Some QB Metrics from the 2018 QB Draft

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No this is a coaching issue.....  I blame the schemes & coaching 75%, JA 25%......  

Sorry my imaginary 300 yard threshold is my measuring point and can't believe the Bills have gone 40 games.

29!!!!! QB's have done it already this year.......

There is usually a major portion of those who did so in a losing cause so I tend not to think so highly of that achievement.

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No this is a coaching issue.....  I blame the schemes & coaching 75%, JA 25%......  

Sorry my imaginary 300 yard threshold is my measuring point and can't believe the Bills have gone 40 games.

Hey, I'm happy with Josh's development ... my comment was (mostly) in jest. But I agree with your point: at some time in this season -- maybe it won't come till the playoffs the way things are going -- we're gonna surrender a bunch of points, and we'll see how Josh does in a shootout. My hunch is that he'll do fine ... when he's running, improvising, playing loose is when he's at his best.

Enough with the wins as a QB stat. They aren't. Wins and losses are a team stat.

Judging a QB by whether a kicker nails a last-minute potential game-winner, or whether an MLB manages a drive-ending tackle or a CB catches or drops a potential pick-six ... it's just stupid. 

And more, Fourth Quarter Comebacks and Game-Winning Drives are wildly affected by circumstances. As has been pointed out many times before, Aaron Rodgers has averaged one 4th Quarter comeback per year. Exactly 1.0. Is it because he's not clutch? Or is it because the Packers are usually ahead going into the final quarter when he's playing QB?

1.0 4th quarter comebacks per year and around 1.3 Game Winning Drives per year. 

Rodgers has few of these because of the circumstances. Those stats are extremely dependent on situation and context.

A better pair of stats would be something along the lines of:

GWD percentage = Game-Winning Drives / Game-Winning Drive Chances

and

4QC percentage = 4th Quarter Comebacks / 4th Quarter Comeback Chances

But nobody's going to sift through this and check the situations for all the games and do the math for all the quarterbacks. Me either.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Most 300 yard games come in games where there are a lot of pass attempts. The Bills are well below average in attempts per game.

And very few 300 yard come to QBs hitting none of their passes over 30 air yards yet this year. Which is Josh. He was 0 for 8 in over 30 air yard passes for the bye week, and I think after Miami, that's 0 for 9.

https://theathletic.com/1277203/2019/10/08/zay-jones-trade-josh-allens-deep-ball-and-playoff-chances-thoughts-on-the-bills-at-the-bye/

You need chunk plays or to pass a lot. Neither is happening here.

Edited by Thurman#1