to be a force in palms

There are lots of other ways Frazier and McDermott are Dictating where the ball will go but this is a shining example imo

Which highlights coaching , instincts, and the ability to execute high level concepts at a high degree

Tre is also perfect at executing this concept

Sorry Probably one of my longest posts ever but the complexity of our defense is so amazing to watch and breakdown 

GO Bills!

8-3

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yea it is something both Belichick and Saban have always used lots of. It takes two things I think - high level defensive coaching (I mean imagine Rex and his mob trying to implement a coverage matching system? They couldn't execute a basic cover 2 shell properly) and high IQ football players. Critical to the way the Bills use it is the relationship between Hyde and Poyer. It is why I keep saying the Bills should pay Poyer a modest extension. That pairing have fantastic chemistry and at this point, in year 3, their understanding of the scheme is so advanced they give McDermott and Frazier so many options. 

I think you are right about Frazier and about his ability, for the most part, to make the ball go where he wants it to go. I said it week 1 when Crowder had double figure receptions against us but the Jets scored only 8 points offensively - that was by design. The Bills were giving the Jets that to take away other things - Bell and Anderson most notably. Equally some of those throws Wallace has given up underneath are tough on him because that is where the Bills are trying to make the throw go. 

The one thing you can be assured of is fans generally want to blitz more and don't want any soft zone coverage. But to come out blitzing every play with man on the backend is just not realistic... and it probably isn't smart either. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is something both Belichick and Saban have always used lots of. It takes two things I think - high level defensive coaching (I mean imagine Rex and his mob trying to implement a coverage matching system? They couldn't execute a basic cover 2 shell properly) and high IQ football players. Critical to the way the Bills use it is the relationship between Hyde and Poyer. It is why I keep saying the Bills should pay Poyer a modest extension. That pairing have fantastic chemistry and at this point, in year 3, their understanding of the scheme is so advanced they give McDermott and Frazier so many options. 

I think you are right about Frazier and about his ability, for the most part, to make the ball go where he wants it to go. I said it week 1 when Crowder had double figure receptions against us but the Jets scored only 8 points offensively - that was by design. The Bills were giving the Jets that to take away other things - Bell and Anderson most notably. Equally some of those throws Wallace has given up underneath are tough on him because that is where the Bills are trying to make the throw go. 

The one thing you can be assured of is fans generally want to blitz more and don't want any soft zone coverage. But to come out blitzing every play with man on the backend is just not realistic... and it probably isn't smart either. 

I 100% agree about the Crowder thing. Totally by design

They were completely cool with Crowder having 32 catches ? but only somehow managing like 5 ypc lol that was Frazier Dictating the ball that way

And I have always been a fan of heavy disguised combo zone schemes with mixes of cover 1 and random blitzing mixed in

I will be honest I don't know the blitz percentages over the course of the season.  But it looks and feels like Frazier has dialed up more pressures in a variety of ways.  It seems like he is bringing more pressure with overloads to one side in addition to simply sending more pass rushers.  Maybe what I am seeing is a simple product of poor opposing QB and O-line play.  But it seems more than that and it appears to be working.  Every NFL team is going to make plays and every NFL player is going to give up some plays.  Forcing the other team into mistakes and minimizing your own is the key to success.  If not for the penalties today, it probably is a 30 point win.  

What a lovely surprise to wake up to a brief analysis from you well edumucated technical guys…

per Ethan:  “       It seems like he is bringing more pressure with overloads to one side in addition to simply sending more pass rushers.  Maybe what I am seeing is a simple product of poor opposing QB and O-line play.  But it seems more than that and it appears to be working.    “

does that explain Shaq roaming free for his two haymaker sacks, or what?  And how great is it to see our guys looking so much smarter than their guys so much of the time?! What a fun game to watch this one was. ?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I will be honest I don't know the blitz percentages over the course of the season.  But it looks and feels like Frazier has dialed up more pressures in a variety of ways.  It seems like he is bringing more pressure with overloads to one side in addition to simply sending more pass rushers.  Maybe what I am seeing is a simple product of poor opposing QB and O-line play.  But it seems more than that and it appears to be working.  Every NFL team is going to make plays and every NFL player is going to give up some plays.  Forcing the other team into mistakes and minimizing your own is the key to success.  If not for the penalties today, it probably is a 30 point win.  

He is definitely starting to dial up more overload blitzes and more blitzing in general

Edmunds , Milano in particular have been bringing the heat from a variety of spots recently

Milano has been great from the edge in 43 under

Nice thread op, when the comparison to RR was mentioned, I thought to myself how he wrecked a perfectly good defense upon arrival. It’s great having actual thinkers do the coaching.

Go Bills!! 

• Like (+1) 1