Bills 4th in the league in passing frequency in "neutral" situations through 3 weeks.

Logic

Found the below chart on Twitter. It shows the frequency of passing in "neutral" down and distance situations, i.e. not 3rd and long, not down big on the scoreboard, etc.

EDIT*** it seems they may have deleted the picture in the time it took me to post this. It was a chart, and the Bills were listed 4th after KC, Arizona, and Cinncinatti. If I find the chart elsewhere, I'll re-post it.

This chart tells me two things:

1.) Brian Daboll is calling a modern offense each week. The Bills are right there amongst known pass-happy teams like the Chiefs, Cardinals, and Bengals. This alone is big news. The Bills have been stuck in the last century for years now. Run, run, pass, punt. No more. Of course, they should probably be even HIGHER on this chart, if not for the fact that they've come out a bit conservative in the second half the past few weeks.

2.) The Bills trust Josh Allen. They are not babying him, they are not putting handcuffs on him. They have given him ownership of this team and said "here ya go, kid, sink or swim".

Just thought this was all very interesting.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Yard per pass used to do the breakdown of bills games. Haven't seen anything from them posted this year. Are they no longer doing that?

My recollection is that he was sort of "first on the scene" as far as Twitter Bills breakdowns, but he only did it for fun as a hobby. Then the Cover 1 account and website started up and, as far as I can tell, YardsPerPass stopped doing nearly as many clips and breakdowns. It seems to me he was sort of "usurped" by Cover 1.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

My recollection is that he was sort of "first on the scene" as far as Twitter Bills breakdowns, but he only did it for fun as a hobby. Then the Cover 1 account and website started up and, as far as I can tell, YardsPerPass stopped doing nearly as many clips and breakdowns. It seems to me he was sort of "usurped" by Cover 1.

Yea agreed. but YardsPerPass still shows gifs of the game every week and mentions some stuff. But its less in depth than it used to be. Still good though.

It's interesting but the numbers skew, in my opinion, since the Bills started the Jets game with like 17 passes in a row. I think those numbers will change as the season goes on and the weather gets worse in the Northeast and Midwest. That said, the Bills clearly, in my opinion, now have a contemporary NFL passing and running scheme. I used to be able to just about call every play by down and distance the last 20 years. Not now (except maybe jet sweeps which were just a touch too prevlent last week).