Received My Ourlads Draft Guide Today

Mark VI

Ourlads avoids the hype and gives balanced evals of players. Their ratings prove to be the best over time. Actual scouts writing up these evals. Overall, this draft class is below average. Some quick observations.

1. CB - The deepest position in this draft, by far. Lots of quality into Rounds 2-3.

2. OT - Better quality than I expected. Not deep but a few more quality players than originally listed.

3. QB Charlie Frye of Akron is rated higher than both Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

4. Weakest positions overall - Outside and Inside LB's, Fullback, TE

5. Baas ( Michigan)- is rated #1 at Center with Spencer (Miss) rated #2.

If you have some players on your mind, I'll give you a brief summary of what Ourlads says.

Do they discuss the overall strength/weakness of the draft? Like everyone else I hear constantly that this is a weak draft. So that probably means there will be a bumper crop of superstars since the so called "experts" often miss the mark completely. Just interested to know what Ourlads has to say about it.

Do they discuss the overall strength/weakness of the draft?  Like everyone else I hear constantly that this is a weak draft.  So that probably means there will be a bumper crop of superstars since the so called "experts" often miss the mark completely.  Just interested to know what Ourlads has to say about it.

301877[/snapback]

Like I said above, it's a down year for Blue Chip prospects and overall depth. Many "Experts" who are rarely if ever wrong, reside here. :P

I can see some good players the Bills should have a shot at. Areas of need are subjective to each poster. We all see things differently.

Like I said above, it's a down year for Blue Chip prospects and overall depth. Many "Experts" who are rarely if ever wrong, reside here.  :P

I can see some good players the Bills should have a shot at. Areas of need are subjective to each poster. We all see things differently.

301904[/snapback]

Sorry, rereading your post I can't believe I missed that you actually answered my question in the first two lines. I guess that's what I get for trying to post and work at the same time.

I am curious to hear Ourlads thoughts on M. Jones, B. Wilkerson and Moats.. Thanks

301922[/snapback]

1. Matt Jones - Ark.- Ranked #9 at WR. Most of the analysis is about his QB abilities.

Key comment - " Luxury pick for a top team. Fourth or fifth round but will probably go higher. Must be dedicated to succeed on the next level "

2. Ben Wilkerson - LSU - Rated #4 at Center - 6-3 299 lbs.- Good explosion in a short area. Good techician, will finish his blocks. Mean streak. Above average speed, quickness,balance and body control. Takes good angles to his blocks but struggles in space. Good athlete. Picks up stunts well. Makes good line calls. Needs to be more consistent. - 3rd round

3. Ryan Moats - LA Tech - 5-8 210 lbs. - ranked #8 at RB - pick and slide runner who can burst to the hole. Elusive. Makes people miss. Cuts back against the flow. Good balance and ability to pick up extra yards. Inconsistent hands on screen passes and hasn't been asked to block. Injury history and durability question, due to size. - 4th round.

Ourlads avoids the hype and gives balanced evals of players. Their ratings prove to be the best over time. Actual scouts writing up these evals. Overall, this draft class is below average. Some quick observations.

1. CB - The deepest position in this draft, by far. Lots of quality into Rounds 2-3.

2. OT - Better quality than I expected. Not deep but a few more quality players than originally listed.

3. QB Charlie Frye of Akron is rated higher than both Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

4. Weakest positions overall - Outside and Inside LB's, Fullback, TE

5. Baas ( Michigan)- is rated #1 at Center with Spencer (Miss) rated #2.

If you have some players on your mind, I'll give you a brief summary of what Ourlads says.

301864[/snapback]

Looks like a fair analysis. Frye evidently has garnered interest by GB. I think there are a few ILB's that will excel. OLB talent seems to be focused on the so-called "tweeners" this year.

There's one fb out there IMO that can carry the load, but I'm saving the name for the upcoming TBD 7-round mock Draft! :P

Thanks Mark.

How do they rate DeMarcus Ware and when do they project him being taken?

Do you think the depth at CB makes a trade involving NC more likely?

301990[/snapback]

Ware is projected is an outside LB in a 3-4 Defense who will rush the passer. Late 1st round pick. See him as a Chris Doleman type. Great pass rushing ability. Finds the ball quickly. Explosive first step and burst. Hustles all over the field. Has trouble shedding blocks and needs to get stronger. Concern that big Tackles will tie him up. Tweener type, situational pass rusher.. 6-4 251 lbs.

Whether the Bills move Clements or not, it may be wise to grab a CB in round 2 or 3.

1. Matt Jones - Ark.- Ranked #9 at WR. Most of the analysis is about his QB abilities.

Key comment - " Luxury pick for a top team. Fourth or fifth round but will probably go higher. Must be dedicated to succeed on the next level "

2. Ben Wilkerson - LSU -  Rated #4 at Center - 6-3 299 lbs.- Good explosion in a short area.  Good techician, will finish his blocks. Mean streak. Above average speed, quickness,balance and body control. Takes good angles to his blocks but struggles in space. Good athlete. Picks up stunts well. Makes good line calls. Needs to be more consistent. - 3rd round

3. Ryan Moats - LA Tech - 5-8 210 lbs. - ranked #8 at RB -  pick and slide runner who can burst to the hole. Elusive. Makes people miss. Cuts back against the flow. Good balance and ability to pick up extra yards. Inconsistent hands on screen passes and hasn't been asked to block. Injury history and durability question, due to size.  - 4th round.

301952[/snapback]

Moats sounds like a perfect replacement for Travis. :P

Moats sounds like a perfect replacement for Travis.  :P

302008[/snapback]

I'd like Cedric Houston. From Tennessee, like Travis. The difference is, he can block. 5-11 225 lbs. Slasher, powerful between the tackles type. Good burst. Not a breakaway runner. Makes people miss. Good cutting ability. Always going forward with good body lean. Uses the stiff arm well ( like Willis ). Good hands on the screen/swing pass. Could last because he ran a 4.6 but Ourlads says he plays faster. They like him a lot and believe he may be overlooked.

Sounds like the ideal backup who could carry the load if Willis was hurt or spell him occasionally.

I'd like Cedric Houston. From Tennessee, like Travis. The difference is, he can block. 5-11 225 lbs. Slasher, powerful between the tackles type. Good burst. Not a breakaway runner. Makes people miss. Good cutting ability. Always going forward with good body lean. Uses the stiff arm well ( like Willis ). Good hands on the screen/swing pass.  Could last because he ran a 4.6  but Ourlads says he plays faster. They like him a lot and believe he may be overlooked.

Sounds like the ideal backup who could carry the load if Willis was hurt or spell him occasionally.

302024[/snapback]

I like what I read about Houston, too. I still think we need a veteran back-up but I certainly wouldn't mind spending a pick on Ced.

Mark...If you have a second....What round does Ourlads have the players being drafted in, that are in my mock draft below....

Just want to see how off base I am! :P

Thanks!

302030[/snapback]

Actually, you're pretty accurate with every round, I'm not kidding. That's basically where they're projected to go.

Actually, you're pretty accurate with every round, I'm not kidding. That's basically where they're projected to go.

302032[/snapback]

Thanks. I'm going to have to get my order in for their publication, since the folks at Ourlads and I see eye to eye! :P

2. Ben Wilkerson - LSU -  Rated #4 at Center - 6-3 299 lbs.- Good explosion in a short area.  Good techician, will finish his blocks. Mean streak. Above average speed, quickness,balance and body control. Takes good angles to his blocks but struggles in space. Good athlete. Picks up stunts well. Makes good line calls. Needs to be more consistent. - 3rd round

301952[/snapback]

This is a guy I've had penciled in for our 3rd for a while now.. Thanks

Hey Mark,

This is only if you have a lot of time, but how many players does Ourlands rate as 1st rouders? 2nd rounders? 3rd rounders? Are they one of the publications that give 50 players 1st round grades when only 32 could possibly earn them? Or are there 32 1st rounders (not necessarily whom they believe will be drafted in the first round though, due to need considerations)?

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about the DT's that may be around for either of our first two picks.

302212[/snapback]

Marcus Spears ( LSU ), Shawn Cody ( USC ) and Louis Castillo ( Northwestern ) are all projected to be mid to late 1st round. Attaj Hawthorne ( Wisconson ) is projected early to mid 2nd round but is higher on most boards.

The next in line is Johnathon Babineaux of Iowa, who I saw as our pick in a couple mock drafts. He was a demon at the college level but is only 6-2 and 286 lbs. Concern he may not have the size at this level, although they say he's extremely strong and can push the guard into the backfield. A One gap DT with explosive speed and lots of moves to penetrate. Excellent pass rusher. Says he may need to compensate with his quickness and agility.

At #6 is someone I like, Mike Patterson of USC, who's only knock is his height ( 5-11 1/2 ). Weighs 295 and amazingly, seems to be a 2 gap DT who could also play the 1 gap. Nicknamed Mini-Sapp for his build and quickness, like a young Warren. Says he can stack up the double team. Anchors well and is exceptionally strong. Big hitter. Explosive move and hustles all out on every play. Good hands. Long arms to keep lineman off. Quick to shed and locate. Quick reaction to pulls. Very intense. Cat quick and doesn't stay blocked. Instictive. Consistent relentless effort. Explosive player who makes plays.

I did see Patterson as our pick in one mock draft and saw film on him recently. This guy plays out of his mind and is projected to go from the middle of round 2 to the early 3rd. Someone will get a good player who's only knock is his height. Has the power, hustle, long arms and ability.

Another guy who could be there in Round 4 is Anthony Bryant of Alabama. 6-3 337 lbs. A big 2 gap DT who doesn't provide a pass rush ( only 1 1/2 sacks ) but a complete plugger/anchor against the run who uses his power to shut down the middle. Gets under blockers and outmuscles them. Sounds like an ideal player to spell Adams in the rotation.

Hey Mark,

This is only if you have a lot of time, but how many players does Ourlands rate as 1st rouders? 2nd rounders?  3rd rounders?  Are they one of the publications that give 50 players 1st round grades when only 32 could possibly earn them?  Or are there 32 1st rounders (not necessarily whom they believe will be drafted in the first round though, due to need considerations)?

302216[/snapback]

They list 26 players with ratings of 9.00 or above, meaning worthy of the 1st round. 39 in Round 2, including K Mike Nugent ( 8.24 ). 28 in Round 3.